kp-480 power question

djnightshades

I have been powering a pair of these in my DJ rig with a PV cs400, dual mono >200 watts a side at 8 ohm. I'm thinking about bridgeing the amp and running just one at the full 400 watts at 8 ohms. But I have hesitated because I am not sure if the the 72volts is safe or not. The spec sheet on the speakers says half that. Need I worry?

well by briding the amp and then just running one sub you are going to

get the same max SPL as before (assuming no power compression). why

don't you bridge the amp and run both subs in parallel? Can your amp

not handle a 4 ohm load when bridged?

I wouldn't worry about it too much...do they tell you at which frequency? When talking power levels of any kind we're always talking RMS which is the average over the entire passband....you're not going to be at 5 ohms over the entire range - especially if they rate it as an 8ohm speaker. In other words, you're going to have impedance peaks as well which will help balance the overall load that the amp sees. You will notice a bit more resonance at whatever that 5 ohm frequency is (due to a decrease in damping factor), but that might even be a good thing - especially for a disco [;)]

The peavey has a pretty good protection system anyway....just keep an eye on the clip lights and make sure they're not doing any more than flashing. You'll be able to tell right away if the amplifier can handle it or not. And if you get carried away, I'm sure the protection system will kick in long before the amp blows (just don't hold me liable). Also make sure the amp has plenty of ventilation and try to keep it away from smoke and other bad things for amps.