Poll: Pioneer Elite Plasma vs. Sony SXRD Rear Projection TV

customsteve01

Personally I voted for the Sony. Im not impressed with the Pioneer line of Plasmas. And the Elite only offers a better warranty, a little better cabinet, and menu/screen options. Having seen the Sony SXRD next to the Pio Plasma. I thought the Sony had a better picture (personal Pref) Maint. issues are as you said, but really arent that big of a concern until you've had the TV for quite a while. Again I'd go with the sony, The SXRD and Bravia line LCD are very nice HDTV's

I have seen the Sony side by side with the best DLP and IMO the Sony blew them away in picture quality. It was much more crisp and detailed and the blacks did appear blacker.

I have not seen a side by side with the Sony and the Pioneer. I know a place that carries both but when I went in there they didn't have the Pioneer set up, they were redoing the room.

The light engine in the Sony is the same that is in thier Qualia line.

Steve

Steve,

does the Pioneer have a Contrast Ratio OVER 11000:1? does

it have black level down to 0.006 Lums? does it have great

color, maybe slightly off (to an expert w/ equipment) but "where it's

off, it's off in the right way"?

'nuff said.

but if it were a choice between video & Klipsch......hmmmm, let me think on that. ;-)

sxrd.pdf

The Pioneer Plasmas seem VERY exciting to my eyes BUT the SOny SXRD is supposed to be the best picture EVER from Sony...I have seen them several times at different Best Buy stores and only once did it really look outstanding so I am guessing the set up was lacking elsewhere...

My vote would be for the Sony I think...

Bill

the sony sxrd is very nice, and i almost bought it . . . . but my 23 yr old daughter, with better eyes than mine, saw alot more of the shadow imaging on fast movement-----kind of a blur. . . . subtle, but once detected, more "noticeable"

sat with the wife and watched the panny plasma for quite a while at one store, and then took her down to the pioneer joint to see the phd 930. My wife is cheap (money wise) and I KNEW that when she saw the pioneer was $1500 more than the panny, that she would "prefer" the panny.

WRONG - - she much preferred the picture on the new 930 . . . .. surprised the heck outta me (which rarely happens after 25 yrs of wedded "bliss") but it is sswwwweeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt !

WoW, were getting some great reviews but I am still confused. I figured the vote would head to the Sony.

I really don't think I could go wrong with either, but I just want the most bang for my buck. And above all I don't want to be disappointed with what I end up with. I really suck at making big purchase decisions

I have a worry about the Sony, I wont accept 1080p input

Pioneer worry, And this one is lame, DirecTV will not have a box with "Tivo" that will work this TV till summer, I told you it was Lame.

Anyone that owns one of these please list your pro's and con's

Steve

I made the decision to replace my Pioneer 510HD with the Sony SXRD after a lot of research and comparison to both Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas; however I am going to hold out until they come out with a model that has a 1080p input. It should be realeased in late summer or the fall. I did not want to buy a TV and not take advantage of the latest technology.

I made the decision to replace my Pioneer 510HD with the Sony SXRD after a lot of research and comparison to both Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas; however I am going to hold out until they come out with a model that has a 1080p input. It should be realeased in late summer or the fall. I did not want to buy a TV and not take advantage of the latest technology.

Smart thought waiting on the HDMI connection for the 1080p input.

My Pioneer PDP505-CMX has two HDMI inputs. One for my Scientific Atlantic Hi-Def cable box's HDMI output and the other for my NeuNeo up-conversion DVD player's HDMI output.

To replace a 32"? Is this in a great HT room or the family room for everyday viewing? If it is for everyday viewing, I would buy a cheap 42" plasma or other cheaper 42" rear projector and wait till this whole HD, HDMI, Broadcast flag, HD DVD, 1080i vs 1080p settles down, and then buy a biggie for the super HT room. You do NOT want to lay down the big bucks for an Sony SXRD and then find out that it can only take 1080p over component video, in ED, because the broadcast flag does not send HD to anything but HDMI. But if you think that all will work nicely together in the next 5 years then go for the Sony!

born2,

yeah, that almost kept me outta the game for the sxrd, but it takes a

1080i input & well I don't know how it could do much noticably

better w/ a 1080p input, which, I GUESS, will be available some day

(now only via computer graphic card).

actually, when I looked at it at C-City, the Super there insisted they

were feeding it 1080p w/ their laptop. probably 1080i

though, as, as usual, they don't know WTF they're talkin' about at f'n

C-City or B-Buy.

all I can say is this video-in-box does my cheap toshiba 540p dvd

excellent. nice scaler. & deinterlacing is much easier

than scaling. when it gets a 1080i input I don't know if I

or many could tell the dif from a 1080p input.

& NO, I'm not a Sony dealer or anything. I just really like

mine. & it hasn't even been professionally calibrated yet.

[:D]

post-3855-13819281080956_thumb.jpg

Bang for the buck the SXRD wins easily. I have the 50" SXRD and am very pleased. My local electronics superstore (Fry's) is advertising the 60" SXRD for $3499!!!! Circuit City has the 50" SXRD for $2999 this week also.

As far as 1080p inputs, I am being told that the two Firewire input on the back of the SXRD will support 1080p.......

The Elite is a great looking set, and I would maybe pick that if cost was not an object. Just can't beat the SXRD for value though.

Have fun with whatever you get!!!