Upgrading in Chicagoland - Need Heritage/vintage Klipsch Info/Opinions

meagain

meagain--

FOR GOODNESS SAKE, GET OFF THE INTERNET AND GO LISTEN TO SOME SPEAKERS!

You've had some kind and helpful offers to listen to some very nice Heritage. Now go do it. You'll never find out what speakers you and your husband like by chatting on this forum. All you'll find here is opinions on what other people like, and, as you can see, many of those opinions are contradictory. The only way you'll find out what you like is by listening.

I remain skeptical. LOL. I've never heard a woman talk about Klipsch, loud, boom, in your face, Yes, tears, etc. Women have admitted the speakers were good, but that's about as far as they have seemed to care.

LOL. But if DrWho or Pete get to meet you, my faith will be restored.

BTW guys, anybody ever heard a woman talk about how much she liked Yes? Not. It's definitely guy stuff. And especially Roundabout - like she's heard that fantastic over and over, and it's tops on her list. LOL.[:D]

LOL - OK OK. I'll shut up. I know I have to listen, just thought I'd whittle the list via opinion.

Colter - I'll look for that thread. I'm impressed with you seeing Yes so many times. And it seems your Mr. Cornwall. Yep, this helps.

I'm leaning towards Khorns & cornwalls right now. I sincerely appreciate everyone's help & I'll be rereading this thread several times. And if anyone has anything they want to unload, give me a holler. (Colter - you don't have a 'House of Klipsch', you have a 'City'. Keep me in mind).

About amps - I read something on About.com about the amp/receiver being critical for these older Klipsches. We knew this when we bought our harmon AVR. We're willing to add something appropriate, but I think I have to pick the speaker first - then work on that aspect. I'm seeing alot of Marantz talked about. I've a friend who I 'know' hasn't turned his on his older (70's/early 80's?) in at least 10 years. Not sure what model, but it's beautiful. Trying to find the model number now but it would be a miracle. Not sure my ears are good enough to tell the difference anyway. Just can't go there right now. Overwhelming.

I thank you all for all your comments & help! Really a great forum!

DrWho, the term that escapes you is either 'projection' or 'transference', neither of which really applies here. My advice was a veiled suspicion that 'Yes', we are being baited. Others are now starting to pick this up. A couple of observations are in order.

First, why the pressure to satisfy so quickly? All here know it takes time to get there and it is nearly impossible to use recommendations from strangers about something as personal as music reproduction.

Second, for a presumed newby I see her use of way too much 'audiophile' vocabulary to ring true. How does she know all the hot buttons?

Third, the demand for extra bass seems lopsided if not a bit selfish, considering that her musician hubby tends the other way - where is his input?

If she is for real, I think the best approach is for both she and her hubby to listen around and learn. In the mean time, Heresys are adequate for Yes, King Crimson, Led Zepplin, Moody Blues, the good Pink Floyd (before DSOTM), Procol Harem, and Emerson Lake & Palmer. The Heresys will also do great for Miles, Duke, Coltrane, Bessy, and the rest. How many here started with them and moved up in a thoughtful and considered fasion? Speaker upgrades, amp upgrades, source upgrades... this is the path to finding a system that is personaly satisfying. Some of the most Khorn appreciative folks on the forum got there by carefully working their way up from the 'lessor' speakers.

Apart from the baiting question, it is good that advise was sought here in the forum. Without our thoughtful intervention she and hubby might have brought home a pair of Heresys and a sub - he listening to jazz on the Heresys in one room, she sitting in front of the sub in another room listening to rock bass lines...[:P]

P.S. The best Yes albums to me are Relayer and Close to the Edge

small cracks in the rubber surround can be 'healed' by rubbing a small coat of RTV silicone over them. I repaired a KG4 surround that was pulling away from the basket for about 3" this way. Use clear fingernail polish on the back side of cone to fix any cracks in cone material itself.

Then get out there and do some listening. We've spoken our piece.

Michael

I remain skeptical. LOL. I've never heard a woman talk about Klipsch, loud, boom, in your face, Yes, tears, etc. Women have admitted the speakers were good, but that's about as far as they have seemed to care.

BTW guys, anybody ever heard a woman talk about how much she liked Yes? Not. It's definitely guy stuff. And especially Roundabout - like she's heard that fantastic over and over, and it's tops on her list. LOL.[:D]

LOLL! How fun you all are! Yes - I was heavily into Yes, Genesis, etc. I did my Prog rock thing.

Sorry, but if flipping channels in the car and I hear 'Roundabout', yes, I turn it off. Give me Gates of Delirium(sp)' - far more interesting.

Yes, I'm going to email Who & Pete. Hopefully 'they' will understand I'm 'real'. LOL

Hey! Are you a primus bullboarder? Also do you have five gallons of diesel? I would recommend cornwalls definetly. That's what I want and need. Or, fortes would work. Thumbs up on the primus too!

OMG - I just ordered '5 gallons' off Amazon! Got it yesterday. The DVD - Haven't watched it yet. Is that what you mean? :) Been listening/watching Halucinogenetics lately while puttering. Whoa - Cornwalls just moved up on my list. :)

LOLL! How fun you all are! Yes - I was heavily into Yes, Genesis, etc. I did my Prog rock thing.

Sorry, but if flipping channels in the car and I hear 'Roundabout', yes, I turn it off. Give me Gates of Delirium(sp)' - far more interesting.

Yes, I'm going to email Who & Pete. Hopefully 'they' will understand I'm 'real'. LOL

Well shucks, if she is for real I may have to be nicer - I love Gates of Delirium (Relayer), too.[:$]

Wow! what a read this thread has been! This thread should be a sticky for anyone wanting to know the opinions on the characteristics of the various Klipsch Heritage line. A great read for sure!

Meagain, Hello and good luck on your decision. Like many others have said, "go listen to some of the generous offers at auditioning".

As for my meager input, I've owned the Forte I's for about 2 years. They are truly great speakers that IMHO are very under priced on the used market. Very accurate sounding, great bass and very pleasing to the eyes too. On the other hand, I recently found a pair of Klipschorns locally and am still blown away at how wonderful they sound. The KHorns have a fullness and believability that is amazing! They do have a different sound that is hard to describe. My source units are not anywhere good enough to do either of my speakers justice, yet they both sound great despite that. The KHorns seemed like the Monoliths on 2001 in my living room when I first lugged them in there, but when they were moved into the corners they take up very little space for how large they are. I'm still keeping my Fortes though.

Some of they guys have said it already; all of us have our opinions, and all of the Heritage line has its pluses and minus, but you really need to listen to them yourself. No amount of research will do you any more good. (I too am a research nut). [:)]

EDIT: I just re-read the posts and your priorities. I need to add ".... and the bass will knock you on your butt." If you rock loud as you say, Rush's YYZ is phenomenal through Corns. You will be absolutely blown away.

Boom! Ding ding ding... We have a winner here! :o Jeff, in the real world - we'd like each other! Bingo!

It doesn't appear broken to me. There is a shadow across the neck of the female threaded end into which the compression driver is screwed. Is that what appears broken? If it is broken, someone appears to have attempted a repair. The threaded male part of the driver would be visible if a section of the horn were missing.

If the horn is indeed broken, it would probably need to be replaced. The cost of a single K400 (or Speakerlab K350) goes from $0 to a couple hundred dollars, depending upon luck and patience.