OT: Twelve of the thirteen miners are found alive, misinformation???

dtel's wife

• Moderators

This is extremely good news, considering some of the devastating events this year for our nation and some of our members. These guys are some of the hardest working people in our nation and deserve our heartfelt thanks for the job they do.

See post further down. Such sad news.

• Moderators

Over 50% of the power produced in this country comes from coal. Many of us are enjoying the amenities in life at the expense of these and others who have dedicated themselves to this industry. The average years "on the job experience" of this group was twenty three years. The amount of time they have spent on the job certainly contributed to their survival.

Bravo to the rescue crews, what a brave group they are.

And yes, it is bittersweet...one family mourning is one too many.

I woke up randomly at 2.30am and decided to switch on tv... was so glad to see CNN say 12miners survived. Wake up again at 6am and oh man. That is truly devastating. Especially to have raised all the family members and friends' hopes with the good news and then to say its "miscommunication"..wow

I just saw this on the net (CNN) and couldn't believe it. When I left the house this morning (I am in Greece so many hours ahead) it was all jubilation and celebration - now this!!

Somehow it is so much worse to have eroneous good news and then bad than to just get the bad news from the get go.

Just don't know what else to say.....too sad.

• Moderators

Early morning reports say a "mine superintendent" overheard the miscommunication between rescuers and Command Post, called family members in the church and the news spread from there.

I admire the company for taking the time to verify the deaths and not cause any further grief for the families. Of course, most of the news organizations are whining about the three hour delay for the company to correct the information.

Again, I commend the rescue workers. Mining is dangerous enough, but rescuing and/or recovering trapped miners, that's real heroes.

The devastating news is all the more cruel because hopes were lifted before they were dashed.

What the families are going through, is inexpressible.

I agree, the emotional roller coaster must be overwhelming to these family members.

This truly is very sad, I saw they found 12 alive and thanked God for watching over them and went to bed feeling OK chalk one up fro the good guys, great news.... Then this morning when I saw all but one had passed my heart sank. All I could think of was those poor families, and the emotional torture that must have been. God rest their souls and give strength and peace to their families.