<deleted>

Adriel

I may be wrong here but here is how I see it.

BASH(no it aint trash)amplifiers are mostly used for subwoofers.The sub does not need a high-end detailed class A or even class AB amp.The BASH(it costs less CASH)amps are more cost efective.The amp does not need any large power transformer(cost cuts)and cooler if well designed.

BASH amps will not take over the quality market segment and will not be used with very revealing speakers(a GASH will open in your ear drum).Most BASH amps are well suited for subs.

Klipsch decided to use the BASH amps to save money in the Promedias speakers.While plenty for PC use these are not the same quality as a well designed class A or AB amp.The only great sounding eficient amps are made by Sunfire,Bob Carver is a master of this type of design.He is a real pioneer,from the Carvers to now his Sunfire amps his designs sound good.Very good

For those who remember the Carver Lightstar

Imagine a 4.1 or the 5.1 class AB amp module!A BIG transformer and heatsinks would have to be added.This would raise the price by $50-$150 depending on amp design.Krell will not be making the ProMedia amps soon Smile.gif

I would stick with the 2.1 amp.(it should not MASH your music as much)

DanF any ideas here?I am sure you have something to say.Klipschers(admins)anything to say?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

From what I understand the farther through the alphabet you get, the more efficient, but worse sound quality. Class A is very inefficient. I think I read they produce full power when not playing anything. And use some of that power to play sounds as required. Some one correct me if I'm wrong on this. Class amps are highend, and will NEVER be used in pc systems. It's almost like having tube amps for the pros. Bash works by using a switching power supply, so it only uses the power required. I'm just checking my knowledge. Is this right Dan F? How do the AB amps work?

BASH or non-BASH, Klipsch works to get the best performance value for its customers. I know, I know, it sounds like a commercial, but that's essentially what happens in the development phase.

Until BASH came along, there was literally no way to do a 4 channel system with the kind of output it had to have to make smaller speakers rock like a Klipsch system. So, that turned out to be a very nice fit. BASH is more expensive than class AB, but solved the heat related problems that kept multichannel stuff from happening. Turns out BASH is probably the best way to do multichannel, because the output sections (being linear AB) don't need the filters that drive the costs of normal class-D combinations through the roof. So it was a good choice for the 4.1 and 5.1 systems.

The choice was not as clear on the 2.1 system. 200 Watts could be accommodated a little easier for heat related issues, as long as a class-D sub section was provided. This was the choice made.

I think it's possible to design good and bad amplifiers in any class. At one time, transistor matching was such a crap-shoot that class AB didn't have a chance. Now that the Power MOSFET game is a decade or two along, class AB can work very well; whether using a linear power supply (as in the 2.1,) or a switching power supply (as in the 4.1 and 5.1).

For the 4.1 to be used in a 2.1 configuration, I think you would find the benefits to be in the 2+ dB headroom at the high frequency, and more punch at the low frequency end.

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

Wise posts Mr DanF,as always.

One thing is not correct,BASH amps are in no way a revolution.A pioneer named Bob Carver(founded Carver,Sunfire),more a maverick.This man solved the heat issues way before BASH came to be.Today you can get a Sunfire Signature HT amp(405W RMS at 8 Ohms all channels driven times five! in a 50lbs amp!)this amp is cool even when driving dificult loads and with enormous power output.

Bob Carvers latest amps sound way better then BASH amps(at any price).

This enabled Bob Carver to create his now famous Sunfire True Sub,copied by every Joe who has a speaker plant.

Lets face it,BASH is no miracle.Carver and now Sunfire master cool running,very powerful amps.And great sounding amps too.

I has a Sunfire Signature stereo amp and have a Carver TFM-75.These amps run very cool and have huge power outputs.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...