klipsch kg4 circa 1986 good or not

johndish

Hi,

I have a pair of 1986 kg4 these have the passive sub, horn tweeter and two midrange that i have a dilemma with.. I know they are great but, my wife hates them and my 1986 denon pma 500 pre amp and wants something smaller like the bose 321...

how good are the kg4 are they worth fighting with the marriage or do i give in??

i am half joking but, want to be told they are old and worn out or they are great please help

They are great! I still have mine (the first Klipsch I ever

bought, new in '86) in our living room. My wife, in fact,

insisted we put them there. They are a bit "old school" compared

to today's cubes, but that is the charm of them. And, they will

blow the doors off the 321 or ANY Bose, for that matter.

Just as a matter of clarification, the passive radiator on the back

doesn't perform as a passive subwoofer - it's an alternative to porting

the enclosure, and it lets the lower frequencies from the main drivers

out. While it does play low, it doesn't come close to the

frequencies that a subwoofer could troll.

KG4s are great, especially considering their "small' size. My first Klipsch were KG4s that I purchased in 1985. I now have Cornwalls and K-horns, but I still have the KG4s in my bedroom. No cubes for me, the KG4s are much better than any Bo$e IMO.

Have 2 pair of Kg-4's (stacked/inverted) which I had been running off of my Nakamichi AV10 (120 wpc, putting out +/-20 A). They sounded good, but similar to the Dennon's and Onkyo's, the Naks' (non-Stasis) tend to have a colored sound (that distinctive Japaneese "brightness") when pushed.

Recently, I upgraded the crossovers and now drive them with a Harman Kardon HK870 and a PM650, w/ Nak as a preamp only. What a difference! Bass tight & punchier; not as colored, and the mids/highs are ssoooo much smoother! The HK870 is clearly overkill for the Kg-4's, however, I would hightly recommend going with something like the HK730/930.

That being said, I just bought a Scott LK-72B integrated tube amp which is on its way to Craig for overhaul and upgrades. I understand that the 4's sound magical with 30 to 40 clean tube watts, but I'll have to defer to one of these guys since I have not first hand knowledge. What I can tell you is that I just hooked up a pair of old Kg-2's to a 160 watt Sonic Frontiers tube power amp which came today for my a/d/s L1590's, and my jaw just hit the floor!

So you may want to skip the HK's and go straight for the tubes! But, I can say that because I'm not married.....