Best place to purchase a Plasma?

D-Rex

My wife has fluctuated between rear-projection TVs such as the Sony SXRD to the 1080p MITs. Now, she has determined that she wants a Plasma, the two best we have seen in our price range has been the 42" Panasonic and Toshiba Plasma's at Best Buy. So, now I have two questions:

Has anyone purchased from Vanns.com before, or any other on-line dealers that they feel comfortable doing business?

Do they make a Plasma that doesn't have speakers? Don't necessarily need them since I always use my surround speakers.

Thanks,

D

Rex,

Purchase locally-if nothing else it helps your economy! If the unit needs service, I feel , you

have someone in your own area who can help you.

Vans is a valid - Good business, but I think if you compare prices- that your better off

staying local.

I like Circuit City. Mine have bent over backwards to help me. I had to go back to a CRT TV

Finally- are you using Direct or something offering HD content. Plasma and LCD are so

efficient that you see every flaw on your screen. The Pictures shown in the stores are from

Direct TV, and Not representive of the picture you will get when you get the Unit Home!

Rex,

Purchase locally-if nothing else it helps your economy! If the unit needs service, I feel , you

have someone in your own area who can help you.

Vans is a valid - Good business, but I think if you compare prices- that your better off

staying local.

I like Circuit City. Mine have bent over backwards to help me. I had to go back to a CRT TV

Finally- are you using Direct or something offering HD content. Plasma and LCD are so

efficient that you see every flaw on your screen. The Pictures shown in the stores are from

Direct TV, and Not representive of the picture you will get when you get the Unit Home!

I understand what you are saying but I think I should help keep my local sellers honest by purchasing from whomever can provide me the best deal and maintain a healthy dose of customer service. I could buy from Best Buy or Circuit City etc., but they are charging over $400 more than the net (that's including shipping!) and you are certainly not guaranteed better service than any net seller.

I have heard great things about Costco, and they happen to have the TV I am looking to purchase. Excellent return policy, "white glove" delivery. They are also on the west coast so these TVs haven't been flown out to the east coast only to be shipped back west. But, either Vanns or Costco is at the top of my list right now. I will give CC and BB a chance but I do expect them to meet the price. If not, you're outta here!

I am either going to have Digital Cable with as many HD channels that are available or do the DirectTV route, still haven't decided. But, I will probably start out with Cox Cable.

D-Rex,

I bought my Panny 50" plasma from http://www.visualapex.com/ ...

They were incredibly helpful to work with, shipped the unit via a special shipper that they work with exclusively, and the unit was $1500 less than the next best price I could find locally in Massachusetts when I lived there.

I think they are Panasonic's largest on-line dealer and their pricing reflects it. They were just great to work with and I would think that is still the same situation. Give them a call.

Chris

Has anyone ever bought anything from Butterflyphoto.com? I am curious how dependable and legitimate the seller.

http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/searchresults.aspx?cti=4000&pti=4000

Thanks,

D

I actually bought my JVC D-ILA set from them. The TV came as promised in good condition. That being said, (and this is no fault of Butterfly Photo) the TV was transported on its side. Anyone who knows about plasmas know it is a very bad thing when they are placed on their front or back (essentially the screen is destroyed). For that reason I'd be somewhat nervous about getting a plasma display shipped to you from any web dealer. Besides, take the ad in from one of the web sites. More than likely (if you don't get a manager that's an ***) they'll be willing to work with you on the price. My Best Buy does it all the time.

Do you still own that television set Professor Ham? Did the box have any warnings advising 'this end up', or something of that nature?

Sounds like they are legitimate and dependable but their shipper may be questionable. I will contact them personally, including their shipper if I decide to go that route.

Thanks!

D