Mitsubishi WD-52627 52" DLP Projection TV

D-Rex

Anyone know anything, good or bad, about the Mitsubishi WD-52627 52" DLP Projection TV? My wife and I went to Ultimate Electronics and she ultimately liked this one over even the 50" Plasma screens. Option #2, that was about $600 more, was a Samsung 50" Plasma.

The Mitsubishi does 1080p and was playing some specialized content for demonstration. Needless to say, it looked almost flawless.

Thanks,

D

Anyone know anything, good or bad, about the

Mitsubishi WD-52627 52" DLP Projection TV? My wife and I went to

Ultimate Electronics and she ultimately liked this one over even the

50" Plasma screens. Option #2, that was about $600 more, was a Samsung

50" Plasma.

The Mitsubishi does 1080p and was playing some

specialized content for demonstration. Needless to say, it looked

almost flawless.

Thanks,

D

The WD-52627 got some good reviews. but with the Mitsubishi DLP you'll be changing the bulb every 4,000 - 6,000 hours.

The Mitsubishi DLP seems to have a slight green tint still, which can

be offset by calibration. Most Mitsubishi DLP are also a bit bulkier

(heavier) then Samsung, Panasonic DLP's for example. You might be interested in this story about a WD-52627 with Ultimate Electronics

FYI

some of the 50" Plasma mfg's are boasting around 60,000 hours life now

(Panasonic for example), compared with the previous average life of

25,000 to 30,000 hours of earlier plasma's.

If you are thinking towards DLP then of particular interest is the new Samsung 1080 DLP model HL-S5679W

announced at CES 2006. This model gets rid of the color wheel/lamp

system and replaces that with a trio of replaceable LED lights assy

that lasts 20,000 hours! The LED lights supports a wider color gamut.

This 56" is shipping April-May 2006 for $4199 list.

I sell them and like them (for the TV itself...and other reasons [:)] )

WARNING: you are looking at the 52627, for a few hundred dollars, you

can get the 52628, which has some more goodies, and is all black.

I have the 52528 (720p LCD) and it is a nice piece of hardware. With a little calibration, it looks VERY impressive.

The green tint seems to be gone in the new ones, the ***25 series DID really have that issue.

To be honest, I think the Toshiba, Samsung, etc. plasma's looks, well,

not very good. I don't like them. I DO like Fujitsu,

Pioneer Elite, and for less money, Panasonic's. I am just not

impressed by the cheaper plasma's, even with calibration, the imagine

never looks quite as real as a good RPTV.

My Mits rep said the reason they are heavier is they use more metal,

and the tray the projection engine is on (botton of the TV) is a slab

of cast aluminum.

Don't know if it makes any difference, but if you rule out a TV because

of its weight (when we are talking 100 vs. 140 or something), you suck[:P]

I sell them and like them (for the TV itself...and other reasons [:)] )

WARNING: you are looking at the 52627, for a few hundred dollars, you

can get the 52628, which has some more goodies, and is all black.

I have the 52528 (720p LCD) and it is a nice piece of hardware. With a little calibration, it looks VERY impressive.

The green tint seems to be gone in the new ones, the ***25 series DID really have that issue.

To be honest, I think the Toshiba, Samsung, etc. plasma's looks, well,

not very good. I don't like them. I DO like Fujitsu,

Pioneer Elite, and for less money, Panasonic's. I am just not

impressed by the cheaper plasma's, even with calibration, the imagine

never looks quite as real as a good RPTV.

The 52627 (1080P) is a very nice looking set. It's fun to compare it to the Samsung HL-R5678W (1080P) which I think has better color accuracy then the Mitsubishi. [:)]

Never that impressed with Toshiba or Samsung plasma's either. I also favor Pioneer Elite if you got the money, and for ecomony Panasonic is clearly the winner. Put a Panasonic 46" Plasma next to a Samsung 46'" Plasma and you can clearly see the Panasonic is way better looking even though we are talking about 720P units.

of cast aluminum.

As far as I am concerned it all dependings on how portable you want your TV. [:P]

Weight sometimes can be a factor when you are thinking wall mounting in earthquake country!

Comparing the Samsung to Mits DLP's, I have reached a definitive conclusion...either one is awesome [:D]

However, I feel the picture is more 'emotional' on the Mits, it just

seems a bit more enjoyable to watch, it seems more fun. I have

stared at and calibrated both TV's many times, and they are both

good. I will concede that the Mits menu system sucks pretty bad -

but word is, that will all be changed soon. Reguardless, most

people don't spend much time in the menu.

of cast aluminum.

As far as I am concerned it all dependings on how portable you want your TV. [:P]

Weight sometimes can be a factor when you are thinking wall mounting in earthquake country!

