University Classic, Pictures & Drawing Plans

ajsons

D-man asked me to start a new thread on my University Classic, so here it is, Dana.

My plan was to build a pair of University Deans, like Q-man's. Q-man generously sent me copies of the Dean plans and pictures during construction, of the one he built. Then I saw this empty Classic enclosure on ebay. I couldn't resist my curiosity as to what it sounds like, so to make a short story longer, I won (I was the only one who bid on it). Julie and I made a trip to Asheville, NC the day after Thanksgiving and picked it up (about 420 miles from Virginia Beach one way).

Here are some pictures, the first three were taken by the ebay seller, salvagethrift.

This is with the woofer access cover removed. Throat size is 6 x 13.

post-14184-13819278421814_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you definitely got my intertest as I have been thinking about building the University Classic.

How does it sound? Could you possibly post a picture looking "edge on" at the driver and into the throat area of the horn?

Cool speaker. I'll be interested to read about it as this thread unfolds.

Andy

Plenty of bass!! Comparing it to my SK, which has an EVM 15L and 6 x 13 throat, it is no contest . I t shakes the house! Unfortunately, the SK is the only one I can compare it to right now. Even recordings that originally have low bass levels shine on this one. Let me see if I can find a picture that suits what you're looking for.

At first, I tried it on recordings that have plenty of bass, mostly recordings that I have been listening to since the late 60's...It is the sure winner. Then I tried it on recordings that have low bass levels, like the Beatles first records (I play the CD's). Studio rules limited their bass levels on recording during those days. I think McCartney would love to hear his bass lines on this one, the notes are very distinct and you can follow his playing style. My SK never played like this. It is a whole new experience.

D-man asked me to start a new thread on my University Classic, so here it is, Dana.

My plan was to build a pair of University Deans, like Q-man's. Q-man generously sent me copies of the Dean plans and pictures during construction, of the one he built. Then I saw this empty Classic enclosure on ebay. I couldn't resist my curiosity as to what it sounds like, so to make a short story longer, I won and picked it up in Asheville.

Here are some pictures, before (pickup) and after (pickup).

I took a look at some plans of that design and I couldn't get it down.

If you ever get the time, would you be willing to post dimensions. Such as the entire "outer" box then the inner chamber for the driver. I know this would take some effort on your part. Or just so ever often, post a particular dimension of say one panel..

Or maybe Dman can post it

jc

JC,

I saw the other thread where you found the plans. What I have are the factory drawings sent to me by University in the 80's . It shows more details than what you saw on the other thread, screw locations, glue blocks, braces etc, etc. the problem is it is 13 x 24. I can scan sections of it tonight or tomorrow, and I can copy the whole thing, actually two sheets on Tuesday at work and mail them to you (and anybody interested).