Generous offer!

fini

Of course people can always choose to sell them to this guy: http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/wan/125262217.html who posts: "I am ALWAYS looking to purchase vintage speakers or audio equipment. Please respond to this listing if you are interested in selling your new or old loudspeakers, amplifier, tube amp, or turntable that may have been sitting in your garage, basement or storage area taking up space. I will offer you top dollar for these wanted items which may include ( Klipsch, McIntosh, Krell, Quad, B&W, B&O, Bose, JBL, Fender, Thorens, Altec Lansing, Electro Voice, Fisher, Western Electric, Marantz, Acoustic Research, Meyer Sound, Crown, Tannoy, Thiel, Rogers, Kef, Martin Logan, Legacy, Jadis, Cary, Proceed, Paragon, Sonus Faber, Mark Levinson, Classe, Fender, Bang & Olufsen, Infinity, Monitor Audio, Snell, Proac, Cello, ADS, M&K, AR, Wilson, Revel, EMT, Linn, Clearaudio, Meridian, Aerial Acoustics ) Thank You!"

I see That Gentleman ... is offering" Top Dollar "..........

i don't see a mention of " $300 for LaScala." ........

Personally, If you were "looking to save them from a landfill".......

would'nt you be happy to offer a more Fair Price ...???

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

give him a break, hell I think its a good try, why not, a deals a deal. One mans garbage is anothers trash. As long as both parties walk away satisfied no one gets hurt. play ball!!

Just because something is worth one dollar amount to one person the other would just assume throw it out. Happens all the time

good luck Steve.

I don't see what the problem is. He is offering to buy some Klipsch speakers, at what seems to be cheap prices.

Let me help shed some light on your SEEMING doubt. His offer is criminally low, and is something on par with what you'd expect a Pawn Shop to offer.

Is there anything wrong with praying on the ignorant, well, to this degree no. But it does say quite alot about his moral values and character.

I don't agree, criminally low would be $100 or less. I would say his offer would be wholesale price. Just because you wouldn't sell yours for that price does not make him a criminal. I still don't see as it should be of any concern to folks here. It is between him and any potential sellers. I agree it is a lowball offer, but it's no sweat to me. Let Corvette fill up his house with speakers at bargin prices, I don't have a problem with it.

I wouldn't feel right about that...in my job I have had the opportunity to "make a quick buck" off of someone else's misery...I have always pointed them in the direction (If I knew it) for them to get more...by the way, this is no reflection on corvette...I was just responding to some other discussion here.

Bill

Reminds me of a Country song where he answers an ad to buy an old Chevrolet and the old lady doesn't realize it's a mint '66 Corvette. He gives her the grand or so and takes the car. I can't say that I would or wouldn't make that deal without telling her what she had but, one way to figure it is that if he doesn't, somebody else will.

D

I see no problem with it at all. In an arms' length transaction, whatever a person wants to sell for is their prerogative - no matter whether ignorance drives the bargain or not.

Just try to write a law for your moral highground and see what you get.

Something, like maybe... "No party to a contract shall ever ask for or receive a price he or she should know is most likely only attainable from an ignorant seller or buyer."

Then what? Lawsuits over what constitutes "should know," "most likely" and "ignorant."

If you like that law, then we'd need another one that says "No party to a contract shall ever offer or pay a price he or she should know is too high but for his or her ignorance."

That would be a great law! I'd gets lots of business. [:D]

It could be seen a praying on the ignorant what vette is doing but I

don't think so. I will say this. there is a reverse in a way. I'll

explain. I have offered up some gear here in the past a VERY good

prices for the members here first, (and NICE gear I may ad no junk.) I

wil not use any names but I got some of the most rediculous "low ball"

offers I had ever heard of. Instead of saying anything I just moved

them off to Audiogon where the stuff sold. Just my take on it I guess.

Jeff,

I understand your position, although I don't agree with it. I have gotten good deals on Klipsch speakers ($1k for K-Horns & $400 For Cornwalls). The difference is that I was patient and able to leverage the deal (i.e, provide transport, pay cash, alleviate some hassle for the seller). In both cases, the seller understood that I was getting a deal. There was no subterfuge.

Your logic & approach has been a legal & economic argument. In that view, you are correct. No one was forced to sell at a discount, or someone else would have done it also, etc... The justifications & rationalizations can go on forever.

However, there is another approach. That argument is based on the notion: was it the right thing to do?That is a tougher one to judge and everyone must decide it for themselves. My criteria (whether it is speakers or the corvette) is how would you feel if it was your grandmother or child being exploited by their own ignorance. I think that casts a different light on things.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Screw 'em!! That's what I say. What of the ignorant a-holes that give their stuff to Goodwill and you go in and pick it up for a few lousy bucks; come on the forum and we all praise you and are not-so-secretly jealous that we didn't score that deal. Everybody is looking for a good deal that's why people go to garage sales, estate sales, thrift stores, etc. It's all based on peoples own ignorance of what somethings worth. You ever watch Antique Roadshow? If you don't have any sense of what your own possesions are worth, then they must not mean much to you at all. Quit bein' such Bi'atches and give Vette a break!!

Screw 'em!! That's what I

say. What of the ignorant a-holes that give their stuff to

Goodwill and you go in and pick it up for a few lousy bucks;

come on the forum and we all praise you and are not-so-secretly jealous

that we didn't score that deal. Everybody is looking for a

good deal that's why people go to garage sales, estate

sales, thrift stores, etc. It's all based on peoples own

ignorance of what somethings worth. You ever watch Antique

Roadshow? If you don't have any sense of what your own

possesions are worth, then they must not mean much to you at all.

Quit bein' such Bi'atches and give Vette a break!!

I see your point. That's why my wife totally knows what all my stuff is

worth and I update the list with dates and current prices whenever I

buy or sell something. I'll be damn if some SOB is gonna come in and

write what she thinks is a big check and take all my stuff for pennies

on the dollar! The only thing she would have trouble with is my record

collection wich is over 5,000 records. I do not think she would be

patient enough to want to take the time to sell them individually or in

bunches for what she could get. I agree though with the internet most

people can get at least a ballpark figure of what they own and what

it's worth.