Memoirs of a Geisha

nicholtl

A masterpiece, from start to finish. And quite surprisingly, from "Chicago" director Rob Marshall - talk about a departure from the norm!

The true skill of his directorial abilities can most chiefly be noted in the fact that with the extremely heavy-hitting cast of Asian talent (the film is loaded with the biggest stars and names of Japan and China), they all portrayed their roles so perfectly, deftly, full of nuance and subtext, that they allowed for Marshall's vision to come through, despite all the characters being equally unique and powerful on-screen. That the ensemble cast complimented each other, allowing the beautiful story to move with pace, drama, and timing, without each actor or actress clamoring for more screentime, or attempting to upstage the next.

The biggest comment critics and viewers alike have, is that the film, while visually gorgeous, is "too slow." I think they have their heads up their glory holes and are truly the babbling idiots we've grown to know and, sometimes, love (Ebert and Roeper, anyone?).

When I watched the film the 1st time, I was so taken and gripped by the story, I barely had a moment to stop and admire the cinematography. Only the 2nd and 3rd time around viewing this film did I allow myself the chance. Yes, I actually saw this film 3 times, each time taking with me a different friend or group of friends. And each time, I loved every second of the movie.

But when you do stop to soak in the cinematography, you will be blown away. Just wait until the final scene, in the tearoom garden. You will literally find yourself staring into a live watercolor canvas.

I understand that for many Western audiences, the unspoken silences, the subtelties, and the wisely underplayed nuances are what make the film feel slow. However, that is precisely the nature of Asian culture. It's not what is being said, but what isn't. To see the soul-wrenching pain lingering in her eyes, to feel the slaying of his heart, to taste the salty tears welling beneath her pupils... Such emotion and power cannot be accurately conveyed when you're rushing from cut to cut, scene to scene, simply for the sake of "moving the story along."

And for those in the industry, shaking their heads and thinking, "keep the MTV-style editing, cause the music will carry it...," well, it might wet your appetite to know that the score was composed by John Williams and cello solos played by the brilliant Yo-yo Ma.

The next step for Hollywood is to now produce Asian-themed movies that do not center around martial arts of the mysteries of the ancient Orient.

Memoirs of a Geisha has my highest, fondest recommendations. You owe it to yourself to see this film.

I read the book years ago and was impressed with the imagery and the glimpse into a culture that is little understood. I don't know if the story was an accurate portrayal of anything but I was intrigued. I just saw the movie this weekend and it was awesome. The cinematography was great, the costumes and scenery were beautiful, and although the story was not exactly something was "female empowering" by today's standards, it did show the strength of the female spirit.

I would have to say this gets extremely low scores in the action/adventure/fight scene categories and the comedeic scenes are rather sparse, so I could understand why some would find it rather slow.

Yeah, the fact that half the main cast is Chinese was cause for a big uproar within the Asian American community. I'm not sure why these decisions were made, either.

The performances were all stellar, although there are equally as many gifted Japanese actresses as well. Weird...

• Moderators

Yeah, the fact that half the main cast is Chinese was cause for a big uproar within the Asian American community. I'm not sure why these decisions were made, either. The performances were all stellar, although there are equally as many gifted Japanese actresses as well. Weird...

This may not be a popular viewpoint, but I don't see what the fuss is about here. Movies are about acting, and actors pretending to be people they are not...

Jewish people play Christians, vice versa, Italians cast as Native Americans, South Americans cast as Middle Easterners....well, I don't have proof of all of that, but I'm sure it happens with no one really giving it much thought.

Heck, they even cast Anthony Hopkins as an African American in a movie. And I even recall Tara Reid playing a scientist once. And sometimes women play men! and so on....

Just a thought. [:)]

Amazing Movie. I actually didn't realize how good it was until the day after I saw it. That is the impact it had on me. It certainly opened my eyes to a bit of Culture that I never knew about. Before I saw this movie I thought that "any streetwalker who painted her face and wore a silk kimono could call herself a geisha." I thought they were simply high class prostitutes.

It was interesting and sad to see that War, and possibly western influences destroyed what was once a proud tradition. On the other hand, the fact that this "proud" tradition involved what sometimes boiled down slavery and abuse was something the film did not shy away from showing. Truly excellent. This is a movie I would like to see again and again.

I did not think this movie was too slow paced, I think that it is great that it didn't follow the cookie cutter formula for a Hollywood blockbuster. I think that movie critics don't feel they are doing their jobs if they don't criticize a movie, which is a shame. My only complaint is that the story was a bit hard to follow for someone who knows nothing about the culture. It wasn't until half way through the movie that I began to understand the hierarchy of the geisha, and I'm still not sure what the role/importance of the Danna is, for example.

---------------------------

Ok, In which movie did Anthony Hopkins play an African American? Maybe a South-African, but...

It's all a conspiracy!!

No, I agree. Though the actors and actresses chosen do a superb job, imo, they were hardly Japanese.

Do we cast Antonio Banderas as an Irishman? I think not.

But I liked the movie anyway. Of course I am biased because I found the movie more than slightly erotic.

This is a work that we shouldn't discount simply for its obvious faults - namely the ethnic background of the actors. It is still a fine film with amazing cinematography. I'd see it again.

• 5 weeks later...

I watched the movie but some time frames are very slow and some time frames seem to be a day (WWII breezed by)

One thing though that did in fact bother me was watching all the Chinese

characters playing Japanese rolls. I know my roommate had no clue (he

is israeli) but I couldn't get over that a Chinese woman was playing a

Geisha. BTW Chinese hatred runs deep against the Japanese, hence why

there was an uproar. During WWII, the Japanese committed genocide, but

unlike the Nazi which documented how many they killed, the Japanese

kept no records or were destroyed. The Japanese claim to have killed

100,000 Chinese, Korean, Philippines, etc. The Chinese estimate 1

million Chinese alone. And it runs deep because there are still people

that lived and remembers those atrocities

Yeah, the fact that half the main cast is Chinese was cause for a big uproar within the Asian American community. I'm not sure why these decisions were made, either. The performances were all stellar, although there are equally as many gifted Japanese actresses as well. Weird...

I remember myself commenting on a similar casting situation with "Batman Begins" where a decidedly American genre piece is acted out by a largely UK cast. In the end, I don't think it made much difference to the audience.

I pray that this isn't a case where all orientals are generic to the movie makers. Perhaps we can count on someone like Ang Lee to take us to China and look at how the economic revolution is affecting the culture? I've never quite gotten over Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Eat Drink, Man Woman and would like to see him tell some contemporary stories that are closer to his roots than gay cowboys. (Do they have gay cowboys in Taiwan?)

• 1 month later...

Bump!

This movie will be out on DVD next Tuesday. It is worth a rental or in my case, it will be a keeper.

Nick's review was all wet. [6] This movie rivals Sir David Lean's masterpieces. The script, cinematography and score are amongst the best that I have enjoyed in the past five years.

Bill