Where is the thread on reverse-engineered Jubilee??

bhendrix

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have only collected items posted from this site but I'll post what I think you're looking for. If you want the folder of everything I've snarfed off the site regarding the Jubilee just let me know and

I'll zip it and email it to you.

post-15544-13819281322248_thumb.gif

How does the low bass of the Jubilee compare to the K-Horn? As best I can tell, the K-Horn bass horn is longer. Doesn't this translate (all other things being equal) into deeper?

I seem to remember one of Paul's goals for the Jubilee would be that it would go deeper than the K. If that's correct, how is that accomplished?

How does the Cinema 535 Jubilee bass version compare to the test mule with two twelves and a passive?

Hello,

I am "neandertal" and the drawings for the Jubilee are mine. I was working on reverse engineering the best match to Paul's dream of the "best" possible Klipsch speaker. I used the input from all members who had any exposure to the Jubilee prototypes or any possible suggestions. I (we) produced the design drawings from a composite of ideas. The well dried up and no further suggestions resulted in the project dying before we completed the whole package. The base bin was fairly well resolved but we never did come up with a hardware list or any cross-over ideas.

I will have a set built by the end of the year to prove-up all the assumptions made in the design process. I will be glad to continue work on a final set of drawings if we find a renewed interest.

Bert

Also,

I need to add I do not know who did the PDF drawings. I work in AutoCad and the drawings I posted were as jpgs. The first ones inserted in this thread are the ones I drew. I also would appreciate a zip of all the data that has been collected for the Jubilee in case I have missed something.

Bert

How does the low bass of the Jubilee

compare to the K-Horn? As best I can tell, the K-Horn bass horn

is longer. Doesn't this translate (all other things being equal)

into deeper?

I seem to remember one of Paul's goals for

the Jubilee would be that it would go deeper than the K. If

that's correct, how is that accomplished?

How does the Cinema 535 Jubilee bass version compare to the test mule with two twelves and a passive?

The Jubilee actually doesn't go lower...the real goal was to accomplish

a 2-way design which requires a much higher crossover. I believe the

bass bin is good from 40Hz - 1kHz. But the khorn isn't exactly flat in

its LF extension either, so they would probably be percieved as about

the same.

I was also under the impression that the cinema jubilee was identical

to the "home jubilee" (which doesn't really exist yet). The only real

difference being the finish of the cabinet. I've also never heard of

the cinema line with a passive on it...

Based on what is shown in the AES paper on the Jubilee, I'd have to agree that it doesn't go lower than the K-Horn. That might not mean a similar design couldn't go lower.

I put the graphs on a copier and put an overhead transparency projector sheet in the paper tray. So then the graphs could be overlayed. The scales didn't quite match but that may have been an anomaly of the many copies, etc.

In any event, the low bass was remarkably similar. Maybe someone here can do the same with some computer processing to make an overlay of all three unitis described.

= = =

There is something to be inferred from the article. The old an new horns had to have the same footprint and height. It sems to me that PWK wanted to make a better K-Horn but felt that not matching those parameters would be cheating.

One way of getting lower bass would be to use a driving system with a very low resonance. That has been a continuing goal since the first K-Horn.

Note that there are tales of PWK making the spider less spring-ie by the use of a solvent. Also, he seems to be looking for more volume in the back chamber. That was another mod over the years.

Here with the Jubilee he is using a driver (two) with a very low resonance. Yet given the constraint on overall size, the back chamber has to be small and that bumps up resonance.

The only way to solve this may be the passive radiator which is sometimes described. With enough mass on the passive, it will resonate lower than the active driving system.

Gil

I have only collected items posted from this site but I'll post what I think you're looking for. If you want the folder of everything I've snarfed off the site regarding the Jubilee just let me know and

I'll zip it and email it to you.

Seti, count me in on the zip file, too, por favor. And TNX a lot.

Armando

Mcdermitt........No no no PWK did,nt put chemicals on the SPIDER... he applied a special chemical DIBUTYLPHALATE on the outer surround of his early woofers. This was done with the help of a scientist George Ashworth from Monsanto. This was done to lower free air resonence of the woofer. It was no rumer, I have the technical papers & letters corresponding between both of them. (150 pages).