Any experience with the Eminence line of tweeters: APT-200, APT-150, APT-80

jwc

I was also lucky enough to test a sample of these gems and they sound extremely musical. I was able to lower the upper crossover point on my Industrial La Scalas to 4500 hz. This helped reduce the rise in response in the 6000 hz range and eleminated any ring the squawker may have had. IMO:The combination of Bob tweeter and the lower crossover point sounds more natural.

So how did it come about that you got to partake in a listening session? I die for such opportunities! [:)]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daddy Dee,

The DHA2 was designed by John Albrights brother. You can find John on the forum. The DHA2 is a constant impedance crossover similar to the ALK crossover, but with first order slopes. There are a few highly regarded designs on the forum, Klipsch original designs, ALK's and the DHA2. I've seen a few posts that compare these and the Klipsch Type A, AA and DHA2 are said to sound better at lower volumes, while the ALK's are said to sound better at higher volumes. I've only heard the Type A, AA and DHA2, but never the ALK's.

Actually designed BY John FOR his brother.:)

Again, simply best to think of the DHA as a constant impedance Type A with a bandpass. Yes, sounds best up to about 90dB, and starts to pinch up around 95dB. The ALKS really shine at 90dB and above.

John designed the DHA using fixed tap settings. If you mod the filter for adjustable squawker levels make sure squawker neg isn't connected to common (float the squawker like the ALK).

Bob's simple bandpass works good. I incorporated it into my modified Type AA's with good results. I have no complaints about the sound. Smart and simple -- works good. I still prefer the sound of my Super AA's, but by a small margin (Super AA = DHA2xover but with a 3rd order tweeter filter).

Guys,

I doubt that any mods to the network at all are required to use Bob's upgraded tweeter. HOWEVER: The original K77 is questionable when used below 6000 Hz. I suspect the driver Bob is using on the upgrade will be more consistant below 6000 allowing a lower crossover. This will take some of the load off the K400 midrange horn. I suspect that is why Klipsch lowered the crossover down to 4500 Hz on the heritage series.

Bob..
How about sending me one of your upgraded tweeters for me to run curves on? I promise to be honest! [A]

Al K.

Al,

You are correct that no modification at all will need to be done to use the new tweeter with any network that now uses the K-77. It is a drop in replacement in every way just with the added benefit that it sails right on up past 20 khz with no fuss at all. Also it does not need any tweeter protection circuitry since it is rated at many times the power of the K-77.

Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I will have the new horns and can turn out a bunch of these tweeters. Right now, all I can do is build the prototypes that require me to destroy one K-77 horn to build each one. I have built about twenty of those and really don't want to build any more that way. Lots of work in each one of them.

Bob Crites

Dee,

Yes. The crossover has moved from 6000 down to 4500. They are doing it with a filter rather then by depending on the squawker driver to poop out above 6000 hz.

AL K.

Al,

20 questions, please.

Are you running K55's with Beyma tweeters in your Belles? Where are you crossing now with your ES crossovers? Also, does your Type A replacement cross at 6000hz? What would it take to filter the K55 to work only up to 4500hz? Oh, now I see that the Beyma is recommended to cross at 5000hz.

What would it take to filter the K55 at 3500hz... 4500hz 5000hz?

Thanks in advance for your help. any others also appreciated.

Dee,

Not exactly. I am running JBL 2426h squawker drivers, but the K55 would do nearly as well. I have ES500T and ES5800 networks. I could offer an ES4500 for use with the Beyma tweeter. I just wouldn't want to see people try crossing that low with the K77 tweeter, expecially the old round-magnet K77s. Many of them won't go that low! Like I have said before, taking the 4500-6000 Hz spectrum away from the K400 or K500 horn is a good move.

AL K.

Dee -- The AK-4, AL-4, and AB-3 cross to the K-77-F at 4500, but they get away with it because it's a 6th order filter -- it's relatively steep -- so there is quite a bit less energy being sent to the K-77 compared to the other filters (ESNs excepted).

The Beyma's MINIMUM crossover point is 5kHz. Crossing it over at 6kHz is a good place to do it. The ALK pretty much has the tweeter all the way in at 5.8kHz.

Bob wants to kill the squawker earlier because he really likes the performance and sound of his tweeter. However, you'd be surprised at how little the distribution of energy changes between the squawker and tweeter going from 6000 to 4500. In fact, the slopes chosen will have substantially more impact on the sound than that 1500 cycle shift in crossover point.

I would get Bob's tweeters, load them up -- and use the ALK 'as is' without a second thought.

Well, I have to say that I think Klipsch is really on to something crossing to the K77 at 4500 hz. Tony Reed and I went on a road trip yesterday and met Bob and Michael in the Crites shop. Thanks for the WattaBurger for lunch, too, Bob.

We visited, listened to quite a few tunes.

I took home the parts to mod my Crites type A crossovers so that the tweeter crosses at 4500hz and the K55 quits by then.

The result is quite pleasing. This is what I mean about Klipsch being on to something. They apparently have discovered that the K55 is past what it can do really nicely past 4500hz. With a competent tweeter to pick up there the result is very nice.

This is the best I've heard my Khorns. Now, I want to do the same thing with a pair of Heresy's. I think that the improvement in Heresy sound would be very good.