Way OT: How long can a cat stay in heat?

Daddy Dee

OK, apologies in advance for this really off topic request for help.

A few weeks ago I had a friend moving out of an apartment who could not take their cat with them to their new location. In a moment of weakness, I said, OK, I'll take the cat.

She is an indoor cat, a year old, obviously never spayed.

It is my intention to have her spayed, real soon now, but it is my understanding that it is more difficult for the vet to do the procedure if the animal is in heat.

She has been in heat now for the better part of a week and is completely miserable, meowing terribly loudly and annoyingly and walking around with her bottom up in the air.

This is my question, how long will this go on before she goes out of season?

Any help appreciated.

In the world of breeding cats, the female cat is usually referred to as a "queen".

Her heat cycle is often called the "estrus cycle" or simply "estrus".

The length of time of the estrus, and the frequency of the estrus

cycles depends upon many factors, such as geographic and environmental

factors, (temperature and the number of daylight hours), her age and

overall health, and her genetic background. Once a queen goes into heat

or estrus, she may stay in heat for several days, to 2-3 weeks. Some

queens, once they are sexually mature and enter estrus, do not come out

of heat unless and until they are either bred to a full male cat, or

spayed. The majority of queens will cycle in and out of estrus during

the prime breeding season (roughly December through August), returning

back into heat approximately every other week.

thanks guys, I know this was a little humor at my expense.

Of course, there is no way I'm letting the new cat outside, so I don't have to get a litter of kitten adopted out this spring.

What is funny, sort of, is my neutered male "Oliver" who seems to have no clue why this cat is in his space.

He will stand at the door when I open it, deciding if he for sure wants to go out and the new cat is caterwalling in her misery... I tell him, well I'd go outside if I could. I'm tired of listening to this, too.

A friend of mine referred to his mother-in-law going through menopause... as a bucket of hormones with a mouth. That has come to mind with the new cat's troubles.

Oh well. You folks already know I am a fool for Klipsch. Now you know, I talk to cats.

Two to three weeks (or maybe never) until she goes out of heat. I'll give her a couple of more weeks... then make an appointment with the vet.

Thanks y'all for all the support.

I don't know if this is legit or not, but I was once told that you really want to fix a cat BEFORE she goes into heat because it will help minimize (or perhaps eliminate?) her wanting to spray & mark everything with her scent.

Again, I don't know if that's for real but it IS what I was once told.

(coming from someone who also talks to his cats and dogs and if need be...wife)

[;)]

• Moderators

I have been told that it is primarily a problem with male cats spraying if neutered too late. We had our female spayed prior to her going into heat. Since that time Mommy Cat has not used a litter box, she sits at the front door and meows to go outside. Get her fixed asap, the incessant "whining" is very annoying.

• Moderators

I would hope for you and the cat both, that the vet returns 1/2/06. I am sure the cat is making you as miserable as she is.

As a rule cats are one of the best pets you can own, unless you find yourself in your current situation. Mommy Cat was shot by one of our "neighbors" and never even cried. The bullet went straight through her shoulder area. She healed completely within two days and did not require the attention of a vet. Extremely clean animals.