Tivo or regular DVR? Plus, what DVD recorder is recommended?

D-Rex

I never hear much mention of whether the forum members here use a TIVO or a DVR. I like my TIVO because I can view up to two weeks in advance and can have my favorite TV shows record automatically. Can a DVR do this? What else can do this? I was thinking of purchasing a combination DVD recorder/TIVO.

Since I am starting from scratch (other DVD player bit the dust), what DVD play/recorder would you guys recommend? Is there a such thing as a DVD recorder that also upconverts?

Let me know some of your thoughts!

D

I never hear much mention of whether the forum members here use a TIVO or a DVR. I like my TIVO because I can view up to two weeks in advance and can have my favorite TV shows record automatically. Can a DVR do this? What else can do this? I was thinking of purchasing a combination DVD recorder/TIVO.

My non-TIVO DVR from Charter does this also. Up to two week programming and can be set up to record a certain show whenever it airs. Also has HDTV decoding built-in.

{EDIT} I just looked and its a Motorola MOXI Broadband Media Center.

My non-TIVO DVR from Charter does this also. Up to two week programming and can be set up to record a certain show whenever it airs. Also has HDTV decoding built-in.

{EDIT} I just looked and its a Motorola MOXI Broadband Media Center.

Do they charge you a monthly fee? Can you set it up to update via a wireles router using a wireless adapter? The one I use on my TIVo is a Netgear Wireless Adapter that plugs into a USB port.

Thanks,

D

Nope, the Motorola pulls all it's data off the cable line. I actually have both just for High Def and the Tivo for SD in my bedroom. The Motorola's user interface is awful in comparison to that of the Tivo. On top of that, I've found that the Motorola actually is prone to missing recordings on a semi-regular basis (I can't get it to record seasons of House for the life of me). But yes, I love my Tivo. And also the new Series 3 Tivos are going to be coming out at the end of the year and those feature recording of two channels simultaneously and HD decoding/recording.

I think my system listing makes it clear how I feel about my Tivo. I have never tried just a plain DVR.

My favorite is when I accidentally am sitting in front of the TV when a show I want to see is on. I will not start watching the show for at least 10 minutes to avoid the commercials. Also, it is like you are stealing time. An extra 10 minutes that normally would have been filled watching those lame commercials!