Women control 88% of electronics purchases -- deal with it!

Daddy Dee

from the article:

"Guys are happy to have monster speakers with wires and big amps all over the place but whoever the guy's married to isn't," said Ray Lepper, president of Home Media, a Richmond company that can creatively install electronics in walls, behind cabinets and even behind artwork.

It all depends on the financial trust you have in a relationship, not control of pocketbook by a particular sex. Most women are pretty savvy about todays technology and most guys are not electronic gadget slobs, but you always get articles like this to express the writer's personal viewpoint. [;)]

http://www.washingtontimes.com/business/20060120-103704-9932r.htm

Here's the Washington Times on WAF. no kidding.

I think they exaggerate the percentage....it' only 87.999999999999997%

Seriously, my wife is fairly tolerant as she too appreciates the quality of the system we have. Yes, she would love to see smaller speakers (hence the move FROM Cornwalls TO RF5's) but DOES love the sound of the system. I often come home to her playing music and we often sit together just to listen. It's not just cabinet size - it is also style(is this a variation on size matters?). When I showed her a picture of the B&W Nautilus - her comment was that they would be cool to own.....until I told her the price.........

I wish this stereotype was not passed on and on, like a cliche planted with a grow light.... In a good relationship, a relationship where you actually share in the love of music and what brings it in the home, this should not be an issue, on either side.

One thing that hurts it is that many men (and women, sadly) have the aesthetic acumen of a five year old with horse blinders on. Some of the rooms you see posted online make one recoil in horror. On the other hand, many of the mediocre touches come from the knick knack beautification you see attempted whether it be stuffed animals, Home Shopping Network Ceramic figuroids, and psuedo oak laminate surrounded by overstuffed furniture circa Ranch House Living ala 1975.

I dont know which sorry magazine came up with "WAF" but they should be beaten about the head and shoulders with a bag of loose change. I first remember reading it in Stereophile back in the 80s and groaned then. It had catch phrase written all over it, surely to be abused by every reviewer hack running through the treadmill of cliches.

To be honest, gear and all things associated with it must meet my own aesthetics, as well as Audrey's. And when I purchase something, I weigh in the appearance of the gear as well. On the other hand, different situations call for different solutions. A NYC Loft apartment can really pass with the industrial aesthetic which might not float elsewhere. Of course, taste is pretty relative as are most things.

Regardless, I find it unfortunate that these articles bring forth the Cliche, carrying it high, reinforcing the stereotype adinfinitum...

kh

I dont know which sorry magazine came up with "WAF" but they should be beaten about the head and shoulders with a bag of loose change.

kh

Agree there, for sure. It's just a gross generalization run amok.

When I bought my first Cornwalls, my wife thought they were big but loved how they sounded. She humored my passion for music, but seven years later, she has really developed a critical ear for the reproduction of music.

When I brought home my first pair of Klipschorns and stuck them in the basement awaiting their rehab, she noted "the refrigerators down there" and let it go at that ... with a smile. Months later, I brought them up into the living room and she welcomed them. Some evenings, I'd find her there listening to her own music, and she'd comment on how nice the ole Eico 81 sounded with the Klipschorns. Her listening continued to evolve to the point where she'd notice the natural sound of the cello with JFL's home-made SET's.

With our current home, the Klipschorns and Belle are in storage and the 2-channel system is up in the apartment over the garage. We're listening to music with a Denon AV receiver and a pair of Heresies. The sound could certainly be worse, but she just told me the other night, "I'm looking forward the refrigerators being back in the house."

Sometimes you just grow.

It's the pussification of the American male, plain and simple.

I would never even consider asking my wife opinion, let alone permission about a hi fi or record purchase.

Then again she's well aware than I would never put us in debt with any of these purchases.

As far as decor goes, we have similar tastes and rarely has either of us dragged home somethng the other thought was hideous (well, there was that wagon-wheel suite of furniture when she was going through the Thomas Molesworth stage that I just bit my tounge about ).

"Yes, a turntable is fine, but what's wrong with the $500 one? Why on earth does it have to be the $10,000 one? "

Hey - I resemble that remark!

Mutual tolerance and teasing in this house - I go on about her shoes - she goes on about my stereo - no biggie - neither will bankrupt us - that is my daughter's job!

I would never even consider asking my wife opinion, let alone permission about a hi fi or record purchase.

Then again she's well aware than I would never put us in debt with any of these purchases.

As I was mentioning earlier , you have learned to trust each other (truth, finance, decorating the home) to have a good marriage. [;)]

My wife of 26 years is not a music lover. She watches TV continuosly.

