Movies to Show off your Killer System

Wild Blue

I don't think this one has been mentioned. I just got it today. Dragonheart w/ Sean Conery doing the voice over for the dragon. WOW! This movie will really let you know just how dynamic your system really is. The dragons voice is deep and bassy, the "ole code" scene has the dragon flying around Dennis Quaid and I swear to you it sounds like this dragon is in the room with you. I watched the movie in DD 5.1 using rear side mounted speakers and I could have sworn I had the rear centers dialed in. Excellent imaging. Its one to own for sure. Its kinda hard to find locally tho. You might check out mediaplay.com, or amazon.com and order it. MUST HAVE!

------------------

MM

• 2 months later...

Well, I thought I'd revive an old post of mine. In my mind, this is the best topic we could talk about in this section. I've already got some great ideas from posts people have put in here.

What else? What do others of you listen to when you've got that friend over that you want to impress?

Have to agree with the Dragonheart observations. I too just picked it up and it impressed me very much. Also, listen to the beach storming scene in Saving Private Ryan in DTS at near reference levels and you will not hear finer explosions, bullets or sound of the waves ever. I just about wet myself when I watched this scene after hooking up my new SVS - Ultra 2's. The DTS version of SPR is a definate improvement over the DD version. I own both because I bought the DD version when it first came out only the find the DTS version some two months later. By the way, they are about to do something simaler to Lord of the Rings. It is being released the first week of August in a two disk version then again in November with a 4 disk version. I will be waiting for the 4 disk version as I'm sure many who are aware of this release info will also be doing. Not sure what sound versions will be on the disks thought. Hopefully they do DTS ES or THX EX. Sure makes sense to do it with a movie like this.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

for those like me who are getting lord of the rings on dvd, for 6.1 surround (BOTH dd-ex and DTS-ES)get the platinum series extended edition.

missed it one night at the cinema, decided it would sound better at my house anyway, can't wait to crank it up in the ht room. avman(son of aragon)a.k.a.strider

Wink.gif

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 07-16-2002 at 04:47 PM

Well, I just got the Superbit version of The Fifth Element, and I must say I'm slightly disappointed. Parts are awesome, and yes, the aria scene is very good. But I cranked up my system for the aria scene and in both DTS and Dolby Digital there's that background hiss. I think with my high-end Yamaha receiver and the KLF-30 based Klipsch system, it's just showing every flaw in the original recording. Such is life.

Still, very good recording.

Okay, i also just got the Highlander Immortal Edition. VERY good, leaps and bounds over the previous Highlander DVD releases, I hear. Great video transfer, and pretty good sound for being an older movie. I've got to say, in the DTS version, during the glass explosion scenes you get great sound PLUS glass shattering and tinkling on the ground all around you! (It's DTS ES) I recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Too many votes for the Matrix and not enough for Saving Private Ryan.

Matrix was good, but compared to some other movies mentioned here...PLEASE!

Saw a few for Final Fantasy--opening was pretty nice.

I always used T2 when showing off my Laser Disc player. Havn't really watched the DVD. I have it lying around here somewhere...

Dinosaur (first 10 minutes) and Fantasia 2000 (Firebird suite) from Disney are both pretty good to show off--picture might be better than the sound on both if you have a good digital TV

Opening to Private Ryan is the best though--sorry

I know many people did not like the content of the movie or japanese sports cars but I thought the DTS sound track on The Fast and the Furious was outstanding. It has to be one of the busiest mixes I've heard. It utilized all my speakers very well . The sound is jumping all over the place. The story is

hokey but it will show off your sound system.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

• 6 months later...

Band of Brothers DVD has an amazing DTS soundtrack.. the sounds of bullets whizzing by the soldiers heads and the sound of artillery barriages are not to be soon forgotten. Band of brothers must be the finest stuff I ever saw on TV!(And next to Saving Private Ryan.. the finest war flick I ever saw)

Any of the brutal battle scenes are a great way to show off your sound system, especially the artillery barriages in Ardennes forest. 5.gif

F & F does have some clean techno music that can be cranked very loud, but I still keep going back to U-571 and the depth charges for sheer hit you in the chest & make your pant legs move BASS!!!

If your sub will go REAL low The Haunting in DTS can't be beat. I actually don't use this one as the drywall next to the sub rattles like hell. Also the Ice Crystals scene from Titan AE will rattle the walls.

Of course my sub has a little to do with that I guess 9.gif

For all-around 6.1 I like JPIII when the dinos & people are running through the field.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 2/18/2003 7:39:48 AM dblue wrote:

BTW, deimos, AWESOME avatar brother!

----------------

Hehe thanks... it's hard to tell what it originally was because it's constrained to fit the allowed size. I just think Tool rocks, as they're my favorite band of all-time. I mean I like a crap-load of bands but Tool has the most unique and distinctive sound of any other band out there. 1.gif

• 1 month later...