Zenith 50" Widescreen Plasma HDTV with HDMI Interface

D-Rex

Anyone have this TV? $3000K with $400 in rebates seems like too good a price for a 50" Plasma but I am going to look into it on Saturday. Is one HDMI connection good enough or should a set really have two? I am planning to have this TV for at least 8-10 years!

Thanks,

D

It is my understanding that plasma tv's have approximately a 5 year life span, the elements slowly get dimmer. Well anyway they will be totally outmoded by that time and you will have to upgrade to the new 10,000P 3D holographics.

JJK

So, you are saying if I buy Plasma I will possibly only get 5 years out of it? They claim I can get over 20K hours, even as much as 60K hours. Of course, they only guarantee the first year!! Hmmmm....

I was reading a few stories about some individuals having to replace the bulbs in their rear projectors 2-3 times within the first 5 years. If that is the case (and I know cases will vary), it wouldn't necessarily be worth it to buy the rear projector over the Plasma if I can get the Plasma for $2,600...

D

So, you are saying if I buy Plasma I will possibly only get 5 years out of it? They claim I can get over 20K hours, even as much as 60K hours. Of course, they only guarantee the first year!! Hmmmm....

I was reading a few stories about some individuals having to replace the bulbs in their rear projectors 2-3 times within the first 5 years. If that is the case (and I know cases will vary), it wouldn't necessarily be worth it to buy the rear projector over the Plasma if I can get the Plasma for $2,600...

D

No - more than 5 years. I would tell you to research some threads in here for plasma v. DLP v. ????.

But that is almost impossible to do with "google" search. Reports I have read talk in terms of 20K on up - etc.

Our plasma is two years old and has not missed a beat. I expect it to keep going for some time yet.

Bottom line comes down to the picture. How does it compare to other plasmas?

The differences I have seen between various plasmas, picture-wise, is that some sets gravitate more towards "red-push" (vs. neutral greens and red) and some sets reproduce blacks better than others.

I would advise watching some various color and low-lit screens with the Zenith and see if its color and black reproduction satisfies you. If so, go for it.

Carl.

Honestly, not a whole lot uses DVI anymore aside from computers. That being said, DVI and HDMI are interchangeable for the most part. HDMI to DVI cables are available so you'll still be able to hook your DVI components up to your HDMI inputs with the help of a conversion cable (costs relatively close to the same as a standard DVI or HDMI cable). You'll just need a set of audio cables for sound.

I have no experience with Zenith plasmas ... In fact, I haven't seen one yet.

I have a 50" Panny plasma and it's wonderful. There was a myth floating around about the 5 year life, but it's bunk. 20K hours is a lot and I think that's the "half life" when the image starts to dim.

I would look at www.visualapex.com ... They're a great internet dealer and I bought my Panny through them. Panasonic, IMHO, has just about the best picture I've ever seen in a plasma. They were also considerably less than store-bought plasmas, but you can always take a quote (with shipping) into one of your local dealers and see if they'll match it or come close.

Good luck!

Chris

I have no experience with Zenith plasmas ... In fact, I haven't seen one yet.

I have a 50" Panny plasma and it's wonderful. There was a myth floating around about the 5 year life, but it's bunk. 20K hours is a lot and I think that's the "half life" when the image starts to dim.

I would look at www.visualapex.com ... They're a great internet dealer and I bought my Panny through them. Panasonic, IMHO, has just about the best picture I've ever seen in a plasma. They were also considerably less than store-bought plasmas, but you can always take a quote (with shipping) into one of your local dealers and see if they'll match it or come close.

Good luck!

Chris

I'd be VERY careful about ordering a plasma over the Internet. Not because of the danger of the company ripping you off, but rather the danger of the shipping company mishandling the television. This includes resting the set on its side. If and when a shipper does this, the colors can get all out of whack and you really won't be able to tell until you power the set on.

I would agree with the shipping caution, for sure. I went with Visual Apex because they spent a lot of time and care working on that. It shipped to me via Forward Air, I believe, and the box was standing as it should have and was in perfect shape.

VA recommends that you power up the TV as soon as possible and report any issues. They were, for me, at least, great to work with. I wouldn't think twice about buying from them again. I saved over $2000 by buying from them. They are Panasonic's #1 internet dealer because of their reputation.

I'm not endorsing any other internet vendor, though, due to lack of experience. Prof's comments and warnings are surely endorsed here.

Chris

you might want to take a look at the new Sony SXRD LCOS 50, if you don't mind a real light weight rptv. I know a nice bunch in Syracuse NY that can set you up w/ that for around $3k, no sales tax & delivered.

here's the review of the brother 60 by Tomlinson (attached).

B

That is good advice boa! We finally said no to the Zenith Plasma (although a 50" plasma for $2600 was hard to say no to! Ultimately, it was the picture quality (not quite as good as the other 50"plasmas), the silver color, and the plethora of choices that kept us from getting it. We couldn't argue too much about the price, but it just seemed to make sense to wait just a little longer and further evaluate the field of options.

During that wait we discovered the 50" Sony SXRD. It is the best rear projection TV we saw the entire weekend! It is very similar to the MITs 1080p but my wife liked the design of the Sony better. There might be other factors that would favor the Sony but there could be factors that favor the MITs as well. But, since my wife liked the Sony we focused on it and found the most reasonable price at a Sears store. Ultimate Electronics was over-priced by $400, Best Buy by $233, and Circuit City by only $50. Don't know if this is standard but that was our price findings. Will be gathering the funds over the next couple of days and make the trip to buy the Sony. It seems to be a great TV and hope it will provide years and years of enjoyment!

D