Got my DeOxit - now what?

wuzzzer

Hi, angle the piece so that any excess runs out asap. Jam in some paper towels to mask off the surrounding areas. I just spray into any nook and cranny on the pot, especially the shaft stem, while twisting back and forth. Let it sit in a warm, dry enviroment for a day or so, and get down to the music.

Don't forget to get yer "knob" polished. [:|]

I have a nice full bottle of the stuff sitting at home. Used it once to fix a TT speed control knob. Worked great.

Just get it as far in as you can (take off the knob if possible) and turn the knob about 100 times to work it in. That's usually all it takes. Oh yeah, make sure the power is off.[:o]

Thanks everyone. The DeOxit I got is in a small tube that looks like its for more precision applications. I shouldn't have too much runoff to clean up.

So I pretty much want to use it on the knobs such as volume, balance, etc? Take the knobs off and then apply the DeOxit to the 'post' that's sticking out? How far into the receiver do I want to apply it?

Is there anything I need to do under the hood, so to speak? Should I be using the DeOxit on anything inside the receiver?

"small tube..." you did that on purpose...

A good way to operate the knobs a zillion times is to use a cloth like a face cloth, hold one edge by two corners, drape it over the knob, and alternate pulling each side up and down - like a miniature exercise machine. Socks work too. This way it only takes about 20 seconds to do 100x. This helps a lot if your gear has a dozen knobs on it.

You not going to accomplish a thing but make a big mess by taking the knobs off and spraying deoxit on the shaft. You have to take the case or cabinet off the unit and also the bottom cover to get too the main parts of the pots too clean them. After taking off the top and bottom covers move the volume controll back and forth and watch real closely for movement inside the pot, there should be gaps or small holes in the volume pot, you will most likely see a small metel peace that moves around while you turn the volume knob. This is what you want too spray your deoxit on all the gaps and holes where this movement takes place. Give it a good shot off deoxit and move the volume controll about 50 times back and forth. Do this too all the controlls. Make sure the unit is unpluged will doing this, after unit sits a few hours fire it up.

Thanks everyone. The DeOxit I got is in a

small tube that looks like its for more precision applications. I

shouldn't have too much runoff to clean up.

all I did was apply it with the brush to the nut holding the pole (does that make sense?).

"small tube..." you did that on purpose...

A

good way to operate the knobs a zillion times is to use a cloth like a

face cloth, hold one edge by two corners, drape it over the knob, and

alternate pulling each side up and down - like a miniature exercise

machine. Socks work too. This way it only takes about 20 seconds to do

100x.

You not going to accomplish a thing but make a big

mess by taking the knobs off and spraying deoxit on the shaft.

with excerpts like that its hard not to laugh!!! [:o]

Regardless, glad the original poster asked. I picked up a Sansui 1970's quad receiver free, and it DEFINITELY needs the volume pot cleaned - you can't believe the transients this unit puts out when first turned on. My fresh can of Deoxit also waits....

Chris