ConsumerReports HDTV reviews:

efzauner

Well - after much trial and tribulation......I finally got my HDTV! I learned that if HDTV not avaliable

that a LCD TV just over emphasis any signal coming in thru your system.........

Consumer Reports and Consumers Guide were very helpful to me......

I finally settled on a Sony 32" CRT w/HDTV, so that When my cable company finally gets HDTV

that I will be able to enjoy it. Another Plus is that Currently a 32" LCD is about 1,700 whereas

an HDTV CRT 32" is only 800.00..........I could not justify the additional cost........

post-4626-13819281614836_thumb.jpg

BillH,

I enjoy reading your responces to this because I am a bit behind you in this decision...You have tried many of the TVs I was interested in and for many of the same reasons, I am holding off as my 36" CRT is doing fine for now until I make the jump to HD...

Bill

I'm going to guess that since his cable company does NOT have HD yet, he will get all his channels in full screen, then as HD comes around he can have that too but in a slightly smaller screen...the other side of the coin is to have a widescreen and watch everything even smaller on your screen until HD comes 'round...that and cost...$800 for an HD TV of that quality is cheap...the widescreen Sony is almost double that, right???... just my .02

Bill

I did a lot of research on this and it came down to the Toshiba 30 & 34" ($1,000 & $1,800) or the 34" Sony for $$1,300. I would have got the Sony as it had an edge on the Tosh, but I HATE all this silver plastic and the Sony had it and the boarder was HUGE and SILVER, so The Toshiba won. I got the 30" it has HDMI and component. 1080i

I have the Sony 34 widescreen CRT and love it! It has a great pic and I plan to hold onto it for another year or two. By then the prices on 42 and 50 inch plasmas and LCDs will have really dropped.

I think if you are going to wait till your area or cable gets HD the 32 Sony is a excellent choice and for only $800! I am sure when he gets the next one it will be a big widescreen. Also depends on how big his living room is. My living room is 15 x 15 x 8 and I think a 42 inch is as big as I want to go unless I could find a really good deal on a 50.

Has anyone seen the Dell 42 inch plasma? I have heard good reviews about it and since I work for Dell and get a discount it might be a option. There is a Kiosk in the mall here so I need to go over and see if they have one and check it out. Right now the Dell is around $2500 so in a year plus my discount maybe $1750 which is less than what I paid for my 34 Sony.

Enjoy your new Sony mine has been a outstanding tv.

But I've seen Sony 30" widescreen CRT HDTV's for less than $800. This

would actually provide a larger widescreen presentation than a 32"

fullscreen. The trend is for regular programming to go widescreen so

I'm just confused. Plus, is that ALL you watch is tv? Don't you watch

dvd's on this tv?

I'm going to guess that since his cable company does NOT have HD yet, he will get all his channels in full screen, then as HD comes around he can have that too but in a slightly smaller screen...the other side of the coin is to have a widescreen and watch everything even smaller on your screen until HD comes 'round...that and cost...$800 for an HD TV of that quality is cheap...the widescreen Sony is almost double that, right???... just my .02

Bill

Bill ,

You hit the nail squarely on the head! Plus with my view area being only 7' away (10 at the most), this Unit suits me to a T........... Maybe I settled for the ultimate TV too soon, but after all the searching, and try outs........Honestly my head was swimming............

The 36" version was Only 700.00 More! Duh...........no thanks.

In Addition - Sony was offering 2 year -No Payment/No Interest Financing!

I tought the same thing about the silver on my Sony 34 but liked the pic so much I got it. In the last year I have seen my Sony 34 with in black. So it is available in black.

I told the guy at the store that If they painted it black, I would buy it. When I told him that I would spray it. he looked at me in horror. I was serious. They should be easy to mask and spray. Hell, the silver is only paint too.

Has anyone seen the Dell 42 inch plasma? I have heard good reviews about it and since I work for Dell and get a discount it might be a option. There is a Kiosk in the mall here so I need to go over and see if they have one and check it out. Right now the Dell is around $2500 so in a year plus my discount maybe $1750 which is less than what I paid for my 34 Sony.

Enjoy your new Sony mine has been a outstanding tv.

I am trying to hold off buying my HDTV until I see the Dell. Right now my wife is adament about the Toshiba 42HP95. Myself, I am wanting the Toshiba 42HPX95 or possibly the Dell 42". I will let you know what I think about it when I finally get to the OKC or Tulsa mall to take a look at one in person.

D

D,

What you need to remember is that stores (mall setup) are usually on an HDTV signal feed. So they show the Best Picture. If you don't currently have HDTV the picture (I have discovered),the picture is somewhat dark, or that the colors are way to bright in your house. LCD is such a strong signal that it emphasis every flaw or item on the screen.........

In other words .........your picture may vary (when you get it home).........good Luck.

D,

What you need to remember is that stores (mall setup) are usually on an HDTV signal feed. So they show the Best Picture. If you don't currently have HDTV the picture (I have discovered),the picture is somewhat dark, or that the colors are way to bright in your house. LCD is such a strong signal that it emphasis every flaw or item on the screen.........

In other words .........your picture may vary (when you get it home).........good Luck.

Yes, we found that out when we first started looking about a month and a half ago. Both of our jaws dropped when we saw the MITs 1080P rear projector. Come to find out they were feeding it 1080P content from a special MITS promotional box. Now, that doesn't mean it was actually worse than other TVs, I am sure it is great. It just means that with regular content or even current hi def content, your "mileage will vary." I have a good idea what I am wanting the Dell to look like so if it is close then it might be the one I choose. I have always liked Dell products.

D