Klipsch Referance Line IV vs Klipsch Reference Line III

Labbetuss

Wow - I feel asleep for a few minutes and my speakers became "obsolete"! Hadn't checked the web site for a while and it looks like I'm going to have to find these new beast and give them a listen.

Can't believe thr RF-7's are already in the "discontinued" area [:o]

• 3 weeks later...

I am a dealer in GA, and received my RF-83s today. I have been "a/b" ing the speakers all day since i cracked open the boxes at 9am this morning. They definitely sound different. I would certainly say that the RF-83s sound more natural than the rf-7s. The tweeter is an obvious improvement over the rf-7s tweeter. I mean dramatic, it's much tamer, and has a much smoother sound, no clipping. Now, that being said, the horn and tweeter, being smaller on the RF-83, does not, in my opinion, do as well of a job on the mid-upper range vocal extension as the RF-7. To me, the RF-7 is much louder, and more front stage focused than the rf-83 (one con to a deep cabinet is staging, it's a long way from the speaker to the rear port), on pure vocal tracks, the vocals "breathe" more out of the RF-7s, but that comes at the price of clipping and minor distortion at high volume levels. The RF-83s are more balanced, not overbearing, and subtle, and you can continue to crank the volume, and they stay balanced. Those who like loud, rock, hip-hop, or even pure vocal music, might find it hard to depart from the RF-7 to the RF-83. Those who listen to softer, smoother, more detailed music will certainly appreciate the subtle, but forceful (the three eights can slam!!!) and more natural tones of the rf-83.

I would say the RF7's have a more edgy top end,not as smooth as the newer Reference top of the line. Smoothness is very important with many of the lesser amps and receivers the vast majority of people use. Try a sub $1000 receiver with the RF7's and after switch to a Sunfire or a Celeste Moon power amp.BIG improvement,with the RF7's(I used them front and back).

Yes the RF7's sound is BIG,huge almost.Its a Heritage in SPL desguised as a Reference series.The bass punch with the RF7's from the two 10" woofers is quite amazing when paired with a Celeste W5,a sub is only needed to extend from 40Hz down and not called upon often on most material. Very impressive

And I think Klipsch is looking to entice new buyers with smoother sounding and less edgy speakers.Now you have smoothness and output in one package.Will not please all the hard core Klipschers but will gain many new fans.

Me I prefer the RF7's approach,power and brawn,when I need to listen to some extra smoothness and balancve I have my Dynaudio 3.3's.

I am a dealer in GA, and received my RF-83s today. I have been "a/b" ing the speakers all day since i cracked open the boxes at 9am this morning. They definitely sound different. I would certainly say that the RF-83s sound more natural than the rf-7s. The tweeter is an obvious improvement over the rf-7s tweeter. I mean dramatic, it's much tamer, and has a much smoother sound, no clipping. Now, that being said, the horn and tweeter, being smaller on the RF-83, does not, in my opinion, do as well of a job on the mid-upper range vocal extension as the RF-7. To me, the RF-7 is much louder, and more front stage focused than the rf-83 (one con to a deep cabinet is staging, it's a long way from the speaker to the rear port), on pure vocal tracks, the vocals "breathe" more out of the RF-7s, but that comes at the price of clipping and minor distortion at high volume levels. The RF-83s are more balanced, not overbearing, and subtle, and you can continue to crank the volume, and they stay balanced. Those who like loud, rock, hip-hop, or even pure vocal music, might find it hard to depart from the RF-7 to the RF-83. Those who listen to softer, smoother, more detailed music will certainly appreciate the subtle, but forceful (the three eights can slam!!!) and more natural tones of the rf-83.

I would say the RF7's have a more edgy top end,not as smooth as the newer Reference top of the line. Smoothness is very important with many of the lesser amps and receivers the vast majority of people use. Try a sub $1000 receiver with the RF7's and after switch to a Sunfire or a Celeste Moon power amp.BIG improvement,with the RF7's(I used them front and back).

Yes the RF7's sound is BIG,huge almost.Its a Heritage in SPL desguised as a Reference series.The bass punch with the RF7's from the two 10" woofers is quite amazing when paired with a Celeste W5,a sub is only needed to extend from 40Hz down and not called upon often on most material. Very impressive

And I think Klipsch is looking to entice new buyers with smoother sounding and less edgy speakers.Now you have smoothness and output in one package.Will not please all the hard core Klipschers but will gain many new fans.

Me I prefer the RF7's approach,power and brawn,when I need to listen to some extra smoothness and balancve I have my Dynaudio 3.3's.

Ear

Have you persoanlly heard the RF83s yet? If so sorry inadvance did not see that mentioned in your previous post.

after we got our RF-7s and moved them to the theater room, I've been desperately searching for another pair of speakers that will deliver the same kind of sound, but not be the exact same speaker as the RF-7s... just an aesthetic point about difference. i'm very interested to hear these speakers and see if they do the job i want. I really liked the ear splitting live'ness' of the RF7s, although they did get a bit tiring after a while, so if this is a little more smoother, then it sounds like its perfect for me. on paper its only a bit less sensitive than the RF7s, does that hold up to be true in direct comaparison too?