What does it take to be a "man"?

sputnik

There is great wisdom in learning to listen and just keeping quiet.

Today was a long day, with visitation over four hours.

I emailed my best friend, whom I only connect with every couple of years, telling him of Barbara's passing. He told me that on Thanksgiving, one of his 'Nam buddies passed away. Then he heard that another friend in Savannah was murdered in the driveway of his new house, in front of his wife, as they were about to enter to spend their first night there. It was a car-jacking attempt.

When we think we have it rough, it's a good idea to see what else is going on around you.

Bruce

• Moderators

There is great wisdom in learning to listen and just keeping quiet.

When we think we have it rough, it's a good idea to see what else is going on around you.

Bruce

Marvel,

It is good to see your input on this post today and sounding so positive. You and Josh remain in our thoughts and prayers.

Elden and Christy

"As much as I may think myself a man, my youthfull braddigio of maleness has long since departed and I try as hard as I can to be considerd simply as a person. There is nothing in the aspect of a man that you will not find in a woman and sophomoric humor aside (my speciality) we stand tall in our own personal regard only in relationship to those around us. Human are a selfish lot, individually. If left only to ourselves we would be a lazy, shiftless immoral slugs indeed. We only shine in how we deal with and help each other, we only excel with help from others, we only learn because someone taught us to listen. We can gut it out because someone showed us the way, self-pity is drowned when we look outward and around us. I could go on but I think you can take the point."

Well put. A famous writer (can't remember whom) once said that you never truly grow up until your father dies. On the other hand, Peter Fonda recently stated that he wants to be an eight year old forever. The truly retarded are the ones who are "selfish...lazy, shiftless immoral slugs." Basically, just live up to the responsibilities you take on, and have the wisdom to know how much you can handle.

"but he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke, the same cigarettes as me..."

"A "man" should be able to ......

fix a car, weld, perform first aid, cook at least one gourmet dish, train a dog, teach a kid to throw a spiral and a curve ball, pick out a good wine, pleasure a woman, tell a bedtime story, care for the frail and elderly, catch a fish, handle a gun safely, repair leaky plumbing, build something, demolish something, change a diaper, protect a life, face death, etc."

I dont think I agree with any of the above. Even if the sentence started with a Human I would have problems with it.

Would I be less of a "man" were I paralysed from the neck down? If anything Christopher Reeve was more of a man after his accident than before - and he was Superman before.

I would not be confident to define what it means in reality - it would vary according to circumstance and need.

To cope and not bring harm to others perhaps?

To go out of one's way to help another might be better?

Not to prejudge or hold prejudice?

I dont know.