Ring, ring.....Klipsch sub(s) question for Klipsch designers

Tom Adams

I know the RSW-15 is slated to be discontinued, but I was wondering if someone from Klipsch would care to comment on the design goals (with regards to sound) of the RSW-15 versus the 120 THX versus the new reference 12d that will make its appearance in a few months. I realize that listening is believing [:)] , but would appreciate some insight.

Thanks!!

Tom

• Klipsch Employees

For the most part goals are simple.

Be flater, lower, louder than the other guys in the same price range.

The THX sub was / is a product of it's own. It had to meet THX Ultra II spec's. It had to be an install unit.

These things were different than the othere subs we build.

As for the RT subs vs. RSW we wanted to have a sub that was a good bit smaller and took up less floor space BUT have the same output as the next size up RSW.

Tall order at best.

RT-12 goes lower and plays almost as loud as the RSW-15.

Ya, I wanna hear the difference between Ultra2 versus the RT-12 as well. I have a feeling the RT subs are going to sound better [:)]

Well....here's what my gut is telling me. That I will listen to the RSW-15 and then the RT-12 and realize that the RT-12 does everything the (retired) RSW-15 does. So far, so good. Then I'll give the THX120 a whirl and find that it does a decent job with music, but is very good with movies. The RT-12 will do music serious justice and hold it's own against the (single) 120. At that point my brain will compute the cost of the two options and conclude that I've run up against the laws of diminishing returns i.e. it will cost much more for a minimal incremental gain to implement the THX120.

OTOH.....I could be wrong. [*-)] [:)]

Tom

• Klipsch Employees

If you go with only one cabinet in the THX system you are right.

The THX sub is very fast. As it is a 12 inch cone on the RSW 15 motor in a ported cabinet.

All that = fast, low & loud.

THe one thing it does that I dont like is at HIGH output the ports noise can be heard.

You dont get that with a passive.

With a passive you loose SPL / volume.

If you stay in the 100db range, the RT12 is your best choice.

I

know the RSW-15 is slated to be discontinued, but I was wondering if

someone from Klipsch would care to comment on the design goals (with

regards to sound) of the RSW-15 versus the 120 THX versus the new

reference 12d that will make its appearance in a few months.

Will Klipsch be offering any 15" subwoofer in it's lineup?

The THX sub is very fast. As it is a 12 inch cone on the RSW 15 motor in a ported cabinet.

THe one thing it does that I dont like is at HIGH output the ports noise can be heard.

Thanks Trey for the additional info. So if one is planning to operate beyond the 100db range, you're suggesting that one or two THX's be employed?

And are you guys at a point that you can give us some specs on the RT12 or are you still tweaking?

Tom

Seriously, who stays in the 100dB range? [8-)]

The whimpy 100dB range is for mass market dollar store subs and sub standard products.

I like my subs to have headroom galore just in case an infidel questions my subsonic army might,so I can pump the volume justa bit to where ers start to fail. [:D]

I will look into the new RT Klipsch subs and you can bet I will compare them directly with Paradigm's Seismic 10 and 12 [A]

Not against some third class overmatched competition

• 1 month later...

They looked impressive from a fit and finish regard and you plans with the DSP module are on par if not exceeds others in the field.

The line will be 12 - 15 - 18 as I recall.

What is the power output? Are using the new class D modules from B&O or Tripath?

mm

Fast? I hate that word. Did you use Klippel and test he velocity yourself? The kw-120 and rsw-15 use the same motor. In a simialr designed box, the RSW-15 would be the clear winner in all catatories. Bottom-line, I have no idea why Klipsch did not use the 15" woofer for the KW-120's the difference in price is probably less than 30 for the driver and a not too much more for a larger box. My only guess is it would have been overkill... indeed.