"New" THX Ultra 2 KS-525's

bmilbrandt

On the latest (print) update for the new Reference line being announced at CES, it also talked about the current KS-525 THX Ultra 2 surrounds getting an update to add "more power handling and some sound enhancements" (or something like that).

Does anyone know when these will be available? Same price? Will they be designated (i.e. differently) in any way from the current model - i.e. KS-525 to KS-525 Mark II?

Thanks for any feedback.

The "update" you read was not published by Klipsch and not accurate. There is no change to the Ultra 2 series speakers.

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

BTW, with the new Reference line coming out, will the Klipsch Ultra 2 system still be considered the "best" Klipsch has to offer for home theater?

The "update" you read was not published by Klipsch and not accurate. There is no change to the Ultra 2 series speakers.

Well that too bad they need to be. Has any one at Klipsch tried to install these on a wall without cutting a relief in the wall for the binding posts? They wont hang flush because the binding posts stick out 1/4" past the back of the enclosure. That is an engineering oversight IMOHO.

As a installed system, Yes.

If you want a speaker to be a center peice for your system then the Reference product may be in order.

I understand that you may see pictures as early as today!

Please clarify on what you mean by "if you want a speaker to be a center piece for your system"? Do you mean asthetically, sonically, or both?

When - and where - will we see the photos?!?!?!

• Klipsch Employees

Well that too bad they need to be. Has any one at Klipsch tried to install these on a wall without cutting a relief in the wall for the binding posts? They wont hang flush because the binding posts stick out 1/4" past the back of the enclosure. That is an engineering oversight IMOHO.

That is what the 1/4 inch rubber "bump on's" are for...to keep the speaker off the wall for the BP and to keep the speaker from hitting the wall and making noise.

I think the owners manual tells about this...

There are also mounting holes on the back for a wall mount if you were to want to use one. (1/4 X 20 is the size)

And yes that was looked at.

Asthetically for the most part...the THX Ultra 2 products are not a "pretty" as the reference.

I think the THX's look hot, all by themselves, in a open room [:D] -

he11, give me some LaScala's in a textured black epoxy coat with round

corners (pro speaker style) - I'll show them babies off all day long!

Ohhh, pics, I would like to see.

BTW, I speak for a lot of us in as much as we want pics and specs, we

realize Klipsch is a big company with specific marketing plans, and

that if you cannot show pics, that is fine with me - as it is not your

choice (or it is not in Klipsch's best interest, which is a lot of our

interests).

That is what the 1/4 inch rubber "bump on's" are for...to keep the speaker off the wall for the BP and to keep the speaker from hitting the wall and making noise.

I think the owners manual tells about this...

I am well aware of the owners manual sticking rubber bumpers on the back of the enclosure so they stick out 1/4" from the wall suface is tacky at best.

Flush mounting them on the wall is the best appraoch and for resonance control that is what rope calk or blue tack is for.Funny the RS-7 RS-3 or any of the previous surrounds had no such trouble

• Klipsch Employees

I will have to check, but I think the RS-3 ,3II, (edit: the RS-35 does not use that round cup.) and 35 use the same input cup as the THX KS unit. We have used the bumpers with all our surrounds.

The RC-7 may use a larger input cup.

Just so you know, I am not a fan of the depth of the input cup. I think the BP are to close to gether and (as you say, it needs to sit a bit deeper)

When we do up date that system I am sure that we will look at that.

Hello Trey

Having installed many of the Klipsch surrounds from KSP-S6 through the Reference series and many of the Pro THX systems I can tell you that all of them will sit flush and the input cup and binding post head doesnt stick out past the back of the enclosure.

I brought this to Klipsch attention as soon as the KS525 shipped, as I was one of the first dealers to install the system. I have installed many more since then Awesome! HT speaker but the KS 525 does need several updates to keep up with the rest of the system. I will leave it at that and will comment further after CES I am looking forward to seeing the new THX inwall to use as the EX speaker's in a 7.1 THX Ultra setup

Tray,

Great show,the new Reference lineup looks great! [:D] One thing is the top of the food chain towers,these do not look to be on par with the RF7's.I will have to hurry to buy a third pair of RF7's.I love the way RF7's soudn and the slam from dual 10" woofers.I doubt three 8" will equal dual 10".

The new upscale Reference RT-12d sub looks like a killer product. At5 least it is in the Reference line and I will be ordering thye 10 and the 12" units [:D]

Now for the secret question will there ever be a higher end lineup,like the main towers and sub(15" woofer/18" PR)showed in previous shows?

• Klipsch Employees

Not at this point. The RT-12 is the big guy.

It does not play as loud a the RSW-15 (only by a few db) but it does go down lower.

SO as long as you play it under 100db it will do as good or better than the RSW-15.

The RF-83 has so much low end you may not want a sub with it...It is voiced different than the RF-7.

It will take its place, but not the same speaker.

That sounds promising...does it have as much bass extension as the RF-7? I know the press release said something about improved bass response, but it wasn't clear if this was referring to the RF-83 in particular or the new Reference floorstanders in general.

If the RF-83 has a smoother midrange, better bass extension, and possibly more airy highs (since the horn doesn't have to cover as much range) that would be quite a coup, in my opinion. I can't wait to start seeing reviews and specs.

"...I am well aware of the owners manual  sticking rubber bumpers on the back of the enclosure so they stick out 1/4" from the wall suface is tacky at best. Flush mounting them on the wall is the best appraoch and for resonance control that is what rope calk or blue tack is for.Funny the RS-7 RS-3 or any of the previous surrounds had no such trouble"

the rubber bumbers work great for keeping the speaker from falling off center.

after a night of movies or loud music my rs-35's were always crooked. after putting the bumpers on they stay level.

i also use the bumpers on all the pictures in our great room(located above the ht room) and now they stay put also!!

as far as rope caulking the speakers to my walls?

i thought rope caulk was for squawker horns!!

jay

as far as rope caulking the speakers to my walls?

Place two small dabs of rope calk on back of enclosure. Mount speaker,

level speaker,push lightly on front of spaker toward the bottom. Ta-da speaker stays firmly in place flush against the wall and resonace is minimized. Sorry having the speaker stick out 1/4" at the bottom and flush at the top isn't getting it done in high end installation And if the wall is of light color it looks bad so a relief cut in the drywall must be done to accomadate the input cup and binding posts on the KS-525

• 8 months later...

Not at this point. The RT-12 is the big guy.

It does not play as loud a the RSW-15 (only by a few db) but it does go down lower.

SO as long as you play it under 100db it will do as good or better than the RSW-15.

The RF-83 has so much low end you may not want a sub with it...It is voiced different than the RF-7.

It will take its place, but not the same speaker.

Perhaps you can expand on this? 100dB is not loud for me, my little ultra 5.1computer sub can put out 110-115dbpeaks in a medium size room. Surely that was a type-o?

I recall the RSW-15 being near the top of the pack on nousain's subwoofer list for max spl. If the RT-12d is only a few dB shy... I dont follow.