I need to buy a HK730

intotubes

I've got my eye on two on epay. Please don't bid against me so I can get one! I want a 930 but they go pretty high. I've got a kitchen pass for $70 or 80. Might be able to squeeze a couple more don't know so I need to get lucky. :)

Hopefully a 730 will find it's way to me.

btw I am idustrialsupplies on ebay (no "n") but you won't see me till 10 seconds prior to close.

OR maybe one of the brothers here has one he wants to bless me with, you never know......

TIA

Kaiser,

The h/k citation 12 amp with the citation 11 pre-amp is a MUCH better-sounding combo than the citation 16 with the 11. If all you want is more power from an amp section than the citation 12 will give you, then I would suggest combining the citation 11 pre-amp with a Dynaco Stereo 400 M/A power amp. That combo will eat the lunch of the citation 16 in sound quality while still providing the power the 16 gives! Add to that the dependability factor, because Citation 16 amps had lots of teething problems when driven hard, and the company never really overcame those problems, but the Dynaco Stereo 400 was the "bullet-proof" 200 wpc amp of that era (especially when equipped with the optional whisper-fan kit for the huge heat sinks on its rear!). Ever wonder why you just don't see many Citation 16's around? (hint: they broke alot!) Trust me on this!

Thanks HDBRbuilder, I'm only going off my recollection of selling that setup back in my AF days in Germany. I sold gear at the local AFFEES on my base and I'll never forget how sweet the 16/11 combo was driving a pair of 300 Summits, I had never heard the War Galaxy album sound so good!

I'll keep your info on the 16 in my memory bank in case I do really come across one[:)]

Kaiser,

That's how I know about the reliability problems and such of the h/k Citation 16. I was in Italy back when they came out. We had been reading all about the 16 for months before one actually arrived at the Audio Club, and we had been looking forward to hearing it. Imagine our disappointment when we went down to the showroom and did a comparison between the 16 and the Dynaco 400(which had been the "big dog" of choice for awhile already) through LaScalas, and the Dynaco ate the 16's lunch for range and clarity!

There were a number of guys who had been holding onto cash to make a 16 purchase and they bought Dynacos, instead; but the worst part of it was that they had held onto that cash waiting for the 16 to arrive while a sale on factory-built Dynacos was going on, and because the sale ended right before the 16's arrival, they ended up having to pay more for the Dynacos because of that. Some of the Bose 901/501 guys grabbed up a few 16's, and a few of the guys pushing JBL L-100's and 4311 monitors got a few of them, but they all had heat-related problems when driving them hard.

That was when most of us began to realize that bigger (the audio trend was already into the watts wars then) is not necessarily better; and also that just because a bunch of audio mags praise a new piece of equipment, that doesn't make that equipment perform any better than a piece of equipment that has already been in production for a few years. Most of the guys in my unit used receivers, but some used separates, and there ended up being lots of Dynaco 400's around for those pushing large speaker set-ups. Bose came out with its first big power amp about the same time as the 16 came on the scene, but the only speakers that performed with that amp were 901's, and those 901 guys were half-tin-eared, anyway[:P]

I remember those. I was in the AF in Germany from 78 - 82, and that is where I heard Klipsch for the first time (La Scala's) in Ramstein while doing some TDY in Sembach. I was stationed in Hessisch Oldendorf (609th) from 78 - 82.

That is when I got into audio and started buying my own equipment. I started with the Sansui G-8000 receiver

Posted Image

and am so angry I let it go for $400 when I bought my Yamaha M4/C4/T7 combo in 82. This one just sold for $455 on eBay. I couldn't get that in total for the Yamaha stuff (which I still own).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansui-G-8000-Vintage-Stereo-Receiver-120WPC-Beautiful_W0QQitemZ5847044858QQcategoryZ50592QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also had some Infinity Column II's which sounded nice (and went for $1400 at the time), but really wish I would have went for some Cornwalls. These did me well until they were replaced in 96 with some CF-2's.

Posted Image

I still have my Dual 721 turntable (bought in 78) with Shure V15 IV cartridge (also have a CS-5000), Nakamichi deck, SAE 5000 NR unit and DBX 3BX range expander.

I really miss that receiver. Besides being beautiful it sounded great, with a great phono preamp in it.

Those were the days,

Mike

Well after my thread was mildy hijacked (interesting though) I will bring it back to the original subject.

I didn't get either 730. I am going to wait for one in a little better shape. Even with missing lights and scratchy controls they are still going for close to $100 after shipping. I missed a nice one at a local thrift store for $120 in near mint condition. Oh well, snooze, lose and all that. I went for a 930 in nice condition but it went for more than I wanted to spend. At least I tried on that one. No telling what the winner's max bid was but it was more than mine.

There is another 730 up for bid right now. I am watching that one. The guy only takes money orders though. For some reason he thinks there is still an element of trust on E-Bay these days. He hasn't sold anything for 3 years. I may take a chance anyway. No paypal will keep a lot of bidders away.

No big deal, intotubes. Those 730's show up on ebay all the time, as do the 430's, but the 930's show up much less often than the others. A couple of years ago you could grab a 430 for under 50 bucks all month long, and a 730 for under 75 bucks, but now they are going for almost twice that rergularly (sometimes even more than that). Lots of folks have "re-discovered" the x30 series and are driving the prices up on them, BUT at least you don't end up paying McIntosh S/S prices! (YET!)

Just be patient and wait for the good deal on one in good condition to come along, it will!

I have a mint condition HK 630 for sale. I have cleaned the pot and it is in absolutely beautiful condition. The price is $75 plus shipping. I figure about $25 to $35 for just about anywhere (I want to use Fed Ex, I think they are cheaper).

I have a deal pending with a forum member. I think that a money order was sent, but it has been a while and I have not heard from him after sending an email. If he backs out (I will make sure that he confirms that he is backing out - I like to do good business), it is your if you like. It is all packed up in a heaver receiver box with solid styrofoam (I always package really well, I had an NOS Valves Scott get damaged once).

Let me know if you are interested, I can forward some pics. (email me your email address if you want pics).

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a 730 recently for $13, replaced the lights and cleaned it up. Sold it to a co-worker for $35. These things do show up in the thrifts, persistence pays off. BTW, what is the fascination with the twin powered receivers here at Klipsch? MIne sounded good, looked okay, but wasn't what I would would consider spectacular. What gives?

I found one in a thrift store locally in very good to excellent condition. I went ahead and bought it, a bird in the hand etc.

Of course, as is my habit in buying vintage gear, I paid top dollar.

I am really impressed. I think it is a VERY good sounding amp. Great tuner too. I've been driving a pair of Altec Lansing two-ways with it and it sounds super. Plenty of power for a 40 watt amp. IMO the old HK stuff was top shelf in it's day. I would have cutt of my left @*# for one 15-20 yrs ago. Now I have one. Vintage is the only way I can afford high end gear.

I can't speak for the board but that's my fascination with them.

-Mark

The fact that they have a relatively low wattage rating takes advantage of the high sensitivity of Klipsch speakers. And they are clean watts, real watts.

My 730 drives my RF-7s with ease, I've never had it above 1/2 volume. And its LOUD and CLEAN!

They really are a very inexpensive way to set up a decent 2 channel system without breaking the bank. Then if a person decides to go with newer higher end gear they probably won't lose any money if they sell the 730.