New RF-7 Owner!!!

jstoli

Greetings Fellow Klipsch Fanatics!

As a belated Xmas present for myself, I just purchased a brand new pair of black RF-7's. Originally I was looking at Polk Rti 12's and listened to them several times, but I had seen a thread on the Polk forum comparing the two, so I had to give the Klipsch's a look, since I really wasn't familiar with the brand. I was very impressed and decided to give them an audition. Wow, I was simply blown away!! So I bought them yesterday and brought them home. Had to make two trips since my Bimmer would fit only one of the monsters at a time! (hehe)

Now that they are hooked up, they sound even better than at the dealer. I have attached some pics of my setup, which is very modest and about 10 years old. I will eventually upgrade the Pioneer receiver to probably an Outlaw amp & pre/pro, and the Sony Carousel to one that can play SACD. The Yamaha EQ will get used as needed for deficient recordings, but I haven't found the need to use it so far since the RF-7's sound great with the tones set flat. The PSB 500 speakers did the job admirably for a long time, and produce an amazing amount of bass for their size. However, the RF-7's are in a whole different league!

Here are my observations so far after one day:

1. They look awesome, especially in black. Makes for a very nice contrast with the copper woofers.

2. They play very LOUD! I barely turn the volume to about "2", and already the RF-7's are louder than the PSB's at "4". I dare not turn it up past "4" just yet as they are still getting broken in. I can only imagine what they will sound like with a real heavy duty amp!

3. They have a very wide dynamic range.

4. The highs are very crisp and clear, even at lower volumes, and reveal a lot of detail. I am hearing background noises in recordings that I never even knew existed, like pages turning or breaths being taken. Makes for a very "live" sounding performance, which I love.

5. They do sound a shade bright, but nothing I will complain about. Besides, the brightness should subside over time as the tweets get broken in. The dealer said that it can take 100 hours for the tweeters/horns to fully soften.

6. Unless you're a total bass freak or have a very large room, I see no need for a separate subwoofer with the RF-7's. Those four 10" woofers are already shaking the walls pretty good!

As you can tell, I am extremely happy with my purchase, and in my opinion the RF-7's are worth every penny. For those of you on the fence in making a decision, just go for it! You will not be disappointed!

Jason

Congratulations, I've heard them once at a dealers and they are very much worth getting excited about.

Of yeah, and welcome to the forum. Plenty of helpful folks here to help you get the most out of them.

Very Nice, I know you will just LOVE the RF-7, they're fantastic, been enjoying the RF-7 for two years and just got a 2nd pair.

Wow, you did the same thing I did. I almost got a pair of Polk RTI 12 but when I spotted the Klipsch RF-7, I compared it and switched from each playing different kinds of CD music and DVD music/DVD concerts. The Klipsch RF-7 just blew me away and my friends with me were so shocked and said I gotta get the Klipsch. The sales guys was telling us that they call the Klispch RF-7 the Lord of all speakers! :o (what-ever that means) cause he said it whooops butt on any speaker out today, he kept sayin they are bad-a** speakers and was harpen all over us. They played the Eagles - Hotel California (LIVE) DVD and all jaws dropped to the floor, it sound so real like you were there as it was playin on the big screen and only just the RF-7 was playin, nothing else, was amazing! SOLD me right there and forget the Polk in an instant. The Polk just didn't have it in it to create the live and real sound of the Klipsch RF-7 with the only real wow-facter I ever heard in even any Klipsch speaker before.

I'm extremely happy I got Klipsch RF-7 insead of the Polk RTI 12, even if I did like the Polk too, but the Klipsch is just so live and real that I really like. When any one hears the RF-7, never fails, they are so shocked at the awesome sound, they want one too, and my best friend just got a pair too, now he is selling his B&W N803 on craigslist. I think the Polk RTI 12 got my attention originally cause it had so many drivers that looked cool, but performance winner was clear when comparing the two side-by-side.

Thanks to all for the congrats and advice. My space constraints are limited right now, so I have them against the wall pretty close. The bass is still excellent, so it's not a problem. I usually keep the grilles on to make them look more elegant, so if it helps with the brightness, all the better. However, it's cool to take off the grilles occasionally and watch those big 10" woofers pump out the sound [:D]

KlipsDude, interesting similarity with the Polk Rti 12's. They did sound very balanced and look great, but they were totally eclipsed by the RF-7's in terms of bass, dynamics, and clarity. The RF-7's really do produce a "live" sound. I have the Rush Chronicles CD, and the live songs "What You're Doing", "Passage to Bangkok", and "Mystic Rhythms" make me sound like I'm front row! What a way to go deaf!

If I had really had my way, I would have gotten my high school dream speakers, the Polk SDA-SRS. They are by far the most incredible speakers I have ever heard. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no space for the six foot, 180 lb. behemoths. Oh well, not like I'm really wanting for anything with the RF-7's...

Jason