Brokeback Mountain

nicholtl

Has anyone else seen this film yet? I absolutely loved it, and would love to discuss this film with anyone else who has viewed it. However, I realize due to the subject matter, it has enjoyed only severely limited release nation-wide.

For those not "in the know," it's a gay romance-drama starring Heath Ledger (whom I feel deserves a Best Actor nod at the Acadamy Awards for his role), and Jake Gyllenhaal. The film is helmed by Ang Lee, director of such films as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hulk, and Sense and Sensibility.

The film powerfully and heart-breakingly captures the forbidden romance between 2 Texas ranch hands during the 1940's. After their initial summer together on Brokeback Mountain, the 2 boys go off on their own ways, eventually marrying, having children, and continuing on with their lives. However, they soon begin setting up what their wives think are "fishing trips," which are really just chances for them to run off and meet again at their favorite spot - the spot where they first met - and, as Gyllenhaal's character so crassly puts it, enjoy a few "high-altitude f__ks."

What I feel is so particularly poignant about this film, and why its theme is so universal, is that a love that is forbidden or taboo, does not only extend to encompass that of the homosexual community. It wasn't so long ago that inter-racial marriages or romances were frowned upon (to put it lightly). Or if we're going to get really romantic about it, rival families or gangs (ala Romeo and Juliet, or West Side Story), or even blossoming love between young teenagers. The kind where parents think it's just a case of "young love" and that they'll grow out of it, whereas the love-struck couple are thinking of running off and eloping.

Being that the cowboys are in their 20's when they first meet on Brokeback Mountain, it would mean they'd be in their 60's today. On this note, I think we all have a lot to learn from gay men of the Baby Boomer generation these days. They came from a time and place where who they were was absolutely, unequivocally unaccepted. For what they had to struggle through then, all the way until now, it must truly be a story we could all learn a thing or two from.

They say the purpose of history is to educate ourselves so as not to be doomed to repeat it again. Yes, our society is making progress, but for the most part, homosexuality is still a mostly taboo subject. Why there is prejudice against people who have no control over their sexual orientation anymore than you or I choose how tall we end up being in life is anyone's guess. But in essence, this film is a love story. Get over your insecurities or squeamishness (if any) regarding the fact that it's 2 guys, and you'll be ready for one of the smartest, most touching, most beautiful romance films this year.

Take your kids to see it too. Educate them.

Thanks for the recommendation but I would not like to see this. I didn't know what this movie was about before your review. I do not have any intrest in watching a movie with a gay theme. That is perverse and I do not find it apealing in any way. Some people are into beastiality but it doesn't make it right or beautiful. Love between and man and a woman is the way it was intended to be and that's where I draw the line.

Thanks for your views, bigroi. I appreciate your opinion and feedback. However, I'm sorry to see that you relate homosexuaity to bestiality.

I only hope that someday, perhaps after meeting someone who is gay, or some experience close to you (family or friend) that you go through, that you would put aside such bias and allow your mind to open a bit. To learn a bit. We only grow when we let ourselves be rid of the confines bound only by preconceived notions and prejudice.

I have had friends that are gay or turned to it. I respect gay people and I do not hold hostility toward them. I know my example may have come out a little harsh. I apologize if I was offensive. I appreciate your thoughts as well. I don't agree with same sex relationships just as much as I don't agree with sex outside of marriage. Both defile a beautiful plan that the Lord made for us all. It's my faith and belief in the bible that I get my values. I support gays in my work place and I have love and admiration for all types of people. I just would not be entertained by the content of the movie.

Nicholtl, thank you very much for reviewing this. I will see it for sure. Unfortunately there is still a lot of negativity towards homosexuals in the US as you have already seen in this thread.

Personally, I am amazed at how much energy people in Massachusetts have put into opposing gay marriage. If, as a society, we could channel that much energy into raising the funds for cancer research, or AIDS, we would be free of those diseases by now.

My experience with newsgroups has led me to believe that this subject matter is best left alone when in the presense of such a diverse virtual group.

PS, if I ever get out to LA I would love to come listen to that system of yours! I hope you live in a place where you get to crank it up sometimes.

• Moderators

Thanks for your review, Nick.

Although I respect varied opinions on controversial topics, let's try to keep religious beliefs and sexual orientation judgements off the board.

Stick to the movie itself--thank you!

Some interesting reponses, peeps. Sorry about that, Amy!

And Steve - absolutely. Come to LA and I'll be happy to show you my system. And don't worry, although I live in an apartment, the apartment to my right is the building's storage room, nobody lives below me, the sound doesn't travel through the ceiling, the man who lives to my left is deaf, and across the hall are a couple of college girls who I've become good friends with (read: they're cool).

Cool, sounds like you have a nice set-up for listening to your home theater!

If I get out there I'd love hearing all those RF-7s powered by all that cool electronics. It must sound really sweet.

Keep your great reviews coming, I've listened to a lot of great music I and watched some great flicks based your recommendations.

Happy New Year!!

I have had friends that are gay or turned to it. I respect gay people and I do not hold hostility toward them. I know my example may have come out a little harsh. I apologize if I was offensive. I appreciate your thoughts as well. I don't agree with same sex relationships just as much as I don't agree with sex outside of marriage. Both defile a beautiful plan that the Lord made for us all. It's my faith and belief in the bible that I get my values. I support gays in my work place and I have love and admiration for all types of people. I just would not be entertained by the content of the movie.

Agreed.

But what do you think all those Elves do when it's not Christmas season, there are no toys to make, and they're trapped in the North Pole, bored outta their minds...?

In all seriousness, I like your point, Todd.

I find it, interesting...shall I say, that some refuse to see things based on personal principle or moral. I think it can generally be agreed that Adolf Hitler was not a spring chicken, and yet, those who were courageous enough to watch the recent German release "Downfall" (a chronicle of Hitler's last few days) would find it an eye, and mind-opening, experience.

That age-old cliche... "Knowledge is power." It cannot hurt to expose yourself to different viewpoints, even if diametrically opposed to your own. Alienating one's self is in actuality, the more destructive behavior. Not the saving grace. And even Santa can confirm that.

(ps - would love to hear your reactions after you've seen the film!)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a great cartoon about Brokeback Mountain:

Two older men are walking out of the theater with shocked looks on their faces, and one says to the other, "Darn, next time I go to see a western movie I'm going to make sure that John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are in it!"

The other looks at him and says, " Together?"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally saw it, and I thought it was an excellent, excellent movie. I purposely avoided hearing/reading anything about it (other than it featured gay cowboys). I even made sure not to watch when they showed clips during the Golden Globes, and am glad I did. It would have been even better if I didn't even know as much as I did before seeing it.

I think the people who refuse to see this film because of the subject matter are Precisely the people who Should go see it.