6.1 all matching ?

dtel

• Moderators

I have read the trend is going in the direction of all identical speakers,no special center or rears.

Well we now have 4 Forte's [thanks] so i took one and put as a center just to try. The plan was to go with all Forte ll's for 6.1.

I have to say I CAN'T BELIVE THE DIFFERENCE once again advice from this forum has helped me find the right direction.

The sound is much more even and exactly the same from mains to center, you cant even hear where one leaves off and the other picks up even if you walk up to them. Same tone same power ,perfect.

Down the road we will get 2 more to complete the 6.1 ,as i have read it will sound Very good, just from hearing the difference in the center channel their is no question how it will sound.

So now i also join the camp in favor of all identical speakers ,a very easy thing to say once you hear them.

edit:

I know Michael i still havent posted about picking up the new forte,s ,I'm going to let the wife post something, at the speed i type you will never read it plus she is better at general bs than me, hope she don,t see that.[:)]

Just a FYI you might want to consider 7.1. I originally thought I would go with 6.1 because I could not believe there would be that much of a difference. When I was running 6.1 it was very "obvious" that there was a speaker behind me. It sort of jumped out at me.

Since switching to 7.1 all 4 surrounds sound much more "surrounding". Others will tell you the exact reason but is has something to do with sound directly behind you almost sounding like it is in front of you. Some sound/ear/head thing. How is that for a scientific explanation? At any rate I found out the reasoning behind it after I have made the switch and liked it better so I am quite sure I was no imagining it.

I second the 7.1 setup, a single mono speaker back there won't have the side to side pans.

See if you can find another single for the center channel or split a pair with someone looking to do the same thing. Unless you can find an Academy on the cheap, cheaper to get another pair of Forte's I would think though.

" have to say I CAN'T BELIVE THE DIFFERENCE once again advice from this forum has helped me find the right direction.

The sound is much more even and exactly the same from mains to center, you cant even hear where one leaves off and the other picks up even if you walk up to them. Same tone same power ,perfect."

Welcome to Heaven Man!

That's what I said when I surrounded myself with Cornwalls for the first time. Can't wait to get the center CW built up, I've experimented with it and used to rally against it, but Indy and some others convinced me. There is NOTHING like that perfect matchup. The speakers just disappear, don't they?

Michael

• Moderators

I think you are correct 7.1 would give more of a fuller sound from sides and rear, But that would require more speakers and a new receiver,hey now it don't sound so bad. No really thats a plan for months down th road,too many other projects going on at the moment, but it does sound good.

Michael you are correct " There is nothing like that perfect matchup" , I did not expect that much of a difference. I have a good guess what that would sound like,one day i will know for sure.

Sorry ,I thought that was somewhat of a complement,really.

I was playing around and replaced my academy that has a kstack with one of my rear forte II's. I also liked the sound of three identical speakers across the front. It was like taking a curtain off the center vocals. I think the tractrix horn of the forte II's breaths much easier than the cones of the academy. That's what made me decide to buy Boomac's quartets. I'll use the quartets for rears and that will free up a forte II for center duty. Someday I hope to go 7.1 with 5 forte II's and the two quartets for center rears. (The space for placement of the center rears the quartets work better).

So I'm still in the market for at least one more forte II, will gladly buy two and just have a spare. I think I'll put my academy upstairs with my quintet system. My upstairs system is mainly used for news and regular TV watching.