Synergy Sub-12 Help

chauncey

Hey,

First off, I'm new to this stuff, so I apologize if I sound like an idiot! I just bought the Quintet III set and the Sub-12. It's hooked up to a Sony STR-DE998. But the STR-DE998 only has a mono sub out and the Sub-12 has two RCA jacks. How should it be connected? Also, I have no idea what to do with the gain, phase, and other settings on the back of the Sub. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Mike

You may get a slightly higher output with a Y adapter that plugs in to both L and R inputs on the sub. Otherwise it will play just fine with only one plugged in.

If you are able to have someone help you set the sub up, sit where you would normally listen to your speakers. Play some music with some decent bass that you can hear/feel. Start with the gain turned all the way down and slowly turn the gain up until the subwoofer is at the level you want it to be. Some people like their subs up higher, some lower. Its all personal preference. With the phase, if its an either/or zero degrees or 180 degrees, use whichever setting sounds loudest at your listening position. Otherwise if it can be set anywhere between zero and 180 degrees, have your friend slowly turn the knob from zero to 180 and then back again. Again, set it where the bass output sounds the loudest. The phase adjustment helps your subwoofer blend with your main speakers better.