Stevens Tru-Sonic 103LX

yup

Some time ago I posted the Vacuum Tube Valley article on the K-Horn. Now it is difficult to find old posts because of the new search function. But the webmaster is working on that.

In any event, the article has a side box listing the drivers used over the years. It lists "1940s - 50s 103LX2 Stevens". There is no info on impedance

Gil

I'm running the stock pair of 103-LX, that came in my '57 Khorns.

They sound great.

Of course, they were implemented in a mono configured cabinet.

That might say something about the design application, but I really can't comment on the specs.

I don't have the particular "dope from Hope", in front of me, but I do recall that PWK had suggested that it be retained for continued use after the 1958/60 modification period.

IMO they are really well made drivers.

Though, i'm biased in the fact that i'm a Stevens/Tru-Sonic fan.

Heh.

Even if they couldn't keep their building(s) from burning down....they still made some serious drivers.

Regards,

John.

I'm measuring 3.2 Ohms at the terminal block on the outside of the doghouse.

Strange....

Can that be right?

I really don't want to break the seal I made on the doghouses to get a more acurate measurement.

Can't comment on the differences between the two drivers types.

I'm not familiar with the other.

My 57s' have the 6 inch slot. FWIW.

Regards,

John.

Great information! Thanks

Do you think these Tru-sonic speakers would be a good fit for a set of the university classics?

I have a marantz tube amp with 16 ohm taps so I would be running them at half power since they are 32 ohms...

Thanks,

Jeff

You are correct that most 16 ohm woofers have DCR in the 11 to 12 ohm range. But that doesn't have to be the case. The Stephens 103LX2 and ElectroVoice 15WK were designed to PWKs specs for use in a horn loaded enclosure, at least as far as the voice coil DCR was concerned.

• 13 years later...

Hello All,

I just picked up an immaculate set of Stephens Tru-Sonic speakers that were in a church forever.  There are no badges, or model numbers on the cabinets.. The drivers are (2) 103LX and a 214 Horn...Score..  I have had a lot of Klipsch, so, these are exciting.  I have not hooked them up yet because I will need to go through the drivers and test them.  The crossovers are immense, and the cabinets are well built..  My question:  Why are there two sets of wires to connect:  Do you have to bi-amp these?  Any help is appreciated.. photos included.. Thanks.