Yeah, I don't wall mount too many DLP's [:P] Most plasma's are

about the same weight per a given size, not any huge difference.

If it is mounted well, it ain't going anywhere.

I have seen the 1080P Mitsubshi's and they are far better than the 720P's by a very wide margin. They have 2 million pixels and are twice as bright. Actually, the difference between the 720P and 1080P sets is stunning. They had a 65" (?) and several others cranked up with a local feed.

JJK

12/05 consumer reports rated these lcd projection tv's in this order

Not ta dis ya Bubman, but if I were in the market for a toaster over or washing machine, then I would consider Consumer Report as a valuble reference or source of information. But for things of this matter, well........let's just say it's not they're area of expertise.

12/05 consumer reports rated these lcd projection tv's in this order

Not

ta dis ya Bubman, but if I were in the market for a toaster over or

washing machine, then I would consider Consumer Report as a valuble

reference or source of information. But for things of this matter,

well........let's just say it's not they're area of expertise.

I'm not sure I'd trust Consumer Reports even for a toaster or washing machine. [:D] I think they are paid under the table by sears (kenmore reviews). The last item I got (a steam iron) leaked water all over the place and was one of their "top picks"!

Honestly, I think Consumer Reports electronic reviews are worth as much

as a car review in Time Magizine - that is, not a danm thing.

They seem to be a bunch of bone heads and don't really know about the

gear.

I leave car reviews to car magazines, home theater reviews to home theater magizines, and toaster reviews to CR.

i just read an artical on audiohaulics about the new 1080p displays and at this time all 1080p stuff is done inside the display with what ever upconvertion chip they install at the factory.

at this time no consumer display accepts a 1080p input in any format other than the 5 wire computer inputs and most rear projection units dont offer that style of input.

even if they did you would have to find a way to route all of your program matierial through your computer, with a very expensive video card.

with the upcoming blue ray disc players(due out this summer) you might wait on a 1080p unit for now untill they decide that they will take it from dvi /hdmi ect.

otherwise when you pony up for that hi-def dvd player

you wont be able to hook it up to your high dollar display

i was considering the new sony vpl100 projector untill i found this out

" here i sit broken hearted, wanted to watch some 1080p, and someone.......................took for granted that i didnt have a 1080p source"

jay

i just read an article on audioahulics about the new 1080p displays and at this time all 1080p stuff is done inside the display with what ever upconvertion chip the install at the factory.

at this time no consumer display accepts a 1080p input in any format other than the 5 wire computer inputs and most rear projection units dont offer that style of input.

and even if they did you would have to find a way to route all of your program matierial through your computer, with a very exprnsive video card.

with the upcoming blue ray disc players(due out this summer) you might wait on a 1080p unit for now untill they decide that they will take it from dvi /hdmi ect.

otherwise when you pony up for that hi-def dvd player

you wont be able to hook it up to your high dollar display

i was considering the new sony vpl100 projector untill i found this out

" here i sit broken hearted, wanted to watch some 1080p, and someone.......................took for granted that i didnt have a 1080p source"

jay

Here's the link to that online article

Sometimes you have to take the plunge anyway, you can't wait forever for the ideal 1080P display.

Aren't you looking forward to repurchasing some of your DVD collection at a premium price to see it in HD [:P]

"Here's the link to that online article

Sometimes you have to take the plunge anyway, you can't wait forever for the ideal 1080P display.

Aren't you looking forward to repurchasing some of your DVD collection at a premium price to see it in HD"

larry, thanks for putting up the link

i agree with taking the plunge, provided that he doesnt have a big hi-def display that he already owns.

but if he is going for an upgrade(as i am) then i just thought that he should know about that little drawback.

as far as my dvd collection goes, no kidding

although i dont have more than a few(15?) that i would go and repurchase.

jay

Thanks for the helpful discussions! Yes, I am aware that no true 1080p connections are apparently available on these 1080p televisions. They, of course, do the 1080p upconversion internally but one salesperson did tell me the Mits would accept 1080p content via an HDMI connection. Did he know what he was talking about? I don't know but I do plan on getting it in writing if I decide to buy one. [As an update, I stopped by the audio/visual store today and they said a fire cable is used to transfer the 1080p content to the Mits 1080p projection TV.]

Yes, I am virtually committed to buying a High Def TV, but should I spend $2K for a slightly lesser projection TV or the $3300 for the Mits that is 1080p, but who knows if it will accept direct 1080p content (whenever that will be available, if ever?) What about the Plasmas? Well, the wife is still in a quandry but we will eventually have to make a decision. But, the question now is, how significant is Mits 1080p output compared to a TV in the near future (maybe later this year) that will be able to natively play and display 1080 content? No Plasmas are equiped for accepting 1080p content are they?

D