Anyone buy from one of those 'wholesalers' on ebay?

PiperG

So you don't think those things are knockoffs? I mean, how are they able to sell a 750 dollar speaker for 550.... that is the question.

I treat my a/v stuff like gold, so a warranty is the least of my worries. I just want to make sure it's the real thing.

I mean, how are they able to sell a 750 dollar speaker for 550....

You could probably buy one for that at an authorized dealer, if you find a salesman willing to make deals. Dealer cost on speakers is roughly Half the MSRP, so even at $550, they're making $175 profit...A lot more than they make on, say, a 27" TV.

Well, the average speaker is marked up around 100% of dealer cost. So a speaker that retails at $750 costs the dealer about $375. If they sell it for $550 they're still making $175.

You'd be saving about 27% off retail, which isn't too huge of a discount to make you worried if its legit.

Sometimes the product on eBay is new-in-box that a dealer has just had laying around for a long time. Better to sell it at a discount than have it taking up room in the warehouse. I work in sales and from time to time I have told fellow salespeople "Better to make something than make nothing."

YCurious thing is, the speakers do not have the serial number tags on the back......

I assume they all have these tags from Klipsch, correct??

Correct. Klipsch doesn't allow internet sales of new products, so the dealer who do sell them, remove the tags because

1) the warranty isn't valid

2) they don't want to be traced back

These speakers usually are purchased from Klipsch by an authorized

retailer (for local or export sales), who could loose his right

to sell Klipsch if they find out he is selling online.

ROb

YCurious thing is, the speakers do not have the serial number tags on the back......

I assume they all have these tags from Klipsch, correct??

Correct. Klipsch doesn't allow internet sales of new products, so the dealer who do sell them, remove the tags because

1) the warranty isn't valid

2) they don't want to be traced back

These speakers usually are purchased from Klipsch by an authorized retailer (for local or export sales), who could loose his right to sell Klipsch if they find out he is selling online.

ROb

So I should not worry about the legitimacy of these then?

Hey myhamish, it's what my co-worker calls me at work. Piper being my last name and G because I always imitate kennyg at work. Thanks for the welcome. I love my speakers, have had them about 5 months. I have the rc 35 but have the upgrade bug on the rc 7. I'm tired of hearing how this speaker blows everything away, and not owning one.

At $550 it may not be a fake, but pricing is the only thing that brings me to that conclusion. That's not much of a wholesale ebay bargain. When I get a bargain on ebay with no regards to legitimacy I want at least 75% off retail. Oakleys, Rolexes, Roles Royces, etc. They better be 75% off or no deal!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up some RSX-5's from that seller,

All seems fine except for the fact that is bothering me rite now...

They do not seem to be fully magnetically shieled, they cause interference to my monitor when under 6 inches away.

Klipsch states that they are supposed to be magnetically shielded,

This means this particular seller with over 350 feedback on klipsch products may be selling fakes.

How is this possible?

Buy from an authorized dealer. We all pay the same cost and if you have any issues, you are taken care of. Granted, Klipsch is pretty reliable, but things DO happen. I have a customer I talked to today who ordered a THX Ultra 2 package from one of the New York unauthorized dealers. The price was cheap...too cheap. Only issue is, they have not shipped, they are giving him a run around, they charged his debit card and they now refuse to refund his money. Do not assume they have the product in stock. Often they'll advertise, get somebody to pay them and they go out and try to source it. If you ask for a refund, they'll try to hit you with a "restocking charge"...which is ridiculous since it wasn't in stock to begin with. With a dealer, if they don't have it in stock, they log onto their Klipsch dealer account, punch in the order and you know it will show up, factory fresh, A-stock with full warranty.

PiperG -

I just bought two pair of new RB75's from a seller on ebay. I would have bought them locally but my

local dealers could no longer get the RB75's since they've been discontinued.

Anyway, they seller shipped them Fedex Ground (from CT to LA) and two of the speakers arrived

broken. The horn drivers were completely broken off of the plastic horn structure and were dangling

by the wires inside the cabinets.

Well, the story had good ending for me. The seller shipped me another pair the next day (by Fedex Overnight). And the seller provided me a Fedex number to return the broken pair back to them.

All of the speakers I received had been opened before shipping for the serial number labels to be

removed, but I understand this is common practice with the Klipsch reference speakers on ebay.

Altogether my experience was good, although I was quite nervous for a while until the replacement

pair showed up in good condition.

Dave