WOW! Look Ma, I'm SOMEBODY now!

D-MAN

I really couldn't tell if your drawings were hand drawn or cad drawn. I thought you must be a very good drafter using pro drafting tools or a cad software I'm not familiar with. Either way, they turned out pretty good. Where do you get that software?

BTW, I'll post pictures of my Classic when my son returns home with the digital camera.

Armando

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the internet here: http://www.cadstd.com/

I wish it did certain things that it doesn't - but it got the job I needed done.

It ain't fancy, but it has practically no learning curve, and I needed something that I could use right off the bat.

For example, all the "hatch" lines had to be individually drawn by me, hence the preponderance of vertical lines (forget about angled hatch lines, etc.).

DM

That's why it looked hand drawn!

AutoCAD is really easy. I ignored the thousand icons, and learned the command shortcuts.. L to draw a line, C for circle, T for trim, E for erase, etc. etc. You really can't get any simpler than that.

I have drawn in AutoCAD some of the drivers/horns that we deal with on the forum...511b, 811b, EV T-35, T-30, EV 15L and 15B's, 1824, SM120, University C15W, cobreflex, etc. (mostly drivers/horns that I use/have). I can share the files to anybody who needs them.

I also have some horn design ideas roughly drawn in AutoCAD that need to be fine tuned and action taken to materialize. Maybe someday, I can also apply for a patent for one. I sure know who to ask for guidance.

Although it was alot of "extra" tedious work, I like the "hand-drawn" look of it, too. The limitations of the software kept me from doing everything I wanted, but perhaps that was a good thing in the long run.

It is in keeping with the historical traditions of the patent office in my opinion, so it was time well-spent, I think.

DM

P.S. One more thing: I NEED A NAME FOR THESE.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I was going to call it the "ASCENT" but my so-called "friends" promptly turned that into "A__scent", so I'm not too happy about that.

Any thoughts? Should I just go with the "C1" or something?

Thanks

D-Man congrats on the pending patent...

I've always thought that those cad programs looked cool to use but I never have.

I was able to play with a finished 3d program of an aircraft a while ago. That was really cool. You had to wear electric 3d glasses and the image was projected on a large screen. It really made you feel like you were in the plane.

Steve

P.S. One more thing: I NEED A NAME FOR THESE. Any ideas are appreciated.

It has to be distinct enough so that it won't be confused with other

audio products, but not so complex that no one will remember.

Ascent is too common in audio, IMHO

How about the "Danahorn" or "Moorehorn" followed by a number like the Fc of the horn... "C40"

OTOH, you could wow your friends with a nane like "Dana-mite" . [;)]

ROb

Yeah, I've thought about "Danahorn". Chad Moore and his brother already have the "Moorehorn" name for their back-loaded model.

I sort of want to stay away from the "Klipschorn" naming format as much as possible, but that brings up all sorts of marketing issues - like how much do I want to (or need to) ride coat-tails, etc.

I like the "C40" idea for the model.

I can't help but remember the "Pontiac 2000 SUX" from the first Robocop movie when naming things....

DM

I'm passing on the MOST IMPORTANT thing there is to know about building DIY horns:

Making them pretty counts for 95%. If they look like hell, no matter how good they sound, you will have to pay someone to get rid of them. If the reverse is true, people will pay you to take them!

You got to think of it as Art - generally very few people can look at an unframed piece and determine its worth. Most have to see it framed and hanging on a gallery wall before they have a clue...

The other available option is to have a pre-planned exit strategy, preferably a person who doesn't particularily care what it looks like as long as its LOUD. Keep an eye peeled for those who might fit this category, they will have their uses when the time comes to unload your previous fiasco to make room for the latest one... they usually come complete with their own truck as another bonus.[;)]

DM

Armando, you NEED to post a thread about your Classics! We want to see more about them!

DM

It looks like you hibernated for a couple of days before Christmas, didn't see a post from you . I started a new thread under Technical Questions about the Classic.

Do you have a chosen name for your horn yet?

Yes, I found the Classic thread. Very nice!