I have a small dedicated music room that is my room. She never says a thing about any of my stuff or how I have it decorated. It is nice because I can listen to music anytime I want, at even relatively high volumes.

If I had to have my system in the living room, I am sure there would be problems. But we seem to have a living situation that works well for us.

When I run across equiptment or software that I want, I just bring them home and they go into my room. I have never asked permission, as then she would expect her permission given everytime I wanted something. Which over time would lead to resentment from me, for giving her the power of making the decisions. And resentment from her, if I did something that she said she didn't want me to do. LOL Does that make any sense?[:D]

"Yes, a turntable is fine, but what's wrong with the $500 one? Why on earth does it have to be the $10,000 one? "

Hey - I resemble that remark!

Mutual tolerance and teasing in this house - I go on about her shoes - she goes on about my stereo - no biggie - neither will bankrupt us - that is my daughter's job!

Some people relish the past (expensive turntables). [:)]

I

think the silliest argument is the performance from a expensive

turntable /cartridge versus a excellent CD or DVD. I have friends

boost that their turntable and records sounds just as good as a CD!

Some of these guys still live in a "stereo world" and own tape decks,

but eventually they get wise and purchase a decent HT system. [8-|]

I guess the sign of a unhappy relationship is when you see the guy stuck with a very old stereo and speaker system. [:D]

You guys have brought up some good points but don't forget this is an audio forum,sort of our hobby and if doesn't "break the bank" our spouses are for the most part-ok with it .

I have yet to lose any money on any of my audio purchases and I do like to try different things (mainly those recommended to me on this forum) but I also am a smart (Re:Frugal) shopper and don't jump on the first item I see.

But, if you talk to the "masses" they are more than happy with their Bose cubes and are actually quite proud of the sound coming from these "cute" speakers.Back in the day it was all about big items Cars, Speakers, etc. and now-a-days it's more about the small factor, i-pods, BWM Mini's, etc.

I have had two of my Wifes friends make comments about my Klipschorns ranging from "I don't believe you let Jeff have these speakers in your living room" to "why don't you just get a Bose Wave radio? It's the best out there" so you can see what most peoples idea of "high end" is.

Luckily, my wife is ok with my hobby and my two children adore music in general so I joke with my wife that "It's not for me, it's for the Family" :)

Jeff

Allan Songer said: It's the pussification of the American male, plain and simple.

[:D]

A quote from one of my neighbors. She and her husband were over Thursday night with several other people. Her husband expressed how great my Cornwalls sounded. "Don't you even think about putting two big ugly things like that in my house! Sorry Susan." Well, this prima donna has never worked a day in her life. Susan, (my wife) has been 50/50 with me on every thing. She prefers the Forte IIs in the family but will put up with the big boxes until the lower level is complete.

Of course, if youre not quite as macho as our friend Allan, or for those rare times you dont want to take a chance, you may want information on the garymd & boomac school of gear rolling!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It's the pussification of the American male, plain and simple.

As far as decor goes, we have similar tastes and rarely has either of us dragged home somethng the other thought was hideous (well, there was that wagon-wheel suite of furniture when she was going through the Thomas Molesworth stage that I just bit my tounge about ).

Wow. If I brought that attitude home, my partner would not be there waiting for me. In my house, we are very much equal partners. She doesn't need to work, and we have a 9 mo. old daughter she could stay home with, but she does. She is her own person with her own opinions and I respect that. She treats me with equal respect. All household decisions, including speaker choice (she does not care much for debating choice of electronics) are made in that context.

The Man Song... by Sean Morey.... if anyone can find a link to the mp3, this is hilarious. e Man Song by Sean Morey

The Man Song

The Man Song by Sean Morey

man_2.jpgI don't take no crap from anybody! ... else but you.
I wear the pants around here!...when I'm finished with your laundry.
'Cause I'm a guy you don't want to fight! ... when I say "jump" you say "yeah, right".
I'm the man of this house! ... until you get home.

What I say goes around here! ... right out the window.
And I don't want to hear a lot of whining! ... so I'll shut up.
The sooner you learn who's boss around here! ... the sooner you can give me my orders, dear.
'Cause I am the head honcho! ... but it's all in my head.

And I can have sex anytime! ... that you want.man_1.jpg
'Cause I'm a man who has needs! ... but they're not that important.
And don't expect any flowers from me! ... because if I'm not mistaken you prefer jewelry.
I'm the king of my castle! ... when you're not around.

And I'll drink and watch sports whenever I want! ... to get into trouble.
And I'll come home when I'm good and ready! ... to sleep on the couch.
Because a man's got to do what a man's got to do! ... and I'm going to do what you tell me to.
Because I'm top dog around here! ... but I've been neutered!