Inductor placement Questions to ALK & BEC

ajsons

I thought positions 4 and 5 of the attached picture are O.K. Al, didn't you use this coil placement (4 and/or 5) in one of the early ESNs?

The other question I have, and the answer is probably in this picture ....Let's say I needed a 2.4 mH inductor but have a 2 and a .4mHy (just an example), same wire gauge . I know that inductances are additive when series connected, but how do I mount them relative to one another?

post-14184-13819278377782_thumb.gif

ajsons,

Actually 4,5,6 and 7 are very GOOD way to mount two coils to reduce coupling. I agree with your other conclusions. If the winding of two clios are turned 90 degrees to each other and on-center there will be vertyally no coupling. Sitting one on top the other like your last diagram is the maximum coupling you can get between two coils.

Al K.

Of course based on some of the things in the other thread, one might want to give some careful consideration as to how close to the iron cores they place the air cores. I mean, if you don't want one placed up against an aluminum can you might want to make sure they're at least 200 or 300 feet from any iron cores.:)