As to names, not really. What do you guys think about the "V2"? It makes sense to me because it's the second version, and now I've already got a V3... I like that better than the MK2 and MK3 which is pretty non-descript.

DM

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I asked Amy to delete D-man's thread ("Armando is PO'd at me", around late March,early April this year.). He stole my design, plus others., including this one that he applied a patent for. And yes, I was very PO,d and posted phrases that should have not been posted. So I requested to delete it.

D-man went into hiding...And has not been "seen" since.

Guilty.

Just a plain thief.

Designer, he is NOT.

This thread started in 2005. If you look back on page 2, I posted a page from Edgar's midrange horn article which is a lot like D-man's "design" (right!!!). Then he posted the Elephant horn drawing, saying he did something like that in 1975. I thought, and probably some of the readers, too, that he meant he designed something like that in 1975. Actually, that's where he copied this horn from. Here's from his email.

"Here is the 1973 "Elephant Horn" - I bought one from the bass player in our band (at the time) and built the other to match.

The designer was a hobbyist who called them "Elephant Horns" - he had 2 cabs stacked and a boat load of high freq. horns on top to compete effectively. I remember them as being real butt kickers - LOUD is all I really remember."

"and the fact that I arrived at the same conclusions as the Elephant horn designer did way back then is not something I'm real happy about - there is nothing new under the sun - except some refinements!"

Yes, it was just copied. and he applied for a patent for it. There is nothing about this horn (what he calls the V2) that qualifies as an invention..

Here's the email in its entirety...

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 3:10 PM
To: armando_senson@amsec.com
Subject: V2 TWIN B (one of my favs) VS. the 1973 "ELEPHANT HORN"

After all these years, I come back to the original design from my youth [bUT NOT INTENTIONALLY]! A friend from high school bought them way back when, and he's still got them! They still work. Note the fabulous Eagle logo of Moore Speakers as well as the luxurious original automotive trunk paint finish. Unfortunately, I only did the logo on one of the cabinets, don't ask me why! They looked better 30 years ago!

Anyway, the TWIN B is a modified and technically more advanced version actually arrived at in a round-about way, the Elephant horn did not really have anything to do with the design, except that the V2 used the same folding pattern. But it is clear that it is not really that different in overall layout, and the fact that I arrived at the same conclusions as the Elephant horn designer did way back then is not something I'm real happy about - there is nothing new under the sun - except some refinements!

The reflectors combines with multiple flare rates should allow for a higher crossover point and usable band width, but the channel dimensions at the throat are the same as the 1973 horn. But the sizes involved (channel width, front baffle, etc.) are dictated by the corner and the overall Fc and required Vb for the drivers. Not much difference there, except for maybe the new one being a tad smaller in footprint.

It's an improvement, but its not really new, nor does it feel like it is entirely my own design. However, it is technically proficient, and is a guaranteed performer as it sits. It's also a very easy build, as far as things go.

Here is the 1973 "Elephant Horn" - I bought one from the bass player in our band (at the time) and built the other to match.

The designer was a hobbyist who called them "Elephant Horns" - he had 2 cabs stacked and a boat load of high freq. horns on top to compete effectively. I remember them as being real butt kickers - LOUD is all I really remember.

I've never scientifically tested the V2's, and they certainly SOUND great, but I suspect that they aren't as smooth as I would feel comfortable having somebody else test them seriously and publish. It's rather hard to tell, they DO sound good, better than Khorns, but that is why I keep searching for the Holy Grail of folded corner horns.

I want something that I won't worry about somebody testing, and something I would feel confident in offering for sale.

This is like a classic Beavis and Butthead show

hehehehe hey buthead..

hehehehe I did it first....

No you didn't Beavis

yes you did, you loser....

No you didn't.. hehehehehehehe

arrrrrrrggg shut up man... I did....

A part of me goes who cares? LOL.

Look, who ever did it.. and made them too... Enjoy the process and your speakers. It is not like your gonna make millions off of this..

People argue over this and that, and ruin friendships over the silliest things?