Any Vinyl Guys Here?

Wardsweb

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max,

I didn't even understand most of it, and you talked me out of it.

The only questiona I had are very simple minded one. Do you think the Denon 103 would be a good match for a VPI Scout (JMW-9 arm of course)? I have also seen the Denon 103R (for $250), any thoughts on whether it is a worth while improvement, assuming a 103 is availble for around $140?

Sorry for the rookie question, but I need to start somewhere. I am making the leap from a Project 1.2 table, grado gold. My phono pre is a bottlehead seduction. I am using a passive pre. and plan to integrate Lundahl transformers into the phono pre to give me the additional step up. I have 40db with the stock seductions and up to 30 more with the transformers.

Any recommendations, esspecially cartridges, greatly appreciated.

Bigger,

I think Edmond (Jazman) ran that very setup for a while with a 103 - so maybe he can chime in - but there is no reason it should not work.

The 103R is probably a better cartridge on a normal arm - you do generally get what you pay for. If money is tight go for the 103 standard now and then the 103R later when you can afford to. The 103 then becomes a backup - which is never a bad idea anyway.

Tim,

Wild looking table. At this kind of money, however, I think I would look at the Verdier too. That is the orginal "Maglev" table and can be made to sound STAGGERINGLY good.

At some point prior to purchase I considered a Verdier with an air bearing arm - the ultimate in isolation, but I could not find anyone else that had tried it and it worried me as the cost was not insignificant.

In the end I went the "safe" way and even that took months to get right.

Max,

I didn't even understand most of it, and you talked me out of it.

The only questiona I had are very simple minded one. Do you think the Denon 103 would be a good match for a VPI Scout (JMW-9 arm of course)? I have also seen the Denon 103R (for $250), any thoughts on whether it is a worth while improvement, assuming a 103 is availble for around $140?

Sorry for the rookie question, but I need to start somewhere. I am making the leap from a Project 1.2 table, grado gold. My phono pre is a bottlehead seduction. I am using a passive pre. and plan to integrate Lundahl transformers into the phono pre to give me the additional step up. I have 40db with the stock seductions and up to 30 more with the transformers.

Any recommendations, esspecially cartridges, greatly appreciated.

Bigger.

If you can find it, and you can if you are patient, the Denon 103D is the cream of the 103 series of low output moving coil cartridges from Denon. The 103 though, is still not a bad place to start and can be found in many very expensive vinyl setups because of it's very musical character. I always set my tracking at the high side with my Scout/JMW 9 arm setup. VPI now offers a headshell weight for additional tonearm mass if you'd like to go that route. Many feel the 103 sounds best with high mass tonearms, I think you will be fine without it, though I have not tried it and can not be certain. I still have a Denon 103D mounted in my second JMW-10 arm for standby use with my Aries.

One place I think you can still purchase a 103; http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LG&Category_Code=DENONCART

Many of the currently available, as well as no longer produced Denon LOMC cartridges are considered some of the best buys in the audio world.

Klipsch out.

Timmikid,

The Balti is a very interesting table at approximately $6,500 US with the SME 312 arm. The feet float the table using opposing magnets.

Did you get to audition this table?

Yes that's the one. The Baltic M as shown above. In real more beautiful than the picture.

• 9 months later...

with all us vinyl guys i dont understand why we cant get a trader thread going, i just found a great little record shop here in york Pa. that i will be frequenting quite alot now and not near as much time will be spent at the good will, or salvation army going thru there piles, looks like the stores prices range from 3 bucks to ????????? i saw a couple there that were interesting i just didnt have time to spend today, best thing is he does deals trades etc... for the stuff i dont want or need

as far as my rig goes its a clearaudio champion level 2 with an origin live silver arm, and a denon 103, thru the b-berry x treme with cream sonic bliss for now......

Joe

yes it came togeather pretty well after all the hub bub, i had to fabricate a armboard to accept the pete riggle vta adapter and i am pretty happy with the way it came out (alot easier to do than i originally thought), the sound is the best i have had and eventually i will upgrade the cartridge....... but for now im just happy to set back and listen

phonostagepowersupplygkkp2.jpg

My DIY Phono Stage power supply above

Gain stage below with more supply below

This is a MC phono stage with 66db of gain.

Yes its a Giant no doubt! But its resulting

sound is nothing less than many of these stellar

Tables and Cartridges.

phonostagecompletetubesgf9.jpg

SET12

DrWho wrote: Lol, any decent quality TT option out there that costs under $500? How bout under $200?

Although the high-end turntables probably sound amazing, you can find a deck that will make you happy for much less money. Last year, I picked up a Technics SL-1400MK2 ('78 vintage?) for only $140Cdn. It came with a low-end Audio-Technica CN5625AL cartridge, the yellow one, and the sound was nothing special. Then I had a Shure M97Xe cartridge installed and the sound was transformed! I hadn't realized that vinyl could sound that good. Better dynamics and clarity and reduced surface noise were very noticeable.

Now my friends could hear why I started to prefer LPs to CDs. There's a much more "live" feel to the sound, revealing fine details, that makes CDs sound "canned".

The owners of high-end belt-drive units may roll their eyes at this, but I really like the quartz-locked direct-drive concept. It's unfussy and very reliable, with dead-accurate speed control. 45rpm LPs? Just push a button to change the speed. In a way, the Technics DD turntables are a little like Klipsch speakers, in that they sound great and are built to last nearly forever, even in daily use by DJs.

Pat on the Island