I hate purchasing electronics! SXRD, Oppo, NeuNeo, whatever...

D-Rex

This just gets more and more frustrating! It's always compromise, compromise, compromise! Why can't a person every just get exactly what they want at a decent price?!?

Case in point: I go out TV shopping for a month, drag my ill wife around (well she really wanted to as well) and we finally get excited about purchasing the 50"SXRD. Come on, it's a pretty television and neither of us thought the side speakers were asthetically displeasing as I have read from so many on other boards. Well now you get a 1080p screen with no real 1080p connector in back... Oooops! Guess that's one reason why the price has crashed even though it just came out late last year. Did the "early buyers" know that the HDMI connections didn't do 1080p? Probably not but that's what we wanted but we have to compromise to get it. It does have a great picture though so if it drops even just a little more than it would probably be worth it, to me, and worry about 1080p content 3 to 5 to10 years down the road.

Case in point 2: I want a new DVD player, maybe two players, one a recorder, one a nice up-conversion model. Well, I have read on this board and found two niceup-conversion ones in, what I feel, is a very nice price range, the OPPO and the NeuNeo. Both appear to be equally nice with their upconverting features but the NeuNeo is the more beautifully designed player, IMHO, but with the OPPO you get all of the connecting cables you need right out of the box! Why can't somebody give me everything I want at a good price!?! Make a black and a silver player, sell me every cable I might need so I don't have to go hunt down one. Or, at least give me that option!

At least my Klipsch speakers are holding up well! Been going on two years now and am still very happy with their looks and performance!

Well maybe we should start a "shopping for electronics school". We have to learn how to second guess the PR people. I always take my reading glasses so I can read the info pamphlets and make sure I don't have to visit the latrine and subvert my line of thought. Then you have to say to yourself, is that the optimum picture quality you are seeing or something special or something screwed up screwing up a good tv. And then, you have to say to yourself this quote by one of America's most famous oraters: "A man has to know his limitations", "Do I feel lucky enough today to purchase this tv?"

Well, maybe I misquoted.

That's a good point! Not only the PR people should be second guessed but so should the salemen at these electronics stores! I asked if the 1080p Sony's can accept 1080p content through the HDMI port. Of course, the answer was, "Yes, we are sending it 1080p content right now, through the HDMI port." Well, if that was the truth then that is the first time anyone else has heard of it being able to do that! Even someone who services the Sony's said it doesn't accept 1080p content via the HDMI port.

I don't feel lucky, yet... but I am getting there...

Anyone have any opinion about the DVD players... I am leaning towards the beauty but will wait a few more days before I pull any triggers!

D

things change so fast,

three weeks ago , in a thread here, we were discussing the 1080p input thing,

last night i went back to the sonystyle web page and

the new vpl100 1080p projector now accepts 1080p

over dvi/hdmi.

three weeks ago it wouldnt?

a typo, or a product upgrade?

jay

things change so fast, three weeks ago , in a thread here, we were discussing the 1080p input thing, last night i went back to the sonystyle web page and the new vpl100 1080p projector now accepts 1080p over dvi/hdmi. three weeks ago it wouldnt? a typo, or a product upgrade? jay

Would that be this year's version of their 1080p projector versus last year's version that said it was 1080p but really couldn't accept 1080p content? I suppose last year's version can't be retro-fitted to accept 1080p either... I do believe there were two true 1080p rear projectors sold last year but I can't remember which one's they were. Plus, I am beginning to think that I won't notice enough difference between 720p and 1080p on a 50" screen. Now, if I were to get a 60" larger screen then I think there could be some noticable differences.

D

Does anyone know if using an HDMI to DVI adapter still allows you to to

upscale to 1080i? I had a Samsung DVD player that had native DVI

output, but it broke and I replaced it with a Phillips that has

upscaling but comes with HDMI. I know DVDs can't do 1080i, but the

Samsung did clean up the image quite a bit. The Philips looks the same

if not worse at 1080 than it does at default settings.

i dont think the screen size would matter as far as the imporovement in picture quality goes

i thing on any screen size the improvement would be worht the upgrade, as you still have twice as many pixles so they would be much smaller.

the smaller pixle size is where the improvement in picture quality comes from

jay