My daughter's second heart sugery

dkp

David: Please know that your family is always in our prayers. I did follow up as you had asked with the friends of mine whose son had a similar procedure years ago and their son is now 19. I had asked them to allow you to correspond with either them or their son. They first mentioned that he did not have the same exact procedure you'd mentioned. Also, I'm sorry to say that all of the buzz about identity theft these days and such has made the eternally "web-shy". So, they said they would prefer not to converse with people they do not know. It's sad, but I did try, David. Being my freinds, I must respect their wishes. Best of luck with Sophia. -Glenn

• Moderators

David and family,

Dtel and I have three daughters also. Our first born and middle daughter are 16 months apart, and our middle and youngest daughter are 12 months apart. Your daughters appear to be about the same age spread. Our daughters are now 24, 25 and 26, and have blessed us with three grandchildren.

I have the utmost respect for you and your wife. I can not imagine how difficult this must be for you and your family.

Seeing the picture of your girls reminds me how blessed we are to have raised three daughters with no major health complications. The stress and heartache you are now enduring is surely the most difficult you have experienced in your lifetime. I pray that God embrace you in His loving arms and comfort you and your family in your time of need.

• Like 1

Dkp, my prayers are with you and your beautiful daughter. Do not underestimate the healing power of all the prayers given by forum members. I can appreciate a little of what you are going through. My youngest daughter was born as a happy healthy normal little girl. When she was 19 days old she went into convulsions as a blood vessel burst in the ventrical in her brain. She was life flighted from the local ER to Texas Childrens Hospital, where she spent the next 45 days in the pediatric ICU. My wife lived at the Ronald McDonald house and I made the 180 mile round trip about 3 times a week. The worst thing that I remember is the uncertainty of it all. The waiting and the "what ifs" will tear you to pieces if you let them. We just put our faith in the Doctors and asked God to guide their hands. My Amy is now in 2'nd grade and doing well. She has a shunt that goes from the ventrical in her brain to her abdominal cavity to drain spinal fluid. Outside of that you'd never know she ever had a problem. Keep up the prayers and encourage others to do the same. Carl

Thanks to all for such warm words of encouragement and prayer. Sophia has continued to progress since her step backwards on Saturday and was even taking some of her bottle late this morning. She is now off most of the drips (via IV), her chest tube was removed and the central line (IV in a major artery in her neck) will be coming out here shortly. We remain hopeful with the knowledge that her condition, both present and future, are in the Lord's hands.

Here are a couple more photos of Sophia. Unbelievably, she is smiling in both!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a quick update for those who have been following Sophia and her progress.

Sophia continues to do very well and all vital signs remain within normal ranges-for a child with this condition. Her heart rate has been quite low (hovering in the upper 70s and mid 80s-normal is 120), but the cardiologists do not believe that she will require a pacemaker. She will be discharged sometime today with a device she will wear to capture and record her heart rhythm for the next little while.

Since just after the first heart surgery, Sophia's saturation rate (the level of oxygen carried by the blood) has been at 75% at nearly every checkup. For a normal child, anything below 90% is cause for quite a stir. She has looked greyish and frequently will have a tinge of blue around her nose and mouth, although not her lips and tongue, unless crying. However...

After this surgery Sophia's saturation rate has been hovering at nearly 80% and has even gone north of 80 to 82-83 a number of times. This is quite unusual as the level of oxygen in the blood typically drops at this surgery until the completion of the Fontan at 18-24 months. Since she is now so pink, my wife and I have been constantly putting our hands on her forehead to see if she is hot! Her temperature has been normal, but she is actually pink now!!! We have felt like laughing out loud whenever we do this as we're not yet used to her new color!!

Thanks again to all of you who have kept us in your prayers and offerered many words of encouragement. They have all been quite heartfelt by my wife and I. Thank you all so very much.