Suggestions for speakers for my dad!

33klfan

I'll start off saying that i think my dad is long over due for new front speakers. They are 15 yr. old fisher 3 ways. He has a panasonic receiver and dvd player, pioneer cd player and cassette deck, technics turntable. I would think the fronts would be the first big upgrade that should be done, and then work from there like i have the past years. The price point is around $600. I figure most of you are going to say about klipsch but i didn't know if any other speaker are as comparable for what you get for the money. Any suggestions here would be much appreciated.

• Moderators

You may need to let us know if you prefer new or used?

That being said. This is our personal experience. We have purchased two pairs of Forte II's in the past eight months from e-bay,(with seller recommendation from fellow forum members). First pair was purchased for about $450.00, second pair was about $350.00. Both pairs of speakers are in very good condition. We were extremely fortunate to get those prices and have the both sellers within a reasonable driving distance. We would recommend used Forte II's as a viable option.

I am sure some of the other folks on here will also make some recommendations for you.

Wow, i checked audiogon, and there is a pair of forte II's like only 30 miles away. I never saw anything on sale from audiogon or ebay that close before. They are $600. I can audition them the guy wrote. There is a chip out of the one corner, but i think it is on the back side. When did these models come out? Are the forte II's better than the I's? What's the size of them? I don't usually like buying used stuff but it is close if any problems persist.

• Moderators

If you get the serial numbers from the seller, we can tell you when they were manufactured. $600 is not an unreasonable price, for a pair in good shape.

The last pair of Forte ll's on ebay went for $700.00, including shipping. That is why we felt so fortunate to get ours at such a low price.(thanks to colterphoto a fellow Forum member)

You definitely do not want to have them shipped, so this may be a good deal for you. Be sure to take the guy up on his offer to audition them.

Yes ll's are better than l's. The speaker is approximately 12"deep x 17"wide x 35" high. What finish do the speakers have that you are looking at. Do not let the size worry you.

You really need to take a ride and listen to the speakers, even if you do not buy them. I think you will love them and bring them home to Mom and she will love them. We listen to ALOT of music, I don't like "big" speakers either, but these speakers are well worth sacrificing the space.

These speakers do not need a lot of volume to sound really good. We love them so much we will be purchasing a third pair to complete our surround sound.

The guy selling the speakers you are looking at is a forum member.

Shop slow...buy fast.

You guys are reccommending Hertiage Klipsch to go with a 15 year old Panasonic receiver? Seems to me that would not be the best combo.

Now, if you can find a pair of Heresy's for around $400, use the remaining $200 to pick up a new Panny digital receiver. That might be a much better combo. This assumes dad is not spinning as much vinyl these days. If he is, then maybe hold out for a HK 430 or 730 receiver to replace the Panny.

quote userdtel's wife

Yes ll's are better than l's. The speaker is approximately 12"deep x 17"wide x 35" high. What finish do the speakers have that you are looking at. Do not let the size worry you.

... fast.

I think that to make a definitive statement like that is perhaps

not quite fair. There is a slight difference in the sound of the two

series but many prefer the sound of 1s over 2s. I know I do. I think it

is more of a personal choice and that either set will be just fine.

You guys are reccommending Hertiage Klipsch to go with a 15 year old Panasonic receiver? Seems to me that would not be the best combo.

Now, if you can find a pair of Heresy's for around $400, use the remaining $200 to pick up a new Panny digital receiver. That might be a much better combo. This assumes dad is not spinning as much vinyl these days. If he is, then maybe hold out for a HK 430 or 730 receiver to replace the Panny.

The speakers were 15 years old and he is looking for a starting point in the upgrade cycle. He wants to start with speakers and then other components as necessary.

If you wanted to go new there is always the synergy lineup to consider...

Btw, does your dad want new speakers or do you want him to have new

speakers? I know older folk tend to be more set in their ways and

usually satisfied with what they have - after all these years he is

probably very accustomed to their sound such that anything else will

probably sound wrong to him. Anyways, just make sure you look out for

your dad's best interests too.

The speakers were 15 years old and he is looking for a starting point in the upgrade cycle. He wants to start with speakers and then other components as necessary.

Yup, I totally get it. But the point still stands that if paired with vintage Klipsch, that combo is going to be an ear-bleeder. Thus, I offered some suggestions about how to get the most out of the $600.

Whell, the panasonic receiver is like 3 years old. I know i would like to have it upgraded eventually. It's what i use to have. I doubt that receiver will be upgraded soon though because it's been a hard task to get him to get new speakers. So if those forte's aren't good with that panasonic they are prolly out. I wish i could get them if i like them and depending on their condition. The user under audiogon was rdinterman. Is that familiar?

Well, my mom mainly wants new because of size and aesthetics. She doesn't want the forte's because they aren't much improvement in size or aesthetics. I understand they are for sound. Don't get me wrong. It just seems like new is better for our situation. If i had the money and liked those fortes i would give my dad my sf-1's, but i don't know about room in my room. It would be real tight if the width of them would even fit. Also, my bed is like 2' away from the front of my speakers and the woofer of those might be kind of blocked for my listening.