Any experience with the Eminence line of tweeters: APT-200, APT-150, APT-80

jwc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I assumed they were a similar driver. Though maybe Eminence did some "special driver" for you like the new woofers you have.

AS far as the Horn goes on that line of tweeter, I guess the APT-200 would have a good dispersion although bet it would sound different than your K77 like horn.

I'm more interested in how they sound compared to other popular replacement units, particularly the Beyma which I find to be a substantial improvement over the K-77. With my highly compressed Rock recordings the improvement is marginal -- but with good recordings and DVD movies it's very impressive.

I believe Bob is using the APT-50. I think his project will make the K-77 obsolete. When the modified unit becomes available -- anyone who opts for diaphragm replacement over tweeter replacement should have their head examined. I would also like to see Klipsch take a hard look at the unit -- I think it's time to put the K-77 to rest.

As far as I know, the mold to build the new horn is being manufactured now. Hopefully, I can provide good numbers of the new tweeter with the new horn in January.

Price will be $150.00 per pair plus shipping.

Bob Crites

Yeh, that mold project is pricey indeed. I've thought if I was doing the project, I'd be sorely tempted to go the cheap Chinese route. But Bob's tweeters are made in the USA all the way. Note to TomB, he is a non-union shop, though. :-)

Dean, have you had a chance to compare these to the Beyma?

I thought they compared quite favorably and even did better on natural sounding cymbals and such.

I was also lucky enough to test a sample of these gems and they sound extremely musical. I was able to lower the upper crossover point on my Industrial La Scalas to 4500 hz. This helped reduce the rise in response in the 6000 hz range and eleminated any ring the squawker may have had. IMO:The combination of Bob tweeter and the lower crossover point sounds more natural.

I was also lucky enough to test a sample of these gems and they sound extremely musical. I was able to lower the upper crossover point on my Industrial La Scalas to 4500 hz. This helped reduce the rise in response in the 6000 hz range and eleminated any ring the squawker may have had. IMO:The combination of Bob tweeter and the lower crossover point sounds more natural.

I've been wondering about trying that out.

Would you be available to say more about that. What kind of crossover and what kind of mods did you do to accomplish that?

The crossover is basically a DHA2 with a few modifications. I like the approach of using a true bandpass section on the squawker. I padded down the squawker similar to the ALK design by connecting it to taps 2 and 5. I used Goertz coils from Madisound and GE Oil Caps from Bob Crites. My marked up schematic is attached and the second post has a picture of the finished crossover.

DHA2-004.pdf

Here is a pretty simple mod to a type A crossover that I think might work very good with the new tweeter. I haven't built one of these yet, but I think bringing in the new tweeter a bit earlier and rolling the squawker off gently might sound very good. The new tweeter can take the power at the lower frequency, so no need to try to protect it.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819278596692_thumb.jpg

Daddy Dee,

The DHA2 was designed by John Albrights brother. You can find John on the forum. The DHA2 is a constant impedance crossover similar to the ALK crossover, but with first order slopes. There are a few highly regarded designs on the forum, Klipsch original designs, ALK's and the DHA2. I've seen a few posts that compare these and the Klipsch Type A, AA and DHA2 are said to sound better at lower volumes, while the ALK's are said to sound better at higher volumes. I've only heard the Type A, AA and DHA2, but never the ALK's.