Members Weekly Music Recommendations- Jan 2

skonopa

I guess I'll start the new Music recommendation thread for the new year! Typical format - name of album, name of band/artist that put it out, and the genre type (i.e., Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, etc.), and preferably a brief description and why you like the album, and why you think the rest of us should go check it out (try not to just throw up a list of album names).

My first pick of the new year is the following:

Vanden Plas - The God Thing

B0001B7TV6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This incredible album is the third album from the German progressive metel group, Vanden Plas, originally released in 1997. The version that I have is the re-released "special edition", which includes two "bonus" tracks, in edition to the original 9 tracks that are on this album.

The music itself has just got to be heard to be believed. The album itself is very clean sounding, with an excellent recording quality. The opening instrumental track "Fire Blossom" sets the tone for the whole album nicely, leading directly into the second track "Rainmaker". The third track, "Garden of Stones", starts off acoustically with just vocals over piano, but about 2 minutes or so into the track, it really starts to build. Some of my other favorite tracks on this album, "Day I Die", and "Crown of Thorns" (another one of those tracks that starts out slow, but builds). The vocals are delivered beautifully on this album, with some thought provocing lyrics, although some folks seem to complain about the accent, but I think it is kinda cool. The lead guitarist is just unreal on here as well, delivering the riffs with awesome technical ability, and even seems to be putting his heart and soul into it. The keyboards add very nicely to the tracks, but don't dominate them, which is what I like. There is no doubt about the talent of the musicians exhibited on this album, at the risk of sounding pompous, I'd be willing to bet there is more talent on this one album than what I heard in the entire of Dick Clark's "Rockin' New Years" show.

If you are a fan of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Angra, or other similiar type bands, do yourself a favor and go check this one out!

Great review, Steve. I'll be checking this one out based on your glowing words, for sure.

My recommendation this week is for the new release:

The Darkness "One Way Ticket To Hell ... And Back" - Soaring, epic, operatic rock (likened to Queen) CD. It's simply a joy to listen to. And to crank beyond eardrum capacity.

Thanks for launching the thread Steve and a Happy New Year to all my fellow music junkies.

Ivy Malarky "Worlds Not Big Enough, alt rock, cd

I can't quite figure out why but I like her singing and lyrics.

She's almost an Alanis Morrison clone but not as uptempo and her band's

licks are mostly derivative. Does some nice slow almost bluesy stuff

too. In spite of some negatives I probably have her on the changer at

least once a month and Alanis almost never hits my player.

It's a qualified endorsement, but worth checking out.

Sade - Lovers Live

# Format: Color, Ntsc, Widescreen Anamorphic
# Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only.)
# Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
# Studio: Sony
# DVD Release Date: March 5, 2002
# Run Time: 116 minutes
# DVD Features:
* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
* Backstage footage: The band walking, Sade walking
* Message to Sade directed by the Polish Brothers
* "King of Sorrow" video
* Black-and-white stills from the tour

01. Cherish The Day
02. Your Love Is King
03. Somebody Already Broke My Heart
04. Cherry Pie
05. Pearls
06. Every Word
07. Smooth Operator
08. Red Eye
09. Jezebel
10. Kiss Of Life
11. Slave Song
12. The Sweetest Gift
13. The Sweetest Taboo
14. Lovers Rock
15. Immigrant
16. Paradise
17. King Of Sorrow
18. No Ordinary Love
19. By Your Side
20. Flow
21. Is It A Crime
22. It's Only Love That Gets You Through

Greg's pick: Track #7 Smooth Operator.

Smooth jazz with great vocals and sax... This DVD sounds fantastic.
This one is a must have DVD!

Vibe, January 2002
Named Sade's Lovers Rock Tour the "Best Concert Tour" of the Year. She mesmerizes the crowd, dancing subtly yet sensuously as her aphrodisiac voice soars into our ears, our hearts, and our hips, driving us to lunar madness.

· USA Today, July 24, 2001
Sade's tour heralds rebirth of the cool. Today's dime-a-dozen divas would be wise to take a lesson from Sade, an enduring pop-soul icon who beguiles and bewitches without resorting to vocal gymnastics, strip-club choreography or sequined lingerie.

· Philadelphia Tribune, August 17, 2001
But Sade in concert is nothing less than tranquility in its purest form.

That magic is now captured on LOVERS LIVE a live DVD which features highlights from the Lovers Rock Tour and includes new songs as well as classic hits such as "Is It A Crime", "Sweetest Taboo" and "Smooth Operator".

The official Sada website includes clips from this "Lover Live" DVD which may be viewed online.

http://www.sade.com/sade/

Sade - (pronounced shar-day)

post-17133-13819278776402_thumb.jpg