Name That Engine.....

Gilbert

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DANG!!, I didn't realize there are that many gear heads on this forum.

Many people guessed it right. It's that famous Porche tubo, specifically a mid 80's 930. This particular engine has been endowed with carrillo rods, and is guaranteed to peel the skin off your face during acceleration. I only wish it were mine, and not my friends.

True Gear Heads Never Ever Stop Trying to..... Make It Accelerate Quicker, Make It Run Faster, Make It Lighter and Make It Handle Better. Whether it's a Porche or whatever, makes no difference.

Is that the engine Toyota will be using in NASCAR ?

You got it!! The venerable Toyota pushrod V-8.

.... Interesting technology.

Rick

Rick-

Carbureted and pushrod. .. . . technology and NASCAR Isnt that an oxymoron?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I loved watching Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon wrestle sprint cars around the high dirt banks of Eldora (now owned by Tony Stewart) with lots of slip slidin and passing, or the pavement at IRP. Ive yet to watch a NASCAR parade from flag to flag.

Sprint cars on dirt aint high tech but it's fun to watch. Formula One is high tech but it's a parade.

I'm sure Richard petty recognizes that one Cal. They were cooler with the dual quad ram air intake. The newer clones were the first to break the 5 second barrier.

What is that anyhow?[;)]

"Carbureted and pushrod. .. . . technology and NASCAR Isnt that an oxymoron?"

Actually Gilbert, a lot of the low friction, high output of our modern production motors were devoloped by men like Ernie Elliot, Jack Roush, Robert Yates Etc. Things like thin rings high up on the piston that we take for granted.

Formula one was better last year. Those years where the car was remote controlled by the engineers in the tent was a farce. The technology there has great application as well and will be becoming more commonplace. Things like variable valve timing has already been adapted. Electronic valve controls are just around the corner eliminating the valve train losses of cams and followers. Stratified charge injection will trickle down boosting fuel economy.

Picture this: a stratified charge high horsepower 10K RPM V-8 with selective cylinder shut off and 30+MPG in a full sized sports sedan.

Rick