Basement subfloor install

frankphess

I spent the weekend installing a subfloor (Dri-Core) in the basement after encountering some water damage last weekend due to a drain clogged with tree roots and backing up. It was quite easy. All you need is a rubber hammer and a circular saw. It took a weekend to do a 31'x 15' room

It comes in 2'x2' panels and installs with a tongue & groove configuration. Panels are normally $5.98 at Menard's and Home Depot, although they were on sale this weekend at Menard's for $5.44.

While the panels are 2'x2', they are not quite 2'. My drawing showed I would have to cut the last row of panels in half. Instead, there was enough room for a whole panel+, so I gained approx. 7-8 inches over 30'. While Dri-Core recommends using 1/4" spacers around the perimeter for expansion/contraction, I used 2x4's. Carpet to be added this week.

I hope not either. I plan to be more dilligent in the maintenance of my drains. Monthly "root-b-gone", annual rodding, water alarm near the drain, etc., etc. Luckily, I had all my speakers up on spikes, and very recently just spiked my sub. Thanks again to Jacksonbart for that tip. If I hadn't done that, my sub would be sitting on wet carpet, an ugly thought.

My father was the township of nipigon's foreman for over 30 years before he retired. If roots are into your sewer pipe, the only real way to fix the problem is to cut the tree down, the roots will continue to seek water.

At the same time, you may have to replace a few sections of pipe. Using chemical cleaners is a good bet to reduce the chances of back-ups, as well as using a snake regularily. I think the product that the township used was produced by diversy chemical.

Thanks for the advice. A couple of the trees I suspect as the cause are actually on my neighbors property, so chemIcals and annual snaking seem to be my only solution. And a good solution it is, my problem was that I neglected to perform these tasks on a regular basis.