Why do we like music loud?

pHEnomIC69

I was just wondering, can anyone explain why in human nature we like music loud? I like to listen to music at the highest level that doesnt cause me discomfort the most. I use some sense though and don't listen to music all the time very loud, but why are we like this?

What do you mean "we," white man?

(apologies to Oscar Brown, Jr.)

It may be primordial instinct where the animal with the louder roar usually intimidates the lesser animal.

Also the rythm can be heard better, louder usually means more bass

where you start to feel the music. Maybe we try to blur hearing and

feeling to get a better sensory perception. Sort of like smelling the

food before tasting it increases flavor (i.e. smelling wine then

drinking it) Also to get bass you usally have to have in the pre

speaker age something to beat on something. A Big drum, a gong, a big

bell, a large hallow log to get bass.

I was just wondering, can anyone explain why in human nature we like music loud? I like to listen to music at the highest level that doesnt cause me discomfort the most. I use some sense though and don't listen to music all the time very loud, but why are we like this?

Allan, you are a funny man.

On the question, it's an important one, IMO.

Don't yet know what I think about the answer, but the question is genuinely important.

We like it loud because it starts out loud where it is played (live) by a band or recorded. Every process after the band has played the music makes it less loud than the original live playing of the music. You cannot reproduce sound levels created by a 3 foot diameter drum, or a 15 ft piano with 15" cones or 1" diaphrams. A 20" diameter cymbol raidiates 20" -+ throughout a room whereas you would need 40-- 1" tweeters spaced in a circle of 20" back to back to recreate the radiated sound area of the cymbol. Not a matter of power output but radiated area to fill the room. This is my idea of where the next breakthroughs will be in sound reproduction.

JJK

I was just

wondering, can anyone explain why in human nature we like music

loud? I like to listen to music at the highest level that doesnt

cause me discomfort the most. I use some sense though and don't

listen to music all the time very loud, but why are we like this?

I been lookin' for the member "white man",could'nt find em'.I even looked under honky(did I spell that right) and cracker?

I been lookin' for the member "white man",could'nt find em'.I even looked under honky(did I spell that right) and cracker?

Try......."Pecker-Wood".....[:D][:D]

Terry

What JJ said.

Also, what I just posted in another thread:

"When a system excels at low level and ambient retrieval (microdynamics and 'air'), is able to push the soundstage well out into the room (bloom), and can layer and separate the information in the recording -- the volume control goes down. IOW's, the more realistic the music sounds, the less the need to use high SPL's as a way to compensate for what's missing. Since there is so much there, the room loads up faster and the soundfield is immersive in nature instead of coming at you like a wave."

good question - I've often wondered about this, so here goes with my opinion - it's all about control.

In our lives, we have so little control over the

influences in our lives. By stocking our homes with quality audio gear

and cranking it up, we can control our environment. In addition,

as nicely mentioned in the other posts, it drowns out extraneous noises

and influences allowing us to focus on what is at hand (cocooning?).

Now here's my opinion about the upgrading bug and fatigue factor while we're in the same court.

It's common to hear that one gets tired of a certain

audio system or setup and seeks something better - sometimes at any

cost. In my opinion, this goes back to the primal need in

humankind to 'feather the nest' and strive to find something

better. When you stand back and look at it all, we're always

looking toward the uplift in our lives. So the fatigue factor,

whether

it's an artist, sound system, house or job is symptomatic of that built

in drive that pushes us from the cradle to the great beyond.

Happy New Year all! And don't forget the dark headed stranger

with the lump of coal running around the outside of your house in bare

feet. Slainte Mhath. Hamish

What JJ said.

"When a system excels at low level and ambient retrieval (microdynamics and 'air'), is able to push the soundstage well out into the room (bloom), and can layer and separate the information in the recording -- the volume control goes down. IOW's, the more realistic the music sounds, the less the need to use high SPL's as a way to compensate for what's missing. Since there is so much there, the room loads up faster and the soundfield is immersive in nature instead of coming at you like a wave."

I seemed to notice what Dean describes when going from Corns to KHorns. It did seem like the sound stage moved out away from the speakers.

What JJ said.

In addition to what DeanG said - one word - EMOTION - it moves us. But too loud is just NOT fun. I find very little LIVE music these days actually sounding good - poor room acoustice - PA too loud in an effort to load the room, etc. Fortunatley some small clubs and most Jazz clubs still hav e a sane approach to sound