University Classic Part 2 Driver Specs & Mods

ajsons

The first Classic thread is now 6 pages long, so I'm starting Part Two and it will be mostly about drivers specs, construction details, and improvements.

I will post cad drawings of added parts (reflectors, braces, etc) or modified pieces later on.

Inputs (photos, comments, etc.) are definitely encouraged.

The specs for the C15W woofer are hard to find, but now it is on this forum. I found this from an old issue of Speaker Builder. The bolt pattern for this woofer matches most of todays 15" woofers, so substitution is not a problem.

post-14184-13819280917532_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a dual impedance woofer, it shows up on ebay every now and then, so paying $200 for one (and it had happened on more than one occassion) in excellent condition is insane. I waited and bidded when nobody was paying attention, got three for about $60 each. They are all in excellent condition.

post-14184-13819280921446_thumb.jpg

The black version. I think University started making this when they moved to a different plant.

Here's a description from a 1961 ALLIED RADIO CATALOG:

MODEL C-15W 15" WOOFER. TOP-PERFORMING WOOFER FEATURING SPECIAL-DESIGN
DUAL VOICE COIL--TWO ELECTRICALLY INDEPENDENT VOICE COILS ON A SINGLE WOOFER.
DUAL-SPIDER PISTON AND 6-LB. MAGNET ASSURE CLEAN RESPONSE FROM BELOW 25
TO 1500 CPS. CAPACITY, 50 WATTS. DUAL IMPEDANCE VOICE COIL ASSEMBLY
PERMITS USE IN ANY SYSTEM OF 4-20 OHMS. DEPTH 10 1/2".

The depth applies to the gold and green version above. The black one appears shorter.

post-14184-13819280921786_thumb.jpg

The Cobreflex is really a hi-fi speaker, not PA, but found its way in that arena, perhaps because of its utilitarian look. It sounded very good to me with the EV 1824M midrange and a little harsh with the T-30 driver it came with.

Here's mine, one disassembled, ready for final sandblasting.

post-14184-13819280933_thumb.jpg

The University T-30 mid driver

ajsons -

Thanks for starting the new thread. That appears to be a T-30 driver on an H600 mid horn.

If there's an adjustable, black plastic phase plug in the mouth, then it's an H600. They also made a similar horn, the 4409, which I've never seen.

I'm not sure if I have a picture on file. If not, I can shoot one.

Chris

The Cobreflex is really a hi-fi speaker, not PA, but found its way in that arena, perhaps because of its utilitarian look. It sounded very good to me with the EV 1824M midrange and a little harsh with the T-30 driver it came with.

Here's mine, one disassembled, ready for final sandblasting.

Here's a .pdf of the CobreflexIII, which is still made by Electrovoice, although I believe it may now be made of fiberglas instead of cast aluminum.

It appears they now promote the Cobreflex for PA use.

Chris

Cobreflex Spec Sheet - Electrovoice.pdf

Almost missed this one with another shot of the T-30, this time compared to the drivers that University marketed for PA applications. Notice that the T-30 and Cobreflex do dual duty for HiFi and PA. I think you're right about the Cobreflex. It's compact, utilitarian styling made it "look" like it was made for PA duty and causing audiophiles to dismiss it.

1957-6.jpg