Upgrading in Chicagoland - Need Heritage/vintage Klipsch Info/Opinions

meagain

I see serious hunting. I'll take all my comments about baiting back (with a right to reserve). LOL.

It looks like a missing chunk to me. If it's something being eyed for purchase, I'd use it as a dickering point for sure. Then, I'd get the replacement part. Can't be that expensive. Ask the folks in Klipsch. They sell parts. You ought to get a better discount than just the part cost due to the hassle of having to mess with it.

meagain,

K-horns are not THAT difficult to place. They also take up very

little floor space. They may well be just the ticket for

you. I LOVE my La Scalas and they are much like K-horns, but they

really need a properly set up pair of subs to complete them.

I'd been so long since I heard the KG series, but I'm sure there will be a family resemblance in the sound.

hmmm...

do I understand this...

Meagain is in search for a great new speaker. She has no evident access to a Khorn. A forum member has offered to let her hear his system yet no apparent contact has been made.

blah blah blah...

now, all the sudden, she pops up with a picture of the BACKSIDE of a Khorn without ANY comments of "whoopee, I'm going to go audition..."??

Furthermore, just how many of us would go audition a pair of speakers and in the process of doing so, see the conversation heading to us being able to see the backside. (who has she found with them since she's evidently not taken up anyone here on offer?)

Now, what are the odds of a happenstance audition somewhere, THEN seeing the backside of them and THEN having a mechanical problem back there (potential chip on horn).

I don't know (nor really care lol) if she's real or not. I just find this sudden insertion of a seemingly cracked horn out of nowhere, rather interesting.

Because I'm working on something that presented to me this morning. And I either take a big leap of faith, or let it go. I am agreeing with the above poster that the flaw is an illusion. I did PM Chicago Pete & need to talk via email, but I need to make a decision right now. On faith. Act now, think later.

Pete - I did get your response to the PM. I'm sorry I didn't respond today. Trying to figure this situation out.

If anyone thinks I'm real and wants to hear what I'm up to, pm me. It would be nice to hear an "it's ok - do it".

This entire thread is total BS! I emailed her twice without a response. Got better things to do. I certainly wont be so free with my invitations in the future. The funny thing is that IM not trying to sell anything:) Pete

I hear ya buddy, and BTW, Mine are not REALLY for sale.......Tom Mobley is building me double bass highly modded ie:ALK wooden midrange, JBL 2404 tweeter, Deano/ALK crossover, et. These new baby's should ROCK my house........heh heh heh. I just thought, since I think the Cornwalls are the BEST jazz speakers made........yes, even better than khorns.......Ask Allan.......I figured maybe the north side was better, or easier for her, and her husband to stop by. Oh well, she said she was gonna email me too. The great news is this, the folks who REALLY exist on this forum are some of the NICEST, most helpful in all of AUDIO[:D][6]

hmmm...

do I understand this...

Meagain

is in search for a great new speaker. She has no evident access

to a Khorn. A forum member has offered to let her hear his system

yet no apparent contact has been made.

blah blah blah...

now,

all the sudden, she pops up with a picture of the BACKSIDE of a Khorn

without ANY comments of "whoopee, I'm going to go audition..."??

Furthermore,

just how many of us would go audition a pair of speakers and in the

process of doing so, see the conversation heading to us being able to

see the backside. (who has she found with them since she's

evidently not taken up anyone here on offer?)

Now, what are the

odds of a happenstance audition somewhere, THEN seeing the backside of

them and THEN having a mechanical problem back there (potential chip on

horn).

I don't know (nor really care lol) if she's real or

not. I just find this sudden insertion of a seemingly cracked

horn out of nowhere, rather interesting.

Yeah, it does seem like most of the chicks around here are virtual.

Tom Mobley is building me double bass highly

modded ie:ALK wooden midrange, JBL 2404 tweeter, Deano/ALK crossover,

et. These new baby's should ROCK my house........heh heh

heh.

Double bass -- you mean two 15-inchers in each cabinet? What kind of veneer is Tom going to use?

Smilin - I PM'd you. :)

Call me crazy, but I just secured a pair of Klipschorns. Done deal. We get them tomorrow morning. This is a big leap of faith here as I've never seen, let alone heard them. I'm going on the oodles of posts on this forum. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I didn't want them to slip away and figured I'd buy and think later. Thinking it might take a long while to find the right combo of price/condition/location. I got the pictures this morning and they look darned nice.

Yes, I fear I won't like them somehow - or that I'll have to be 'retained'. And for stubborn me, that may take awhile. I think hubby's more educated ears will love it. I've spent my day reading. I fear I won't appreciate or like the bass and that "I'd" favor Cornwalls if side by side. Don't know.

We listened to Porcupine Tree 'Deadwing' CD recorded in 5:1. They have a previous release of 5:1 that won some awards for it. It sounded awful. We had the KG4's as mains, a Rogers BBC little guy as a center, and DCM? sides. This told me - wait... Need more speakers. So - we're still in the market.

I hope I don't regret this decision. I think it will be ok 'eventually'. I'm going to be patient. It will take me time & learning to get the room optimal for them as well as the darned "proper amp" deal, and of course the tweaks (crossover) issue. I'm going to try to be objective.

1981 Walnut and they look in beautiful shape. I hope to post pictures tomorrow. Will probably start a new thread if that's ok.

• 4 weeks later...

Poked my "Yes" cd into my crappy CD player with my crappy preamp and crappy Crown amps .... Am I happy? YES!

How come? Maybe it doesn't take much to satisfy me? I don't think so.

Is it the Cornwalls? Maybe..

We all strive to obtain differant goals.

Is my junk good? Yup/Nope. Stereo stuff is so fun.

This has been a good thread. Good reading.

Excuse me whilst I finish my Yes CD.

After this I'll play some Doobie Bros. Listen to the Music.

After that some Eddie Kendricks. Rock ON!