Evolution of my stereo system

wuzzzer

Sony Sony Sony. Up until a couple years ago the only name I associated with any type of stereo equipment was Sony. My best friend had Sony gear most of his life and he got me hooked on it too.

It all started when I was shopping for an HDTV two years ago. I had a Sony 27" tube TV. It was nice, but I really wanted an HDTV. Saw an ad in the local Ultimate Electronics for a 42" Mitsubishi for under $1000. I could hardly bring myself to go look at something that didn't have that 4-letter word (Sony) on it. I went reluctantly. I did look at the Sony TVs while I was there. I also looked at the Mitsubishi. I went home with the Mits. I thought its picture was much clearer and more natural. I still love Sony Trinitron tube TVs, but the Mits got my vote for the big screen. Thus began the de-throning of Sony at my house.

My Sony DVD player was a non progressive scan model that needed replacement. Once it started locking up in the middle of most movies I watched it was time for it to go. My boss had a dinner party at his house and had a huge assortment of gifts he gave away. One of them was a Magnavox progressive scan DVD player. Not exactly high end stuff, but a big improvement from the Sony.

The addition of a Motorola DVR meant my Sony VCR is serving official dust-collecting duty. Haven't used it in a couple years now.

My purchase of RF-25 speakers opened my eyes to the need to replace my Sony Dolby Pro-Logic receiver. It was very outdated and was way too bright. Plus my wife spilled beer on the remote and you couldn't turn it down anymore, only up. Thanks to the advice of certain folks on here such as Colin I then purchased a vintage Harman / Kardon HK 730 Twin Powered receiver.

My Sony 200 disc changer was next given the boot. It skipped terribly when I turned the volume up and, like the receiver, was way too bright. My most recent audio purchase was a Denon single disc player with a beautiful, neutral sound. My 200 disc changer now acts as a CD storage unit.

So there you have it. I went from Sony (TV) Sony (VCR) Sony (DVD) Sony (CD) Sony (Receiver) to Mitsubishi (TV) Motorola (DVR) Magnavox (DVD) Denon (CD) Harman / Kardon (Receiver)

I still have my PlayStation 2 and my Sony alarm clock. Thinking more about it I also have a Sony answering maching but I haven't used that in a long time.

I guess I'm living proof that there's life after Sony! [:D]

I have friends who followed the same progression. Sony makes some very good stuff for the average person but then some of these average people hear systems that are on the next level with quality gear and their average system does not satisfy them. The upgrade bug strikes again!!

Sometimes I wish I could just sit back and enjoy the music and relax. I think once you start spending more and more money on a system your expectations on how it should sound increase also.