Rear Suround Choice

bigrol21

I have been around here for almost 2 years so I will take a stab at answering your question. Now, I knew nothing about speakers until I started frequenting this forum so 1) I probably still don't know much, and 2) What I do know is probably wrong.

With that said, it depends on how you are using your surrounds and their distance from your listening area. If your rear surrounds are closer to your listening area (say, your couch) then the RS line would probably disperse the sound better. However, if your surrounds are several feet behind you then the RB line will also disperse enough to give you a very good surround sound effect. The added bonus from having RB's ( hear, never experienced myself) is that they produce a better sound with music than the RS line. Now, somebody can certainly correct this portion if I am wrong.

Personally, the way my room is currently set-up, I could use a pair of RS speakers instead of My RB 5s. However, I am redecorating my living room (interpret as moving crap around) so that I will have a greater distance between the location of the RB surrounds and my listening area. I expect to do this by the end of the month and then I might be able to test some of the crap I just spewed above. [;)]

Thanks for taking the time and your input. That sounds like it makes sense. I do not have any space between my couch and the rear wall. When I am watching a movie, I will pivit the speakers slightly towards the couch. It's funny, I don't want to lose the music quality by going with the RS25's but I rarely have my rears on when listening to music anyway. I just wonder how much an improvement they would be. I would hate to waste the money. The RB's are barely a year old.

Well, if you don't listen to your music in 5 channel then you don't have to worry about how those surrounds perform musically. However, I can't tell you that it is worth the loss by selling your RBs and buying the RS's. Maybe someone who has tried both set-ups can chime in and tell you what they decided was best for them and why.

Good luck!

D

I am currently using RB25's as my rears and I was told by a local sales rep that if I went with the RS25 it would make a difference. Can anyone confirm this? I have no doubt that it will sound better but is it worth the cost of upgrading? Please help.

It would help if you posted your system profile. Some folks may be able to give you a better idea on how to upgrade components or speakers in your system. [;)]

I have the 25's series big brother--The RB-75's and RS-7's. When I exchanged the RS-7's and put my RB-75's in the rear (7.1 set up) I didn't notice that much difference--they both are good speakers. IMO, I would stick with what you have unless you can take a pair of RS-25's home to audition them. [:)] {edit: There is no link to what your room looks like}