Hot Rod BELLE'S

joetubeman

Hi all,

I'm new to this board and am I'mm looking for some insight to improving my 73 Belle's. Has anyone used vintage JBL, EV or modern TAD drives on the Mid horn? It currently has a K55V. Also what about the woofer? Is a JBL D 130A a drop in replacement? Overall I like the stok drivers but I would like to experiment. Crossover and wiring changes are also on my list, but I would like to get comments on the mid driver and the woofer first. I like the stock tweeters(K77) EV's I believe, but relize that it would be hard to mount something in the K77s place. However, how about a JBL LE 175 mounted on top of the cabinet!!! Al comments welcomed.

Thanks

Joe

MarkF would be the guy to ask but your pretty Belle would be unrecognizable after the mid replacement.

You should check out the prices of the TADs and JBLs of the world. They are on the high side and unless you are rich they are not an experimenter's dream. Think about buying parts used, which will significantly decrease your choice of models.

Joe---I'm a big JBL-Altec fan but I'd leave the Belles alone. The D-130 is a good horn driver but lacks the K-33's xmax. The woof-mid crossover at 400 means you must use a phenolic diapgragm 1" compression driver, aluminum-titanium-berilium diaphragmed drivers like Altec 802s, JBL 2420s, JBL LE-85s and LE-175s, or TAD 2001s won't work. The JBL 2470 is a good phenolic driver but I doubt it's any better than the Klipsch driver in this use. The LE-175 won't respond as high as the Belle's T-35 though some would think it sounds better. And changing drivers means screwing around with the crossovers. If you have vintage JBL drivers you want to use I suggest building a DIY JBL rig---D-130s in a suitable box, cross to the LE-175s at 800 or 1200 depending on the horn you use. What horns do you have for the 175s, potato mashers or cheese graters?

The K-33-E, the latest version, is optimized for the Belle/La Scala/K-horn back air chamber and compression chamber volumes. It is said there are few better for use in folded horns. If you have a -B, the -E is a nice upgrade. Al Klappenberger's xovers are flexible and very sweet sounding. You'll like them and they will help you match the output of other squawkers.

You HAVE wrapped the squawker horn and tweeter with damping material, haven't you? Have you tightly stuffed the HF cabinet with poly fiberfil?

John

Joe,

I've replaced my K-77M's with JBL slotted

compression horn tweeters: JBL model #2405H, they are easily much better than the Klipsch/EV's. $225 ea. from JBL Pro dealer

I mount mine above my Khorns. But there just isn't quite enough space to cut a round hole in the middle of the retangular hole and mount them like:

=O=s>

The diam. of the JBL tweeter front is 3 inches. I would mount any NEW tweeter above the speaker & just disconnect the stock ones.

Don't destroy the value of the "Belles" in any way.

So Joe, wacha got for tube equipment wink.gif

-Ken

Thanks to all who responded. I guess the consensus is to leave them alone! I will damp the squwaker and fill with fiber and maybe Al's crosovers. I also want to rewire with silver wiring. What wire do you guys suggest? To answer the tube amp question, I currently have two amps that I use; a Mcintosh 275 and a pair of Marantz 9's. I've been into tubes for sometime and have owned several different amps. I have never tried a SET though.I think the wife would kill me if I bought another amp.

Thanks

Joe