Bad DVD ?

dtel

• Moderators

I got this Sound Stage presents Steve Winwood dvd live in concert which has a bunch of spots where it freezes and makes a loud stuttering sound. This is the second one, the first one i brought back to BB and they gave me a new one, it's doing the same thing ,don't know if in the same places on the disk though.

I really like the dvd but can't deal with it like this, if i was to turn it up i probably blow a speaker, looks clean no scratches but tried to clean anyway no changes.

I have other sound stage dvd's that are ok.

Does anybody have this disk, guess i will try to return again and see what happens. THANKS

I don't know about the particular DVD you have. But it is certainly possible to get a bad DVD. Things go can wrong during the manufacturing process. Sometimes the problems affect just one or a few copies. Sometimes the problems can affect a large number of copies. The worst problem I ever saw on digital media was a CD that had about half the program missing.

• Moderators

The DVD is Sounstage Presents-Steve Winwood. It is the strangest thing. We purchased the concert DVD from Best Buy probably before Christmas, we played it and it "froze". We exchanged the DVD last week at Best Buy and the new one is doing the same thing.

Maybe these DVD's were in a shipment that was part of a bad "run". If no one else has encountered this problem we may just need to wait a couple of months, see if a new shipment comes in and exchange it at that time. Best Buy will exchange the DVDs, but not issue a refund.

When I watch Terminator 2 during the scene in the garage and they are pulling the bullets out of his back the disk freezes up.

I later bought the deluxe directors extended super duper edition and it still did it but not as bad. I don't know if only certain players, mine is a Denon 2900, have this problem or on any player.

I know when it starts so I forward ahead.

Dtel,

My bedroom tv is a combo tv, dvd, vcr all in one. It would do the same thing on certain discs. Best buy sells a dvd lens cleaner from magnavox and it worked for me, it a green box and has a dvd in it. The dvd has a little brush on it. I was skeptical but it worked great!! hasnt stuttered since.

Dtel, what DVD player do you have. I had a problem with music DVD's on the JVC I used to have. When the disc freezes does it then continue and freeze again at a later spot kind of like a DVD skipping type of action? It could be your player lacks sufficient buffer memory and it is just over loaded. My old JVC did it on a David Benoit DTS music disc. I upgraded players and have had no trouble since.

• Moderators

Sorry missed the reply, Its a Pioneer DV 563A about 2 years old.

I have about 25 other concert dvd's and a never had this problem even on rented movies.I also have a few sacd and dvd A and no problems even played a few Kodak picture disk.

I think i will return and also try the cleaning disk and see what happens.

Tom good thing it don't have any other messages, it would probably say "not this disk again, i won't play it", Although i never played anything dirty on it,yet.

We ran into a DVD (movie) that won't play at all for us. The wife wanted to see Bewitched, (a dud I know but the price was right) and it wouldn't play so we took it back and the replacement wouldn't play either. We get as far as the opening menu then nothing. Twice on the same movie leads me to think of some kind of copy protection is at play as we are using a PC to play our DVDs on. It is the only movie that this has ever happened to us with and we have watched hundreds of movies this way.