Quartets

oldtimer

I am thinking of upgrading my Dad's speakers as a gift, and figure that Quartets would be great without being too large (waf) or expensive (my own parameter). Does anyone have a pair for sale within a day or two of Denton Texas? Also, are there any other comparable alternatives to look for? Thanks.

"There is no sanity clause."

What a great son (or daughter)!! Quartets are great speakers. You should be able to find a really nice pair for around $400. No Quartets are currently listed on ebay or craiglist. I did find a pair of Forte II listed on craiglist. The listing is from November 7th, so the speakers may be sold, but they are in Dallas. Check the following link:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ele/109637944.html

Happy hunting and good luck . . .

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, this forum is full of good people. As for being a good son, when you figure what parents have done for us over the years, I think that giving good sound is only human.

"Free societies are helpful societies. And free societies will be allies against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat."----George W. Bush

Quartets look nice. The sound, though, is definitely user biased. I had a pair once. The speaker has to have a compatible amp or else it's razors on the ears. I don't want to sound negative. It's just that I hate to see one go through a lot of trouble to get a pair shipped and then be unhappy. I had a pair with an Academy center and, for HT, it was great. But for stereo listening, it was harsh. Shop around. Be patient.

Thanks for your input. I have not heard them before, but i have Forte II's and an Academy center so I imagine that they would sound similar to Forte II's for stereo. Was this not your experience? Do they sound more like the Academy and less than the Forte II's, or vice versa, realizing that these are timbre matched? What else would you suggest shopping around for, as queried in my original post?

I bought a pair of quartets new back in 91. Last spring I got some Forte ll's. I thought the Fortes would blow them away but there wasn't as big a difference as I was hoping for. To me they sound fairly similar.The fortes just sound bigger-which they are. Seems like you can get a pair of quartets for 250-350 which is a great deal. You will like them.

• 2 years later...

I had a question about quartets and heresy's together I was wondering wether or not I could make a shelf tower and stak them up on top of each other?

If anyone has any comments please post

Yes, but its recommended to have the top speaker inverted. So, the top speaker would sit upside down on top of the bottom speaker that's sitting normally. It has something to do with the speakers blending better together. I've seen people do that with LaScalas and Chorus' for sure. I'm not sure if the fact that they are two different speaker models will come into play as far as how they sound together though...

I've got a pair of Quartets connected to a Pioneer SA 7800 integrated amp and Pioneer TX 7800 tuner. They sound terrific IMO. As another poster put it - a great value speaker in the Klipsch line. I think the statement of connecting them to the right amp is accurate for any speaker

Mine are black finish, not my first choice, but couldn't beat the price $325 in great shape on eBay. If you're not concerned with the finish, black typically go for $50 less than walnut or oak.

• Like 1