Movies to Show off your Killer System

Wild Blue

GODS and GENERALS; A history of the Civil War in the early days leading up to Gettysburg. Done as part 1 of 3 parts, I don't know if the other 2 parts will get done but this is worth watching.Thundering cannons, musket balls hitting bodies, great action, great acting.The type of movie where you may learn something, and enjoy yourself at the same time. Better than most of the REMAKE junk they call movies today. Robert Duval, Jeff Daniels, Steve Lang, good cast, Real story, done was class, worth your time.

Wow, resurrecting a 2 year old thread...with a simple bump no less...what gives?

Well, I was actually looking for another thread and found this one buried way back yonder. I had used a number of the suggestions in this thread in my own system and thought it may help others as well.

I just thought it's a good thread deserving of another look...

David

MOVIES:

Black Hawk Down (SuperBit Disc, DTS) : The sound for this entire movie is excellent!

Bad Boys II (SuperBit Disc, DTS) : The gunfight/car chase over the bridge is awesome!

Master and Commander (DD) : Very detailed sound - you can hear every little creak of the ship.

Metallica - S & M : For Whom the Bell Tolls, great song and great sounding DVD

Dave Matthews Band - The Central Park Concert : Pretty much any song.

I know I am a little late on replying to this thread. I have an unusual choice I like to use to show off my speakers. It is Mannheim Steamrollers Autumn Song DVD-A with just the ambient sounds. Sounds like you are in the middle of a forest with nature all around you. The Summer Song and Bird Song DVD-As are good too. Well, at least my parrot enjoys them. :)

Enjoy life,

Steven

I've read through this thread, I dont believe or cannot believe nobody has mentioned the tiger scene in APOCOLYPSE NOW. I cant tell you how many people have about flipped out of the chair. Not to mention the choppers flying around the living room. (I love the smell of napom in the morning lol) Another was Dances with Wolves, there is some good rifle shots that make you check your own chest to see if you're bleeding. Dances With Wolves is also a good movie to show people the difference between letterbox and regular( people that dont get it, hate letterbox). There is a scene with regular (cropped for TV) when you see 3 guys from behind on horses, I then show the same scene in letterbox, guess what there is like 6 guys

Given a life-like and dynamic home music reproduction system, movies with great music are obvious choices to get audiences saying wow!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The list of movies to show off your system then, has to include those over-the-top epics that left their print on the celluloid industry. Not simply because they were visually inspiring, emotionally moving stories, but because they made their enduring legacy with the deft deployment of music. This needs no more evidence of this than to hum a few bars and the scene from the movie is instantly retrieved; images permanently etched in our sub-conscious forever:

Strauss waltzs in Stanley Kubricks 2001: A Space Odyssey

The Ride of the Valkyries in Francis Ford Coppolas Apocalypse Now

John Williams score for George Lucas Star Wars

The Sorcerors Apprentice in Disneys Fantasia

Gene Kellys Singing in the Rain

Judy Garlands <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />
Yellow Brick Road
in Wizard of Oz

Julie Andrews Sound of Music

Julie Andrews Spoon Full of Sugar in Mary Poppins

Dan Aykroyd & John Landis The Blues Brothers

Liza Minnellis Cabaret

Play those for music lovers and I am sure that you will have more of an positive impact than merely vibrating their butts with the macho classics:

· Jurassic Park

· Saving Private Ryan

· Titanic

· Aliens

· Terminator

· Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

· Master & Commander

· Phantom of the Opera

[H]

• 4 weeks later...

I won't list movies - there are so many and besides, I'm heavily into concert/music DVD's - I enjoy watching them many more times than any of the movies. Here are some I highly recommend:

* Standing in the Shadows of Motown - (The story of the Funk Brothers). This DVD has song after song of great Motown hits and the quality is wonderful. Joan Osborne's "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" has been praised as the "showstopping highlight" that "brings tears to ones eyes" in this "soaring" rendition.

* Return of the Champions - Queen + Paul Rodgers (Paul Rodgers does not try and "be Freddy Mercury" - he handles the material beautifully).

* Queen - Live at Wembley Stadium (yes, I really like Queen) - the sound and video are above average and the concert is outstanding - over 120,000 rabid Queen fans watching Freddy and Brian and the boys rock out.

* Supernatural - Santana

* The Strat Pack - Live in Concert (lots of great talents here)

* Live at the Beacon Theater - James Taylor

* Rattle and Hum - U2

* Live from Slane Castle - U2

* One More Car, One More Rider - Eric Clapton (outstanding video and DTS sound)

* Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles (DTS reference recording)

* Live at Donington - AC/DC

* Serious Hits...Live! - Phil Collins

Standing in the Shadows of Motown is phenomenal, especially since you can just toggle through the various tracks. I also agree with you about Joan OsBorne and "Brokenhearted." What can you say? Phenomenal.

There used to be a couple of concert DVD threads in here. If you go back a ways, you will probably come across at least one of them.

Another concert DVD that I highly recommend is Heart, "Alive in Seattle." Nice!

David

Colin has a great list. Phantom of the Opera is now available in HD DVD with Dolby Digital+ sound. Both the picture ans sound are taken to the next level IMO.

DD+ and HD DVD are new formats that push the envelope up another level. The Toshiba player is clunky; it is a typical first generation rush to market project. However, the machine's output when setup correctly is fabulous. The best Warner, Univeral and Paramount titles will eventaully be avialble in this new format.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Die another day, great 007 sound. Flight of the Phoenix, hold on, We're gonna Crash!

Don't forget those Eagles in Melbourne,DTS of course. Bar scene from

Frantic(shakes Your booty)Appollo 13 in IMAX. Either Bourne movies.